7950 Randomly says no signal detected

MrCanadianAviator

So recently I was playing the walking dead with my Sapphire Radeon 7950 Vapor-x. About a few hours in both my monitors said no signal detected. I checked all the connections and that didn't seem to change anything. I took the GPU out and put it back in and that did nothing.

So I switched it out with a GTX 550ti in the same slot and It worked and that is what I am using right now. I have no idea what the problem could be but I will be pissed if it turns out that the card isn't working. This has happened before but when I restarted the computer it fixed the problem.

BTW the card does run when plugged in. I can hear the fans and see the light off of it.

It is on the MSi Z77A-G41 MoBo. Any help is apreciated.

I had this the other week with my 7950 vapor x aswell. I don't know if you have this option, but i took the card out, switched the bios to use the onboard graphics from the cpu by default, plugged the card back in, with the monitor running off the onboard still. Once i was in i uninstalled all amd software/drivers, ran a registry scan and fix. Rebooted. then re installed the amd drivers (still using my onboard graphics) then rebooted into bios to change the graphics to use PCIe as default. then plugged the monitor into the gpu, and it went fine.

So if you've got an Ivy bridge chip you should be able to do this looking at your MOBO. Can't remember with these new ones if its the mobo or cpu that does the onboard but i think its the cpu. I was on a z77 board with a 3570k. Hope this helps.

By the way, also clear any Nvidia drivers while your at it as well and run the registry fix. Not sure if the registry fix is needed, but thats just the way i did it and it worked so =/

i just used the inbuilt registry scan in ccleaner [url=http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner]http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner[/url=http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner]

I had this the other week with my 7950 vapor x aswell. I don't know if you have this option, but i took the card out, switched the bios to use the onboard graphics from the cpu by default, plugged the card back in, with the monitor running off the onboard still. Once i was in i uninstalled all amd software/drivers, ran a registry scan and fix. Rebooted. then re installed the amd drivers (still using my onboard graphics) then rebooted into bios to change the graphics to use PCIe as default. then plugged the monitor into the gpu, and it went fine.

So if you've got an Ivy bridge chip you should be able to do this looking at your MOBO. Can't remember with these new ones if its the mobo or cpu that does the onboard but i think its the cpu. I was on a z77 board with a 3570k. Hope this helps.

You don't even need onboard graphics to do this.

I have the same Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X card, and i have had two moitors conected to it, and i have never experienced your problem. I have used it running it with two ASUS boards, one 890FX chipset and one with 990FX chipset, with a FX-8150 cpu.... maybe something whit the z77 chipset, or MSI board??? maybe, im just speculateing.

Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.9GHz |--| Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 |--| 16GB Crucial BalisitX Elite @ 1600MHz |--| Sapphire + Gigabyte HD 7990 in Quad CrossfireX @ 1,100MHz |--| Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD |--|  2x Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB HDDs in Raid0 |--| CoolerMaster V1200 Platinum |--| Corsair Obsidian 750D

"There is no heaven or afterlife for broken-down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." - Stephen Hawking