Why Can't They Fix This?

Hi, i have analised some phones with the battery drain "problem" and i wish that i can show you, but i can't on this forum (the files are too large).

The result are that the battery drain is influenced by many factor's like: type of data connections (wifii or mobile network), usage behavior, charge and charge time (over night charge slowly decrease battery capacity), charge and discharge cycle, charge when the battery is not fully discharge, battery age and many more.. If you gotta need more info, dont hesitate and contact me @paulionutz on Instagram 

I used to build roms and saw this behavior on occasion by people using those roms.

First thing I always look at is the widgets. You may have setup the phones with the same apps, but did you setup the widgets the same way? Specifically news, weather and social media widgets. Worse, do any of them geolocate and/or have ads? These will absolutely murder your battery, and no, it will not show up in battery stats. Why they don't show up I have no idea, but I've used multiple battery monitors and such, it rarely registers, but as soon as you start killing those apps or denying them access while idle the battery stops draining. Just because you installed them doesn't mean they triggered, they need to be setup and launched at least once. Another thing to check is to reset the battery stats, if they get messed up, it can make the battery think it's empty even when it has a lot more battery remaining, this is more common for people swapping roms, but it can happen to a stock phone as well. Lastly, as mentioned, the cell signal (not wifi). When your phone is an area with no signal, it will turn on all radios and bands trying to locate a signal, any signal. This will also drain your battery like a vampire and is very often why the phone gets hot while idle.

Tips.
Beware what you install, particularly widgets. On weather apps, choose ones that let you set a static location rather than pinging the gps. Get rid of social media, particularly the  widgets, do you really need to know the instant your aunt uploaded a new recipe? Buy them, firewall them or use an adblock, or better yet, use all three. Watch who is making your apps. Run a light weight launcher, the more slick features it has, the worse it's likely going to be, that goes double for the stock launcher on a Samsung. Disable radios you are not using or can't use, many GSM phones have a cdma option and it will try that radio if you lose signal even in a country that doesn't use CDMA.

A word about battery monitors... You're trying to find what is running and draining the battery by installing yet another another app that constantly runs and checks what is running and monitors battery. Some will even block apps which needs even more power and since you probably only want it for a short term, it's probably free, which means it's going to downloads ads in background to cache them and pull gps info.  You may be your own worst enemy here as these also (surprise) can drain your battery, particularly ones that spy on you. Most of the time I can figure out what is draining better than these apps by simply doing what I posted above. If you do want to do this, do it them get rid of the app, I don't believe in using a battery monitor long term, it's just silly. If an app is causing problems, get rid of it, don't install another app to control it.

Biggest tip of all...
Root (and/or rom) your phone, all those default installed apps are terrible, even default ones you like. Most probably updated as soon as you turned on the phone, but since it's preinstalled that means it was not replaced the phone simply put a newer copy in the data partition. Is the old one hurting anything? Besides soaking up space, causing longer boots (due to how Android caches) and posing a threat risk, it's dragging down your phone. You can strip out a stock rom and people will be amazed at how fast and efficient it runs and all you did was debloat it and reinstalled the same apps they used before. You can tell me till you are blue in the face that these updated default apps do nothing, and you can disable them all you want, it's still not the same as removing them or never having them installed in the first place. People like to think roms make the phone faster because of tweaks by the developer but the truth is almost all of that speed is simply because it lacks bloat, I've done it, I've tested it. Think about a preinstalled Windows verses a fresh install, anyone who has done it has seen the difference, even compared to how it runs after uninstalling things, it's just not the same. "Root is a security threat", maybe, but my rooted older phone has a newer Android version than your newer phone and I have tools at my disposal to deal with it so I'd argue its a wash at worst and if I was worried I could always unroot my rom (yes, it's a thing). If a non rooted phone gets owned, you're buying a new phone, or rooting it to fix it anyway.

Edit: Forgot one other thing... Google services. Every now and then they will issue an update and it clashes with existing data, the fix is dump the data or uninstall the reinstall that.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but it may be worth connecting them to the same wifi network and doing some traffic analysis with Wireshark. Could tie into possible malware infections and such.

Install a new battery to your phone and check if it behaves as the other ones.

Maybe a previous version of the OS damaged the battery, with heavy usage, and a new OS version, even if it doesn't use the battery as much, it won't save you, since yours is already damaged. 

Hi LTT,  i hace registred only to post a screenshot.

I have a Samsung Galaxy s7 for 2 years.  Since the 6th month, i knew there was a problem with the battery. And now i have to charge It 3 times a day and i cant forget a powerbank. Its so extreme, than sometimes its turn off with no reason with a 40% battery . Screenshot_20180909-004919_Gallery.thumb.jpg.89357a541a3366bae5544947c0ce2fcf.jpg

Many people do not consider the battery. I fly high powered RC helicopters and planes with similar lipo batteries to the technology used in cell phones. Once in a while, a cell (battery) will go bad. One test you could do is to remove the battery from your phone and another identical phone, and do a discharge test to measure how many milliamps are consumed before the two batteries reach discharge voltage of 3.7 volts. Be sure to charge both batteries to full charge at 4.2 volts first. Now, this is very impractical for most phones with sealed batteries, but my point is that your battery could have high resistance (an indicator that it is defective or going bad) which would result in reduced capacity. It would also explain why your phone always feels warm because lipo batteries with higher than normal resistance will heat up more during use. You could also just try having your battery replaced by a service center and see if that solves your problem.

6 minutes ago, Heli_dude said:

Many people do not consider the battery. I fly high powered RC helicopters and planes with similar lipo batteries to the technology used in cell phones. Once in a while, a cell (battery) will go bad. One test you could do is to remove the battery from your phone and another identical phone, and do a discharge test to measure how many milliamps are consumed before the two batteries reach discharge voltage of 3.7 volts. Be sure to charge both batteries to full charge at 4.2 volts first. Now, this is very impractical for most phones with sealed batteries, but my point is that your battery could have high resistance (an indicator that it is defective or going bad) which would result in reduced capacity. It would also explain why your phone always feels warm because lipo batteries with higher than normal resistance will heat up more during use. You could also just try having your battery replaced by a service center and see if that solves your problem.

Same here but with cars, but this has already been suggested and can also be done with aplications. 

So no need to remove the battery. But thanks for the input.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

I have experienced issues like this and the only reliable solution I have found is to just use a different ROM with root access.

Poor standby time is an issue that grows over time where some apps fail to update cleanly or through bugs or the dev being a jerk and lazy and blindly testing different methods of ad integration.

For example, if you want to try, while your battery life is poor, install gsam battery monitor https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm

and run the ADB command to give it the needed permission.

Then look at the CPU load, wake events and activity levels while the device is idle. Now do a factory reset on the device, and do not restore a google backup (the google backup is not smart in how it collects data, instead it dumps a blob of data (corruption and all), and restores it, thus restoring any issues you may have had that caused you to factory reset in the first place.

With gsam running on a fresh factory reset with your apps manually installed and set up just like before, compare the standby time again, and you will see that battery drain is a tiny traction of what it was before, with the same apps installed. You will also notice lower background CPU usage, and significantly fewer wake events, and lower RAM usage.

With root access, I can usually fix those issues by simply using a program like 3c toolbox and disabling all startup items that were added by 3rd party applications, and then the device is back to a day one battery drain levels.

The issue is caused by 3rd party apps and it gets more common since so many developers choose to make some portion of their app run in the background at startup, mainly for the purpose so that they can send you a push notification or some kind of ad, sometimes it is even done so that if in the future they want to send some kind of notification, they can.

CxEDvmJ.jpgYrni83k.jpg

With so many applications wanting to run in the background, and each wanting to periodically check for any push notifications, or do other crap, you eventually end up with your device waking up constantly, and never getting to properly idle.

Furthermore, some apps will simply not update properly or get some kind of bug where the app will cause your device to wake up like 50 times more often than it should because it is repeatedly trying to do something that is failing, but since the failure happens so quickly, it uses very few CPU cycles, but if the activity the app tried to do relies on a library or aspect of android system or kernel, then it can cause a core process or component t do a lot of work while the app that started the chain of events failed after a few CPU cycles. This causes android so show the offending app at effectively using 0% battery while showing the kernel or system as using a lot of power.

Google could easily fix this issue by adding better insight to wake events. If you can show a wake event in the battery usage gauge, then let me zoom in on one and click on it for details of the chain of events.

If such logging will cause issues, then add a power diagnostic mode that I can enable when I have battery issues, and let me view the additional details and track down the true offender. Instead we get very little detail where trial and error is done to track the bad app down.

Furthermore the issues can be random, for example, you can track the issue down to your visual voicemail app, and disable that and another time, it can be a shopping app or podcast app.

An overall fix would be to get google to disable startup items by default and require that a popup message be displayed and that the user accept a warning whenever an app wants to add anything to the system startup.

The dialog can then have an advanced menu where a user can specify limits to wake events, e.g., 1 wake event max per hour.

3 hours ago, volca said:

It mostly clause by alarms instead of wakelocks, from my experiences.

Magical Pineapples

This might be so basic, but where are you charging your phone? Same place every day?

Ill had the same Problem and ill found it, it is the google account, deactivate the automatic google sync service and you´re s9 + will run like new its an problem who is there since S6, an tip what sucks even more, an wake lock app who tracks the powerconsumption will NOT log this Event so you never find it when you didnt have root rights, or know where to look. (Took me 2 Years to identify  this problem, however ill couldnt fix it! besides to deactivate the automatic google account sync.Its not an Third Party APP since the S6 it is the Google Account, even an Phone reset didnt helped for me.)

sry for my bad english.

4 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

HERESY

Do you see where I'm from? ;-)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I had the same problem on my Galaxy S8. Between my own digging around and help on Xda forums, I was able to somewhat narrow the drain down to the firmware on the phone. It seems that the problem is partly caused by a poor modem file on Samsung's oreo versions, including the latest version. By flashing the original Nougat modem firmware file that shipped with my device via Odin, idle battery drain dropped from over 6%/hour overnight to roughly 3%/hour. Even though this is half the drain I initially experienced, it is still abnormally high. Even when I resetted the device and not even set it up, I was losing roughly 1%/hr. This is with no sim and no wifi on the phone either. I got rid the phone a couple days later. I previously had an S7 edge and note 5, both with custom roms and kernels, and neither of which are experiencing this problem which also suggests there is a software and not hardware issue at play here. Hopefully Samsung resolves this issue, else they're going to lose some customers. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

Oooh boy, I've had very similar problems with standby on my HTC 10. I know it's not exactly what you're looking for because it's not Samsung, but the experience was so similar I wanted to comment.

Considering it's a 2 year old phone I get decent battery life during heavy use, but the idle use is terrible. If I didn't touch my phone for several hours it would still lose a significant amount of battery life, when others around me barely lose any battery %. I got to a point where I actually emailed HTC about it and there were some emails back and forth (that went nowhere). The best evidence I have is that the phone actually says that "Mobile network standby" is taking an insane amount of battery. This isn't a once off as I've seen this situation all the time.

Screenshot_20180130-232034_battuse.thumb.png.4844a5e2b712d62037f5698a8bddaae1.png

Hello.

First time writing here, but I wanted to give my input.

I am not an expert in battery issues on Android, but I always check the status of the battery through the /sys directory.

You will find all battery related information accessible under /sys/class/power_supply/battery. This is the folder that all apps use to either read or set battery related issues or settings.

Both the structure and file names have been changing over the last versions of Android, so I can only tell you what I am able to see on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. You might find it easier to use an app to do this for you, but I always do it manually and can't therefore recommend any.

I recommend checking out /sys/class/power_supply/battery/fg_fullcapnom with a text editor. I just use Solid Explorer and it's text editor. This file should show you how many mA are left of your battery. Personally I would fully charge both S9 phones and compare those numbers to see if there is a difference. If your phone is often warm, then that tends to degrade your battery, so this would be a good place to compare. When the phone shows 100%, it will show that as relative to the current maximum capacity instead of the original maximum capacity.

Of course, you did note in the video that you did not see this happening while you were using it, but I think sharing the comparison of the capacity numbers would aid with the discussion here, especially because most people here are recommending replacing the battery or swapping it between phones.

Best wishes

Frey Alfredsson

I had a similar problem with my note 8 since i bought it. It sucks almost 10-17% of battery overnight with the AOD turned off from 11-6am, connected to wifi & data is turned on with full bars of my network. I m in canada with freedom provider. At first i thought it was the handset issue so i changed it with the new 1 but it was not. I tried reaching samsung & was told to do a factory reset, clear cache & also tried safe mode but nothing worked. I was frustrated with this issue as i dont use my cell phone regularly & it should easily take me through the day. Later i tried ultra power saving mode & 'vallah', it worked. I left my cell at 6% at night & it was exactly the same by morning. But no one wana switch back & forth on it's power saving modes. Samsung should really need to work on improving the battery life for its customers

4 hours ago, LEXXIUS said:

How often do you need to charge it? Also, I'm already invested in the Android ecosystem, so no Apple products for me...

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

No thats fine I'm just saying its been great for me. I charge it every night and it lasts all day. Keep in mind its a series 0, so 2015 model. Coming to the end of its support so eyeing up the new watches. 

And this is why the state of Smart"Watches" aren't ready to replace a regular watch, or something less smart, such as a basic FitBit Alta or Pebble watch. Battery life needs to last at least 1 week, if not one month, for me to consider the word "watch" being worthy of being in the product name, full stop.

I'm not telling you (or anyone else) NOT to buy or enjoy an Apple "Watch", but it's kind of disappointing that society has come to accept Smart"Watches" that can't last through a full day of proper usage as advertised in their marketing, and even more saddening to think that a device that costs 6 times as much as a cheap watch, or around the same as a knockoff Rolex, is expected to be thrownaway in less than 3 years.

Don't get me wrong - I'm still very much excited to see where we're at once Smart"Watches" evolve, but I'd wager we're still another 5 years away from having a proper watch replacement come to market, complete with acceptable battery life, and the ability to seamlessly share the same cellular plan as your phone without requiring a second sim card and phone plan, or relying on the poor state of Bluetooth for connectivity.

2 hours ago, Lasse Bo Jensen said:

Hi Linus Tech Tips. -- Samsung Authorized Technician is writing.

Just to make it all clear, have you ever experienced this with a clean phone. There can be many reasons for this. But to eventually find the problem if it's something app related. Start with a totally factory resettet phone, and then download one app, test again, then the next app test again.. Is a long process but it can be one app there is bugging out and draining the battery.

Sorry, but the user should not have to factory wipe their device to troubleshoot something that should already have a monitoring system baked into the OS from the manufacturer. Of course users need to be careful about what apps they install, ensuring that nothing is deliberately running down the battery or doing malicious things on their devices, but the responsibility is on the manufacturer to provide a way to monitor and mitigate issues such as excessive battery drain or heat caused by heavier than necessary CPU or GPU usage, much the same as how the ECU in your car does this when it comes to fuel emissions and engine control. (unless you're VW, then you get a hall pass ;))

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Alright for me I have an s7 and it dies fast with minimal to no usage. I could pull it off the charger around noon and it will be dead around 5 with maybe browsing Reddit for a few minutes and send a few snaps. (I don't use it at work so it just sits in my pocket for 5 hours) I'm on my second battery with my phone the first started to inflate but even with the new battery, the life is so short that I'm forced to carry a portable charger with me wherever I go. I've tried tricks to fix the life and putting apps to sleep but nothing workes even putting the phone in power save mode right off the charger will give my phone an extra hour of life at best. I'm looking forward to seeing the part 2 of this video. I would like to get an s9 or suffer until the s10 but seeing that people are having the same troubles as me with the s9 that scares me a bit.     

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

And this is why the state of Smart"Watches" aren't ready to replace a regular watch, or something less smart, such as a basic FitBit Alta or Pebble watch. Battery life needs to last at least 1 week, if not one month, for me to consider the word "watch" being worthy of being in the product name, full stop.

I'm not telling you (or anyone else) NOT to buy or enjoy an Apple "Watch", but it's kind of disappointing that society has come to accept Smart"Watches" that can't last through a full day of proper usage as advertised in their marketing, and even more saddening to think that a device that costs 6 times as much as a cheap watch, or around the same as a knockoff Rolex, is expected to be thrownaway in less than 3 years.

Don't get me wrong - I'm still very much excited to see where we're at once Smart"Watches" evolve, but I'd wager we're still another 5 years away from having a proper watch replacement come to market, complete with acceptable battery life, and the ability to seamlessly share the same cellular plan as your phone without requiring a second sim card and phone plan, or relying on the poor state of Bluetooth for connectivity.

I'm only considering the new watch when it comes out. It still functions great and performs well. As for battery life I charge up my devices when I go to sleep so it's not really an issue. 

My experience,

I have bought my normal galaxy s6 G-920F back in 2015 when it just came out and im stil using till this day. im a very heavy user of it but i cant afford to upgrade my phone every year or 2, ive rooted it installed custom roms did a lot of stuff and also upgraded to android 7 and its all the same. when i use the phone it drains slower then if its idle in my pocket.

i could watch youtube at full brightness and full volume for 6 hours before it dies but it will lose the same amount of battery if it just sits there on my table. for me i just always carry a portable battery bank. but the fact the it drains faster when its idle on my desk then if im activly using it is weird. it has always been like that. (note i had never replaced my battery in those almost 4 years, just one speaker replacement) but it just got worse but it was noticible from the start if any of the linus team would like me to do some spesific testing i would be glad to.

I've had this exact problem crop up a few times on a Samsung S6 Active. I came to find that the battery usage is inaccurate for applications. This might be due to battery usage for system calls from an app not counting towards that app. The issue happened with different apps, specifically Outlook, Concur, and Facebook. Meaning, it seems to not be a specific app causing the issue. I thought it might have something to do with the app update process.

Whatever the actual cause, I found that uninstalling the app(s) with the highest battery usage after a long idle period would resolve the problem (only ~1% usage shown for that app despite 50% battery drained). Also, after wiping all data for the app, it would be safe to reinstall.

That said, I'd recommend letting your phone idle for a while after a full charge, then checking your battery usage before it dies. Whatever app(s) have the highest usage you'd then uninstall and clear data/cache on. You should notice the phone temperature return to normal shortly if you're experiencing the same issue as myself.

18 hours ago, GabenJr said:

We take some of the most common apps of 2018 and load them on to a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and a Google Pixel 2 XL to see why my Samsung phone always seems to overheat and run out of battery.

Buy a Samsung Galaxy S9+:

On Amazon: http://geni.us/KjgSwE

On Newegg: http://geni.us/L0J4

Buy a Pixel 2 XL:

On Amazon: http://geni.us/dheebA

On Newegg: http://geni.us/6ZEB

I have had overheating issues and battery drain problems from day one and auto restarts for no reason and I dont use my phone a lot during the day maybe a grand total of 2hrs total. I hate my phone it is soooooo slow and lagging the screen is not durable in a case and to repair the screen costs more than just getting a new phone. I need a phone that lasts with battery, is resistant to water, screen is durable, and the features and specs are equal to or greater than our Japanese phone competitors. http://www.kyoex.com  let me know what phone has what I am looking for. And you should do a foreign phone review. I would be interested in that 

I'm wondering if Linus restores all of his data from Google or Samsung. You be surprised at some of the things that get brought over to the phone this way. I used to be a contractor for Samsung and troubleshooting & trending issues were my fields. We fixed a lot of battery issues by clearing cache partition, wiping data through recovery and not signing into any accounts until the phone was on the home screen. Lots of settings get brought from one phone to the next even developer options.

Try AccuBattery and see the battery health have an issue if there a defective battery in the S9. Also, see your CPU problem since it been heating up with a CPU Monitor. 

18 hours ago, GabenJr said:

We take some of the most common apps of 2018 and load them on to a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and a Google Pixel 2 XL to see why my Samsung phone always seems to overheat and run out of battery.

Buy a Samsung Galaxy S9+:

On Amazon: http://geni.us/KjgSwE

On Newegg: http://geni.us/L0J4

Buy a Pixel 2 XL:

On Amazon: http://geni.us/dheebA

On Newegg: http://geni.us/6ZEB

If you're using Chat Heads with Facebook Messenger, disable it and kill the overlay permission.  Even if you've disabled Chat Heads kill the overlay.

I've had issues with it with my last two phones.  Note 3 and LGv20.  Disabling it fixes things.