Why Can't They Fix This?

I almost forgot also how did you use the battery. Cus if you drain it everyday till 0% it wont last long and you fucked the battery.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 minutes ago, LEXXIUS said:

That's why I don't like smartwatches. Also their battery life and limited usefulness...

Probably could be Linus's problem with the management for the smart watch. 

I've had great experiences from my Apple Watch, excellent for fitness, you can set your runs, cycling etc and the apps and battery life are great. 

1 minute ago, Justeego said:

I had a similar problem with my Motorola G 2015, the problem was that on geolocalization settings menù if you open the Research option (I don't know if it's this name because I don't use English) there is an option that says that it enhances the localization by searching Wi-fi ANY MOMENT, and bluetooth too, the problem is that google maps still asks me to enable it every time I open it (you can just say no and it works), I use High precision mode

Thanks for reminding me, I just turned it off on my S9+.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

I've had great experiences from my Apple Watch, excellent for fitness, you can set your runs, cycling etc and the apps and battery life are great. 

How often do you need to charge it? Also, I'm already invested in the Android ecosystem, so no Apple products for me...

Just now, LEXXIUS said:

How often do you need to charge it? Also, I'm already invested in the Android ecosystem, so no Apple products for me...

No thats fine I'm just saying its been great for me. I charge it every night and it lasts all day. Keep in mind its a series 0, so 2015 model. Coming to the end of its support so eyeing up the new watches. 

My s8 just started having the exact same issue out of nowhere. My battery life was lasting all day when all I used it for was occasional music and I always had ~60% battery left. Out of nowhere, (as in 1 day's time), my phone started consistently ending the day with 15% if I was lucky. 

(Just for consistency, I didn't have any new apps, updates, or etc.)

When I bought my S9+ it had awesome battery life, like it could last a day or two. Week later the phone was almost fully dead by halfway through the day. Now? I have to keep it charging while in my car because if I don't it'll die on me halfway between going home from a job site. Usually having GPS on and streaming music because I don't want to listen to the radio. 

Swap the battery from the 'Linus' phone to the new phone. If the new phone (with Linus battery) dies first then it confirms faulty battery. If the battery is not faulty then investigate the software... IE Malware

Doing a battery swap on a Samsung is not impossible and does not appear to take long ... can be easily looked up n youtube/google (i will not link as that would be rude). 
Great excuse to show off the "ifixit tool kit" if you can get them to sponsor the video too xD

Okay there is a lot to look into this 

In fact my issue is Linus and I feel his and mine use case is very similar

And it was with every phone I have friends with same phones get double the battery life 

All battery checkers are useless tried gsam  and better battery stats with and without root 

One key factor I found draining is always on display almost 20% overnight easily with that without barely 5% 

And check wake locks it should help a lot 

Hope this helps 

Phones I have used 

S6 edge plus 

One plus 5t

S9+

Note 9

One plus 6

Back to s9+ as I don't need stylus 

2 minutes ago, LEXXIUS said:

5 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

The best wearable for fitness is by far the Garmin Descent or Fenix. Battery life typically can go 3-10 days depending on use. The descent is a diving computer which is waterproof to 100 meters.

I actually had the same problem with my unrooted S3 a few years ago. I bought new batteries, tested different charging cables, uninstall apps, used energy saving mode a lot but nothing stopped the battery drain. In fact it has gotten so bad that I couldn't run the phone for like 12 hours (mostly idle). The absolute highlight was that after charging the phone for 20 hours it got like 20% charge.

I looked it up on the internet but did not encounter many people with similiar problem.

Long story short, it turned out that the firmware was the problem. I reset the phone to the defaults and installed a firmware version prior to the one I was using before. It fixed all my problems and the phone started working flawlessly.

21 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

We take some of the most common apps of 2018 and load them on to a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and a Google Pixel 2 XL to see why my Samsung phone always seems to overheat and run out of battery.

Hey, I was a repair tech for a Samsung authorized repair center in Montreal for a few years until I started my own IT managed service provider directed towards SMBs in the area, and although I totally get the frustration, I doubt you'll get any further in your case by using Samsung channels since the only useful information would be either by pulling a Logcat (root) or having somebody take the pulse of the phone every few minutes.

I've had all the flagship Galaxy S and Note since the S2 as I upgrade every 6 months so Ive had time to play around with a lot of different setups on a lot of recent devices and it gave me a good understand of how to think methodically to determine what  is the most relevant information to troubleshoot this type of problem because it simply isnt available in the stats or the android battery usage monitor.

Is it possible to get Linus to provide more information about his setup. Specifically since he talks about a years long issue, what he thinks is the common theme in his setup that has stayed more or less stable in his usage habits/apps installed. And also if he can concentrate on the business related aspects of his phone. See below

List of installed apps, security features used (secure folder, phone encryption, smart lock, samsung cloud, etc), any IFTTT recipes, any devices that connect to the phone automatically such as car Bluetooth, laptops and other paired devices that might connect to his phone with or without his knowledge.

Most importantly: what business related apps are used, Office365 ecosystem, accounting software? And what google services are setup to run at a constant pace, such as google assistant with location history, what location accuracy method is set (High, battery saving, phone only).

This is my first post here, so pardon me for any mistakes.

I have an S9 (Not plus) with the Exynos SoC. I can easily get around 1 day 10 hours of battery life on it, with around 3-4 hours of SOT. I use it with LTE mobile data always on, use it as a mobile hotspot for around an hour or so each day, along with about 2-3 of hours of internet browsing (social media and stuff), music streaming, and also about an hour or so of gaming on it. Now, I've been getting this battery life since the July security update, before that it hardly went past 24 hours.

So a list of suggestions for Linus, as you are getting the same experience even from the Note 9, and not only the S9+:

• Ensure that you are on the latest security update on the phones, especially the S9+.
  • If the S9 is on the latest update, try a factory reset (if you can) on the S9+.
  • Turn off AOD, if you don't actually require it. It takes up around 1-2% of battery every hour on the SD845, and even more on the Exynos 9810.
  • If you use Snapchat :P, uninstall it. It is an unoptimised piece of crap on Android.
  • Try using the mid power consumption mode in the battery optimiser settings, with CPU limiter off (CPU limiter doesn't actually save much battery, just a few minutes).
  • Clear your RAM, and put the apps to sleep in the Battery Optimiser menu (both are easily accessible via the Device Management Edge Panel) at regular intervals of time
  • Try a battery monitor app (sorry, but I have no clue about what apps to use) that can help you identify if there is some app/package that has been causing the drain.

If all of this fails, it is a high probability that your piece has some hardware defect/fault in it, causing it to overheat in your pocket, and drain your battery.

Also, it might be a possibility that your normal usage is extraordinary, as you said that this has been a persistent problem with you since a few years. In that case, I suggest that you divide workloads between 2 phones (seeing as you almost always carry 2 phones), so that the load is evenly distributed.

And as customary with anything you handle, Linus: Did you drop it? If you did, then there might be the cause of your problem. :PO.o

I apologise if all of this seems harsh to you. Will be posting the same on the youtube comments section.

My phone has a bug that might be similar to yours.

I have a Xiaomi Redmi 3S, and sometimes, after using a fast charger (in my case, a Qualcomm quickcharge 3 charger), the battery drains extremely fast.

Why? The msm_otg wakelock. The phone believes it's connected to an otg device (even after being disconnected from the charger) and therefore never goes to deep sleep!

A google search shows me a galaxy S3 user had a similar problem, maybe you can find it yourself? (I use wakelock detector free, the msm_otg is visible in the kernel wakelocks section)

PS: A simple way to prevent this is connecting the phone to a computer (without fast charge support) and enabling data transfer on the device, disconnect it and the service goes away, a reboot might also work.

I left you a comment on how to diagnose the problem, but since I'm curious to see a second part on this video I'm posting the same comment here as well:

------------

Simple battery profile should tell you wtf is going on. To do that you need to do some stuff: First enable developer options on your phone(go to Settings, About Device, Software info and tap on the Build number enough times to enable the dev options). In dev Options make sure to enable USB debuggin on the device you wish analyzed after that all you need to do is read a tutorial on how to use Battery Historian and run that bitch on your phone (you will need a PC with installed Android Studio and Docker all is free and open source so no money there). In short to run battery historian you need to run a few commands. First from android studio "$ adb bugreport bugreport.zip" to get a  report from your device, then in command window(you will need python installed as well) on a windows machine( i know you like windows so i searched this thing out for you) "docker run -p 5001:9999 gcr.io/android-battery-historian/stable:3.0 --port 9999". Finally load the resulting HTML file in any browser of your choice. It'll give you detailed information on everything that has consumed power on your device. Run it on the reference phone as well as the problem phone and compare. Good luck and keep us posted!

PS: I'm sure I missed a step or 5 and probably fudged a command or made some other mistake trying to explain this, but with a little research this can be done by anyone and it doesn't require rooting devices. Also it WILL tell you what is different about battery consumption on each device as the Battery Historian Tool is VERY well made and decently documented!

------------

Here's a few links on how to use the tool:

https://developer.android.com/topic/performance/power/battery-historian

https://medium.com/@crafttang/how-to-use-android-battery-historian-b2ce20f6e7fc

Hope it helps.

2 minutes ago, polish_pat said:

List of installed apps, security features used (secure folder, phone encryption, smart lock, samsung cloud, etc), any IFTTT recipes, any devices that connect to the phone automatically such as car Bluetooth, laptops and other paired devices that might connect to his phone with or without his knowledge.

Most importantly: what business related apps are used, Office365 ecosystem, accounting software? And what google services are setup to run at a constant pace, such as google assistant with location history, what location accuracy method is set (High, battery saving, phone only).

At the end of the day the bottom line is the platform is junk. A 4000 mah battery shouldnt die that fast. Its just shit software design.

So my the battery life on my A5 2017 has been rather poop for the past week. Think I found the culprit, my horrible Android App group project from 2 years ago. 

Screenshot_20180908-125613_Device maintenance.jpg

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

I almost forgot also how did you use the battery. Cus if you drain it everyday till 0% it wont last long and you fucked the battery.

When the S8 was officially announced, Samsung said, the battery will retain 95% of its capacity after 2 years. Looking at actual user experiences (reddit) it seems mixed, like 60% (my rough estimation) reported their battery is still as good as when they got the phone. I believe this is achieved by only charging the battery only to 80% (sweetspot for usabe charge and degradation), there are research findings that say using the battery in the range of 20% to 80% prolongs its life drastically.

This could also be a hint for that statement being true: When rooting any of the latest S8 & S9 phones and using custom roms, a lot of people report their batteries only charging to 80%. This could mean the software displays the full capacity but the hardware still limits it.

6 minutes ago, transformdbz said:

Turn off AOD, if you don't actually require it. It takes up around 1-2% of battery every hour on the SD845, and even more on the Exynos 9810

It turns off, if the phone is in the pocket or face down, does it still use battery then? it shouldn't...

I'll second the advice to try Better Battery Stats https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.asksven.betterbatterystats&hl=en
No root is needed, you need to enter a few commands with adb to get the full data. It's all explained on the playstore page.

I have found and killed rogue processes in the past with it, specifically things like NlpWakeLock, NlpCollectorWakeLock and the *backup* wakelock bugs. I suspect it's something similar, perhaps some Samsung process instead of google process since it's on a samsung phone.

How to read the BBS results:

1. Install it, run the adb commands from the playstore page, charge the phone, use it lightly for a day.

2. Look at the "deep sleep", "awake screen off" and "screen on" stats. There should be a lot of deep sleep, some screen on and very little awake time. If there is a lot of awake time, then there is a process that keep the phone form going to sleep. Check "partial wakelocks" and "processes" to see what is going on exactly andthen find a way to kill the offender and not let it start any more.

1 minute ago, LEXXIUS said:

It turns off, if the phone is in the pocket or face down, does it still use battery then? it shouldn't...

Apparently it does use some battery even if the phone is kept in pocket or face down. Well atleast it does on the Exynos one.

6 minutes ago, LEXXIUS said:

When the S8 was officially announced, Samsung said, the battery will retain 95% of its capacity after 2 years. Looking at actual user experiences (reddit) it seems mixed, like 60% (my rough estimation) reported their battery is still as good as when they got the phone. I believe this is achieved by only charging the battery only to 80% (sweetspot for usabe charge and degradation), there are research findings that say using the battery in the range of 20% to 80% prolongs its life drastically.

This could also be a hint for that statement being true: When rooting any of the latest S8 & S9 phones and using custom roms, a lot of people report their batteries only charging to 80%. This could mean the software displays the full capacity but the hardware still limits it.

Um lab tests don't account for the fact that a lot of times ppl  use and charge as well and phones also become hot something I seriously doubt happens which also degrades battery

1 minute ago, Alpha-Toxic said:

I'll second the advice to try Better Battery Stats https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.asksven.betterbatterystats&hl=en
No root is needed, you need to enter a few commands with adb to get the full data. It's all explained on the playstore page.

I have found and killed rogue processes in the past with it, specifically things like NlpWakeLock, NlpCollectorWakeLock and the *backup* wakelock bugs. I suspect it's something similar, perhaps some Samsung process instead of google process since it's on a samsung phone.

On the Samsung processes: When I set up my S9+, I set up my regular Google account and my Samsung account (from 2011 because of the S3), which basically is syncing roughly the same things that Google already does but to Samsung servers. I think this is detrimental to my battery life, what do you think?

If you using an app that prevents you from using the phone while driving they can prevent idle power saving cause they keep probing the geo-location feature

Different micro sd card, maybe those massively dense ones use more power?

You could list every application you have installed in the original post