1070 Ti vs 1080

TheKingGrizzly

Hey! I have got two GPU's right now, but i am not sure wich one to use.. I tested both in heaven benchmark with clean install of windows and all drivers installed. The 1070 Ti is a ASUS ROG Strix, and the 1080 is a EVGA sc. Im gonna link some pictures so you can see the scores.

Main concernes:

- Why is the 1080 that much hotter? (is it because the cooler is smaller then the 1070 Ti?)

- If I overclock them, will the 1070 Ti be better? (Depends on the chip of course)

IMG_0003[1].JPG

IMG_0004[1].JPG

IMG_0012[1].JPG

IMG_0013[1].JPG

1080 is hotter, because the Cooler is less effective in dissipating heat.

EVGA isn't known for making the best coolers out there.

While the 1070 ti strix is a pretty damn good Cooler.

No, if you OC both to the exact same Clock speed, 1080 will still be faster. It has more Cuda Cores, and faster Memory. It is the better Chip, period. It will ALWAYS be the faster Chip - if you OC them both for the same amount~

1070 ti OC vs. 1080 non OC is not a good comparison.

Some points to consider:

- Ignore the data in the corner from heaven or Valley. It doesn't show the correct clock speeds often. Take MSI Afterburner, and use that for comparison.

Just from that, the 1080 is also 100 mhz higher clocked. But if that's true.. who knows.

- Why are you using such an pissold Benchmark like Heaven? I always facepalm myself, when those "pro tech youtuber" bench modern GPUs, and use Heaven^^

Even the successor Valley 1.0 is already old and was replaced: Superposition.

Or use Firestrike, can still tax modern GPUs quite well.

- If you plan to OC, Heaven or Valley isn't the Tool you should use. I got my GPU Valley stable, but Firestrike didn't even load without crashing imediately in the Loading screen. And some Games did also crash.

Firestrike is quite sensitive to Voltage/Clock speed instability. if you get your Card Firestrike-stable, it will be 99% stable throughout all games. Just play then, and if anything happens, finetune it afterwards. No point in testing stability for 2 weeks.

Thank you very much for the good answer :) One more thing. If the 1070 Ti is running that much cooler, cant i overclock it more before it starts throtteling? The 1080 will most likely start throtteling right away, since its at 80+ degrees without oc?

You should undervolt and overclock at the same time with MSI Afterburner, that will give you the best results perf/w wise. That's a decent guide to get you going.

Appears to be stock fan profiles. A weaker card will put out less heat. 

My 1080sc ran cooler than my 1080 strix. 

Stock fan profiles arent so great either. You are also comparing a custom board to reference, which is where the sc falls short. 

The benchmarks scores will tell you which is better. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz