Macbook pro 2016 vs 2018

Hi guys,

so i’m looking to buy a macbook pro for school use (i don’t want to get a new one in at least 4 years)

i can’t decide between a 15 inch 2016 macbook pro touch bar (16gb ram, 512gb ssd, core i7 2.7ghz turbo 3.6ghz) and a 13 inch 2018 macbook pro touch bar (8gb ram, 256gb ssd, quad core i5 2.3ghz turbo 3.8ghz)

they jave pretty much the same price here in Japan, so which one should I get?

from the specs you listed, the 2016 looks way better. go for that one, as it seems to have a more capable CPU, more ram, and more storage.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

hello friend, Actually as we know that the 2018 version of the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (13-inch and 15-inch models) is the upgraded version over the third generation of the redesign we first saw in 2016. But as you told that you need it for school purpose then I think Macbook pro-2016 is the better option for you.

2 hours ago, fasauceome said:

from the specs you listed, the 2016 looks way better. go for that one, as it seems to have a more capable CPU, more ram, and more storage.

Hmm that’s what I thought of, but i’m still open to more of this forum’s member’s opinion!

1 minute ago, addysmith97 said:

hello friend, Actually as we know that the 2018 version of the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (13-inch and 15-inch models) is the upgraded version over the third generation of the redesign we first saw in 2016. But as you told that you need it for school purpose then I think Macbook pro-2016 is the better option for you.

Thanks for the opinion!

I have another question!

is it worth it sacrificing the specs on 2016 for a ‘better’ 2018 with less ssd and ram?

16 minutes ago, kebabguy99 said:

I have another question!

is it worth it sacrificing the specs on 2016 for a ‘better’ 2018 with less ssd and ram?

In my opinion, it's not better at all. The 2016 is probably better because it's the 15 inch version, more room for goodies. Both laptops have quad core CPUs, and laptop CPUs progress pretty slowly compared to desktop CPUs, so the 2 year difference doesn't mean much.

Also, I'm pretty sure the 2018 model is the one that has the fragile dust-sensitive keyboard.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

45 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

In my opinion, it's not better at all. The 2016 is probably better because it's the 15 inch version, more room for goodies. Both laptops have quad core CPUs, and laptop CPUs progress pretty slowly compared to desktop CPUs, so the 2 year difference doesn't mean much.

Also, I'm pretty sure the 2018 model is the one that has the fragile dust-sensitive keyboard.

Alright! Thanks for the opinion!

8 hours ago, kebabguy99 said:

I have another question!

No honestly if you definitely want Apple get the 2016 model it looks much better spec wise. If I remember the 2018 MacBook Pro has some "Truetone" shit, Hey Siri support, a thin membrane around keys to protect against dust, but it won't change much, just clean your laptop with a microfibre once a week. Also the 2018 Pros have now way to take off stored data in the event of a motherboard failure. The SSD is soldered. So if your laptop decides to brick itself, all data lost.