Is it safe to buy a 6 month old Aorus 1080 Ti was used for mining?

asim1999

I’m planning to bid on an auction that is ending in a few mins. 

‘The Guy has used his 1080 Ti to mine and it’s 6 months old. It does include proof or purchase. 

‘It’s the Aorus 1080 `Ti 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

If you're able to return it than it'd be great because you can test run it.

It's so iffy because who knows how he clocked that thing and what temps he kept it at.. 

I suppose you don't have enough time to ask for any benchmarks either.

Does it seem like that good of a deal at the moment that you're willing to go for it?

I wouldn't, Becuase mined cards have been used at 100% power usually and could fail at any time. It's your choice, but it could be a bad bet. If you can return it, or check temps or utilization that's fine.

With info I learned from Tech Yes City, usually mined cards are safe as long as the user knew what the were doing (undervolting and 100% fan speeds) which would mean the card may be completely fine. But eBay is eBay and if the seller claims it works and doesn't they'll take your side. 

EDIT: and you'll still have a warranty with Gigabyte as well, I'd say go for it boi

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

I'm not quite sure. As mentioned before, it might be fine, as long as it wasn't abused(kept at a high temperature, massively overvolted, etc.); I think I personally wouldn't risk it, though... :o 

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

I personally wouldn't risk it if the price goes above the £550 mark. I would advise that you look for alternatives you can confirm haven't been used for mining if the seller is honest.

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

1 hour ago, EnergyEclipse said:

I personally wouldn't risk it if the price goes above the £550 mark. I would advise that you look for alternatives you can confirm haven't been used for mining if the seller is honest.

I decided to skip this one and get the MSI Gaming X I mentioned in a previous thread for £495. Seller says this card hasn’t been mined onl is a year old, and will include proof of purchase so I still get 2 years of remaining warranty 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2018 at 3:12 PM, Lappensaurus said:

sure,those card where undervoltet to save power

This can be true although the main factor is going to be damage to the card from usage in heavy tasks like mining where possibly adequate cooling was not provided, this has the potential to lower the card's lifespan as well as lower its performance.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

All I can say is, my Leadtek GTX 1080 Hurricane OC was used for mining and it's doing a great job in my HTPC. The difference for me is, I went to the seller's house to pick up the card and I was able to see his mining setups.

His were all open setups and he told me he under volted his cards, also I got the receipt for the card (still had about 30 months of warranty left when I got it) so I can still go to the distributor should the card proved fàulty. We tested the card, it got to POST and that was all I needed.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Usually are undervolted if they know what they're doing.

Ask if the BIOS was flashed to something else and to put back the original BIOS if possible. My only worry would be the fans, which can be replaced if you run into any problems.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx