Windows Subsystem for Linux - please Linus, make a video on that

Barnack

I see around lots and lots of cygwin, "which os whould i use, i need both" and bla bla bla, and it seemed to me like the entire world is not acknowledging that awesome feature Windows 10 gives everyone access too: Windows Subsystem for Linux. Why doesn't Linus do a youtube video about that, so people will know?

You can run natively on Windows most of linux software without virtualization or reboot, it's just awesome!

On 9/10/2018 at 9:39 AM, Barnack said:

I see around lots and lots of cygwin, "which os whould i use, i need both" and bla bla bla, and it seemed to me like the entire world is not acknowledging that awesome feature Windows 10 gives everyone access too: Windows Subsystem for Linux. Why doesn't Linus do a youtube video about that, so people will know?

You can run natively on Windows most of linux software without virtualization or reboot, it's just awesome!

That might be interesting.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

20 hours ago, duncannah said:

Can't beat a VM

i've not done any test with performance profiling purpose, all i can say is if you're programming a non-graphical program for linux targets and your main os is windows it beats BY FAR emulation. You don't have to launch a whole other OS, in case you're on a laptop you don't have to run a battery killing VM. You just run the linux task you need on top on Windows. There are many ways in which that beats a VM.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 12:39 PM, Barnack said:

Some of us where I work use Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).

It makes no sense to use a VM anymore for development. VM limits you access to resource (RAM, storage and CPU), with WSL you have full access like a native Windows application.

The only big distro that is missing is Fedora/CentOS. Fedora was supposed to be the early Linux distro out for WSL, but it got stuck with Red Hat Lawyers and staying there, floating probably on some backlog with 0 interest of having any push as probably Red Hat is not making money from it, who knows.

CLion for Windows got updated with WSL support, which is quite exciting.

On 9/28/2018 at 9:45 PM, GoodBytes said:

Some of us where I work use Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).

It makes no sense to use a VM anymore for development. VM limits you access to resource (RAM, storage and CPU), with WSL you have full access like a native Windows application.

The WSL doesn't let you run an x-server though, so gui applications aren't really a possibility. I last used it in 1607, does the WSL allow you to run network stack applications like ping in newer versions of Windows?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

5 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

The WSL doesn't let you run an x-server though, so gui applications aren't really a possibility. I last used it in 1607, does the WSL allow you to run network stack applications like ping in newer versions of Windows?

You can install an x-server..server for Windows. They are tutorials online to set it up, so that you can run GUI Linux programs. :)

You can ping :)

Microsoft has been improving WSL at each version of Windows 10

Just now, GoodBytes said:

You can install an x-server..server for Windows. They are tutorials online to set it up, so that you can run GUI Linux programs. :)

You can ping :)

Microsoft has been improving WSL at each version of Windows 10

do the gui apps take full advantage of your gpu?

She/Her

19 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

do the gui apps take full advantage of your gpu?

I don't think so. The method basically consist on installing an ssh server and then connecting through a client with x11 forwarding enabled.

• 2 weeks later...

WSL is pretty shitty and very unstable compared to a VM, like all you would need to do it run a Linux VM headless, use putty to ssh into it with X forwarding, and use something like xming, and you that will be much better than the WSL equivalent that can barely run Firefox after you botch the x forwarding of WSL

Sadness is the one true emotion, and happiness, well, that's just a lie, sadness is all many of us feel, and is all we need to feel, because having it any other way, would just be wrong, why be happy when you can just be miserable like myself. 

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:42 AM, Shoe_Eater said:

WSL is pretty shitty and very unstable compared to a VM, like all you would need to do it run a Linux VM headless, use putty to ssh into it with X forwarding, and use something like xming, and you that will be much better than the WSL equivalent that can barely run Firefox after you botch the x forwarding of WSL

for anything that does not require a gui it's actually amazingly stable, and compared to a vm it directly uses the needed resources from your system, no need to cut out more system resources than you'd actually need and keep them locked until you close the vm

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 9:45 PM, GoodBytes said:

In the future they should also add access to GPU suitable for cuda applications, not possible to use 3D capabilities today

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 10:39 AM, Barnack said:

While this is a very cool feature, it wouldn't really reach most of LTT's audience. The very large majority of LTT's audience doesn't give a shit about linux if it doesn't involve gaming. Hell, I'd say that the very large majority of LTT's audience doesn't know their way around a bash shell. 

I think the video would be really short. Like "hey look you can run linux in windows and it's super easy to setup." 

Well, as a Linux user i have to say that this is interesting atleast. But the chances of me actually using it is zero. I'm more likely to dump Windows forever at some point in time :P

9 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Well, as a Linux user i have to say that this is interesting atleast. But the chances of me actually using it is zero. I'm more likely to dump Windows forever at some point in time :P

thats sad but to each their own