Define R6 adjust speed of stock 3-pin case fans?

laobeats

Hi everyone,

I just finished my first PC build and it's awesome! Got it to work on first boot.

There is only one question which boggles my mind a bit, which is this:

How can I get the three stock case fans that come with the Fractal Define R6 to adjust their speed according to load? My motherboard is the ASUS Z370-E.

See two attached images for better understanding:

Currently I have my two 4-pin CPU fans connected directly to the motherboard on headers CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT. They work just fine, adjusting their speed via PWM as CPU temperature increases.

The three stock Fractal case fans which are all 3-pin are connected to the three 4-pin headers of the Define R6 fan hub which is in turn connected via 4-pin to the CHA_FAN1 header on the motherboard. I tried connecting the case fans to the 3-pin connectors on the hub first, but in that case the RPM didn't get reported at all, it showed as 0 even though the fans were spinning at 100%. Now RPM shows around 930 and it seems to be fixed no matter the load, even if I set CHA_FAN1 to DC manually in the BIOS.

Does anyone know what I can do here so the 3-pin fans can at least be controlled via DC?

Or is 930 RPM at idle acceptable for case fans? My main concern here is durability and longevity, noise is acceptable for me, it's not too loud.

Thanks for your help!

Define R6 fan hub.JPG

Motherboard layout.JPG

930 is fine for idle. One of my old fans idles at 1800 and I can't make it stop, but it lasted so far.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

The rpm is only reported from the first fan header on the fan hub and isn't necessary to control fan speeds. Plug the 3pin fans into the 3pin fan headers for control. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The rpm is only reported from the first fan header on the fan hub and isn't necessary to control fan speeds. Plug the 3pin fans into the 3pin fan headers for control. 

Alright thanks, so just to be sure I understood you correctly, you mean leaving everything as is except moving the case fan plugs to the 3-pin headers of the fan hub?

hub new.jpg

4 hours ago, laobeats said:

Alright thanks, so just to be sure I understood you correctly, you mean leaving everything as is except moving the case fan plugs to the 3-pin headers of the fan hub?

Yep. If you want an rpm read, plug any of your 4pin pwm fans into the lower 4pin header on the hub.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

For everyone facing the same problem, here is how to solve it:

The fan hub in the Define R6 absolutely has to have a 4-pin PWM fan connected to the first header (bottom right of the hub) in order to be able to control the speed of any 3-pin fans you connect to it.

I got this as a response from Fractal support. My PC is now almost inaudible when idle!

• 11 months later...
On 9/12/2018 at 6:23 PM, laobeats said:

For everyone facing the same problem, here is how to solve it:

The fan hub in the Define R6 absolutely has to have a 4-pin PWM fan connected to the first header (bottom right of the hub) in order to be able to control the speed of any 3-pin fans you connect to it.

I got this as a response from Fractal support. My PC is now almost inaudible when idle!

I just bought the R6 and can verify that the fan hub works without any 4-pin PWM fans attached. It also lets you control the rpm of the 3-pin fans even if you don't have a 4-pin fan attached. You just won't get the rpm reading back to the motherboard without one, but you can still set a custom fan curve for the 3-pin fans and adjust it by ear.

*** Thread locked ***

Please don't revive over 6 months old threads.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv