Why Can't They Fix This?

Not related to Samsung, I’m on iPhone but I have similar issues with battery. I can drain my phone in 2 hours if I push it. My phone gets hot when in use and even hotter when charging.

I’ve been convinced it down to my physical usage of the phone not apps. I feel like it’s my sweat and how I charge the phone that affect battery life.

2 hours ago, MrDodojo said:

Reflash everything with odin..

I shall try reflashing. But before that, Can I use another country's firmware instead?

Perhaps consider testing the battery in Linus's personal phone against a fresh one, to rule out if some aspect of his usage is deteriorating the battery.

Hey Linus, I too had this problem mostly with my note 8 but also with my girlfriends S8 back after the nougat update, killed my battery so fast, that I spent 2 days hunting down the problem and to my knowledge fixed it completely to where I went from 2-3hr of SOT to 5-6. I made a post about it on Reddit many months back and really hope it also fixes your issues too.

Put both in Wifi only mode and run Wireshark to see if one S9 is more talkative than the other. I bet if you turn Wifi and mobile data off the battery life is going to be the same on both phones.

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

Developer here, before using anything to detect your wakelocks, could you list all your apps linus? Also doesnt samsung have a "keep this application active when screen is off" option? Not to mention the battery monitor isn't that effective, while testing one of my live wallpapers before issuing an update, I noticed that the battery monitor reported only 1% usage, but my phone definitely lasted 1-2 hour less a day while I had it running.

6 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

My guess is background apps like facebook etc. Also if you notice apps being continuously updated disable google play auto update on wifi as well.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Android/What-is-mdnsd-and-why-is-it-killing-my-battery/td-p/5015034

I've came across that forum as well, I deleted messenger and facebook but the outcome is still the same. I've had auto update disabled since day one. I'll probably do a factory reset and see how it goes 

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Not on a Apple device 

Edward snowden claims apple is one of the worst offenders, and apple designs are tasteless. They are basically overpriced, underperforming, bug ridden crapware.

So going on this topic to provide feedback I've only used Samsung's since the S4 release, had battery issues on all of my phones, after a few good reviews I decided to upgrade to the S8+.

My daily usage has not changed alot in the past year but the first 6 months my phone had good battery life it kept for 2 - 3 days with no issues. and just one day it started tanking hard going down to 1 day and about 12 hours usage into the next day, then it got worse going down to a single day, all my apps are updated phone on latest release etc.

I then decided to factory reset the phone and reinstall all my apps etc, this did not fix my issue, i then resorted to changing my data connection from 4G to 3G, this actually helped in gaining back some spunk on my phone and went back to 2 days. 

This continue for about 2 months and once again my phone can't seem to stay on 2 days it went down to 1 day again, after googling etc could not find any reason for the issue... I then got a notification to do a software upgrade to Android 8.0.0 this fixed a lot of issues with battery performance and general phone response times.

now since then my battery life keeps dropping I really can't find a solution for the draining. I've even tried running the phone stock only using whatsapp as an addition application and that did not change anything.

I'm really considering going away from Samsung even though I love the phone but I just can't deal with the crappy battery life.

My Rig: Intel 3770k with Corsair H100i pull, Asus Z98 pro , Corsair Vengeance 8GBx2 2100 mhz CL9, Galax HOF 1080 TI, 4 x OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig Raid 0, Corsair AX 850, Corsair Obsidian 650D

Same problem with my S8+. Phone often very hot when taking out of pocket. No sign of what is draining battery or what process is taking up CPU. Even puting every app asleep doesn't help. Some times a temporary fix is rebooting phone but after a day it goes back to being a battery hog. My Note 4 had same issue. The bright side is in the winter it's a great pocket warmer. 

Have you looked at using the apps, one think you testing did not seem to take into account was app background refresh, for example as a father I am sure you use your camera ALOT well when you close your camera app you likely lock your phone, however that app retains some information for a good bit of time after locking constantly refreshing in case you need it again, It should also be noted that a lot of these things are not tracked by the default android battery info. 

Your testing also seems to have missed a factor that people tend to forget that being heat if your phone is kept in a cold or warm spot it can drain battery sounds stupid but it is true, batteries react differently to hot and cold

I would say you have a second video here, with a more intensive testing methodology so take into account uncontrollable variables such as weather, attempt to mimic use drain, boot and app, don't close it lock screen, this testing will take a bit long but I am sure you will get very interesting results

Samsung does install battery optimization software that sees and tells you when an app is draining too much battery as far as i know. This is my Phone, The Samsung J7 Sky Pro, a cheap phone with fairly recent update.

Screenshot_20180909-092812.png

Edited by JessicaFEREM
I forgot to say that this is my phone

5 hours ago, Leslieann said:

Forgot one other thing... Google services. Every now and then they will issue an update and it clashes with existing data, the fix is dump the data or uninstall the reinstall that.

I don't think you can uninstall system software on android without rooting.

Doesn’t linus use a smart Watch? It’s most likely the culprit. Android smart watches are a piece of junk and drain battery life like no tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, Bassopt said:

Doesn’t linus use a smart Watch? It’s most likely the culprit. Android smart watches are a piece of junk and drain battery life like no tomorrow. 

You could be right lol

18 hours ago, GabenJr said:

We take some of the most common apps of 2018 and load them on to a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and a Google Pixel 2 XL to see why my Samsung phone always seems to overheat and run out of battery.

Buy a Samsung Galaxy S9+:

On Amazon: http://geni.us/KjgSwE

On Newegg: http://geni.us/L0J4

Buy a Pixel 2 XL:

On Amazon: http://geni.us/dheebA

On Newegg: http://geni.us/6ZEB

Omg THANKS ALOT FOR THIS VIDEOOO 

I had my galaxy s7 for two straight years woth battery problems after 3 months i started to know the changes just for listening to spotify for 1 hr from 99% the battery went to almost 50% when i was in school even tho my phone would be in battery saving mode i would find the battery at like 60% to 69% every single day but didnt change it cuz i wanted the water resistant even tho didnt use it that much but yeah thats the biggest thing i left samsung now i have the most hated phone. IPHONE X

14 hours ago, nogrey said:

Ill had the same Problem and ill found it, it is the google account, deactivate the automatic google sync service and you´re s9 + will run like new its an problem who is there since S6, an tip what sucks even more, an wake lock app who tracks the powerconsumption will NOT log this Event so you never find it when you didnt have root rights, or know where to look. (Took me 2 Years to identify  this problem, however ill couldnt fix it! besides to deactivate the automatic google account sync.Its not an Third Party APP since the S6 it is the Google Account, even an Phone reset didnt helped for me.)

sry for my bad english.

Had to make an account finally for LTT just for this.

This guy seems to have had the same problem as me.

S7 edge user. Battery used to be fine for about a year,  easily 1 day usage. Until one day(no software updates around that time) it started ULTRA draining battery. Like to the amount linus had problems with. Easily less than 50% of previous performance. Only when in online connectivity though, airplane mode was fine. But man if you take that off you can see it dropping in plane sight.

I digged deep for this, its an unrooted phone so i went with gsam battery monitor and Systempanel2. Problem was that both were showing largest amount of battery usage% as ''Unallocated'' was getting desperate until randomly found someones comment:

You needed to delete Cache and Data from Google play services AND the dalvik cache from recovery menu. It was even REQUIRED to be done 1 before the other( sadly I dont remember which way anymore, but im guessing play services 1st, then dalvik) You can just try :D

Worked miracles. Battery life recovered to pretty much normal levels. Phones done the same thing a few times now, but this full wipe/delete play services seems to always fix it. Yes slightly inconvenient as you need to give some permissions again etc. BUT you get to keep your data and doesnt majorly impact regular phone usage.

Hope dis helps,

Peace out

-M

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

My whole Life I only had Samsung Smartphones. I owned a Galaxy S2, a S4-mini and now for more then 2 Years a S5-Neo. They always had the same Battery issue starting at about 1,5 Years in use:

After a normal workday, where the Phone is most of the time unused in standby mode (I dont even had a always on display yet), the battery would be at around 50%.(!)

The S4-mini however wasnt even able to do that after 3 Years of use. You heard right. After 8 hours of standby the phone was dead (0% battery).

In my case I think I killed the battery by always charging over night. Linus made a video on that already, that that kills your battery.

However I always had issues useing mobile data and GPS for navigation, even for brand new phones. It drains the battery so fast. And on old phones its almost 2% per minute. Im not kidding!

The chances for this are practically infinitesimal, but isn't it theoretically possible that just every single phone you got happened to have a defective battery?

Why not switch your daily driver over to that known-good new S9 you were using as a control unit and see if it makes a difference? Log any changes you make to the phone such as installing an app or changing a setting to a timeline and also record on that timeline your end-of-day battery life for each day. If it is a problem with your particular use case and not simply a laughably persistent string of bad luck with defective batteries, the potential cause should make itself known before long.

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

I have the same exact problem!

Phone sitting idle would take like 25% in 4 hours.

I've contacted Samsung support and after explaining the situation, they told me that it is not standard behaviour and I should sent the device for waranty repair.

I don't have any news yet, but I hope they will fix it. Any other S9 owner I asked has nowhere near my experience.

Mine is european version with Exynos chip, so I guess there's no difference there.

20 hours ago, GabenJr said:

We take some of the most common apps of 2018 and load them on to a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and a Google Pixel 2 XL to see why my Samsung phone always seems to overheat and run out of battery.

Buy a Samsung Galaxy S9+:

On Amazon: http://geni.us/KjgSwE

On Newegg: http://geni.us/L0J4

Buy a Pixel 2 XL:

On Amazon: http://geni.us/dheebA

On Newegg: http://geni.us/6ZEB

I started having the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S8 at the beginning of this summer when the charger that I got with the phone broke. So I bought a new one that said it was supposed to handle fast charging but when I plugged it in it said "cable charging", And when I used that cable to charge my phone the battery life seemed to drain much faster then it used to with the cable I got with the phone. Then I tried using the cable that my dad got with his Galaxy S7 with the adapter from micro USB to type C that came with my phone and it said "fast charging" and the battery life has seemed to last longer every since then. This will sound stupid and like a dick move from Samsung but it's the only explanation I have found with my very brief testing, but it could be when you use a first party Samsung charger your battery life last longer. As I said I have not tested this enough to have real evidence but it's the only explanation I can come up with. It should not be like this and I hope this is false.

PS. When it said "Slow charging" the battery life felt like it was draining even faster than when it said "cable charging".

I am pretty sure Knox is eating up your battery and it usually starts to make a problem after a few weeks or so. What solved my problem was installing an app samsung disabler that allowed me to disable some samsung apps and programmes i recommend you do so too. You will see a huge difference