Whisk(e)y Appreciation Thread.

Go to solution Solved by Derrk,

nothing beats a nice glass of whiskey/scotch, especially paired with a cigar. I  prefer single malts, but an occasional blend is nice too. Lately i've been on the hunt for a bottle of Nikka Yoichi. I haven't tried it yet but my friends say good things about it. I had a bottle of Miyagikyo, also by Nikka, which was very nice. I've been on a bit of a japanese kick lately, but my other favorites are glenmorangie & glenlivet. 

The best whisky I ever drank was Yamazaki 12yo single malt. Got it on my 18th birthday (legal drinking age in my country) and even though I am now 25 I still cannot forget it's delicate, smooth and smokey taste. Too bad it is now too expensive for me to buy. It was to this day not only the best whisky I ever drank as I already said, it was hands down the best alcohol at all.

I like a good rum. Flor De Cana 12 is one of my favorites. Aged 12 years, $35, very good.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I'm a big fan of Jack Daniels on the American side of things. I toured the distillery twice before I was even 21. I could drink original black label, or any of their higher tiers any day of the week.

On the irish side, I'm a fan of the Jameson Stout Caskmates. Great on the rocks, and great in some coffee with a splash or cream or whipped cream.

I also drink a fair amount of Dewars White Label scotch. It was my grandfathers drink of choice so I picked it up from here. Surprisingly easy to drink a filled glass on the rocks, though casually drinking ~6oz of 80 proof is a good way to get yourself into mischief.

~glad I found this thread

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

2 hours ago, AHaskin14 said:

I'm a big fan of Jack Daniels on the American side of things. I toured the distillery twice before I was even 21. I could drink original black label, or any of their higher tiers any day of the week.

On the irish side, I'm a fan of the Jameson Stout Caskmates. Great on the rocks, and great in some coffee with a splash or cream or whipped cream.

I also drink a fair amount of Dewars White Label scotch. It was my grandfathers drink of choice so I picked it up from here. Surprisingly easy to drink a filled glass on the rocks, though casually drinking ~6oz of 80 proof is a good way to get yourself into mischief.

Welcome mate!

Seems like you have a decent experience in whiskey, bourbon and scotch!

I have had Dewars before, and I have to admit it is very smooth. Personally I prefer smokey flavours that's why I lean more towards Lagavulin.

As for bourbons, I can't really comment on it. I am thinking of picking up a few bourbons this afternoon from work. Any suggestions?

I am also looking at you @Derrk:) 

Thanks fellas.

2 hours ago, AHaskin14 said:

Oh my goodness, i havent had dewars in ages. My late grandfather was also a big fan of dewars and that was of the first scotches I've ever had. Very fine scotch, ill have to pick up a bottle soon

41 minutes ago, Netivity said:

As for bourbons, I can't really comment on it. I am thinking of picking up a few bourbons this afternoon from work. Any suggestions?

I am also looking at you @Derrk:) 

If it fits your budget, id definitely get a bottle of woodford reserve. Theres another one i have in mind but i cant recall the name (currently on vacation//already started drinking)

It may come to me later

37 minutes ago, Derrk said:

Oh my goodness, i havent had dewars in ages. My late grandfather was also a big fan of dewars and that was of the first scotches I've ever had. Very fine scotch, ill have to pick up a bottle soon

If it fits your budget, id definitely get a bottle of woodford reserve. Theres another one i have in mind but i cant recall the name (currently on vacation//already started drinking)

It may come to me later

brilliant, i'll pick one up this afternoon.

Thanks mate

I am a bit picky when it comes to whiskey. So far my favorites are in not any particular order:

- Johnie Walker Blue Label

- Knob Creek

- Suntory Yamazaki

- Suntory Hakushu

- Nikka from the barrel

Also, generally, even cheap Japanese whiskeys are super tasty because they are making them to be "drinkable" so that they can be consumed with food like beer or wine. 

Just one last thing, when ordering a bottle online, I found some special Yamazaki bottle for ~$250k at one Japanese web store.

No explanation, but for a long time now I've had an interest in trying a Rye, so I Iooked around for something on the cheaper end, and grabbed a bottle of Jim Beam Rye. Very impressed, definitely a distinctive taste compared to other things I've had.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Just a slight update. I spent few hours going to various liquor stores in Tokyo and trying to find Hibiki Japanese Harmony (the "cheapest" one) was more ore less mission impossible. It was sold out almost everywhere. The same story with the "cheapest" Yamazaki, but managed to find it in one secluded Donki store. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2018 at 8:30 AM, Derrk said:

It may come to me later

I bought myself that woodford reserve and it is a lovely bourbon. I have to admit though, it is a bit on the weak side in terms of flavour palette, but it is bloody nice!

Got a bottle of suntory toki, that stuff is good. A bit pricey, but not too bad.

20180919_193630.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

At a friend's house for a get-together and someone brought this: Game of Thrones special edition "White Walker." 

Spoiler

1307637150_WhiteWalkerWhiskey.thumb.jpeg.85e0f319c003eeaaba210b2f388a23ab.jpeg

It tastes just like regular Johnnie Walker.

3 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

At a friend's house for a get-together and someone brought this: Game of Thrones special edition "White Walker." 

Reveal hidden contents

1307637150_WhiteWalkerWhiskey.thumb.jpeg.85e0f319c003eeaaba210b2f388a23ab.jpeg

It tastes just like regular Johnnie Walker.

That is awesome!! hahaha

Finally managed to get Hibiki from a small secluded liquor store in Tokyo. It is a trial time as soon as I get back home ?

Blue label would be one of the more exquisite blends iv tried .

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

• 4 weeks later...

I got Canadian Crown Royal when returning from my US business trip. It is relatively cheap and it is not bad at all. I wanted to try good Canadian whiskey and my bet was to try the top selling one. It has quite mild taste so it is easily drinkable. It doesn't have rich taste like other blended whiskey that I tried like blue label, Hibiki etc, but the good thing is that it comes at fraction of the price of previously mentioned ones.  I also like the cloth bag in which it comes.