Why Can't They Fix This?

1 hour ago, MrDodojo said:

Response to 

The S9+ being hot is a corrupt kernel or no/bad battery config, likely some issue because of flashing with haste(Argh Samsung)... 

reflash everything with odin.(without rooting of tripping knox)

But it only happens to his phone. I think his google account has certain sync options or something. Also, he could try using something like clean master, (yeah i know that app is annoying and uses battery) but it can tell what uses battery life.

3 minutes ago, iKingRPG said:

But it only happens to his phone. I think his google account has certain sync options or something. Also, he could try using something like clean master, (yeah i know that app is annoying and uses battery) but it can tell what uses battery life.

No,, it wouldn't get so hot then. It's a corrupt battery config or corrupt kernel. A whole reflash with odin would fix it. It's only his phone because of the small corruption chance

4 minutes ago, EragonFTW said:

I have a hardware monitoring app on my S8 that loves reporting Unaccounted battery loss in the history. Would the bad battery problem be the issue here?

Uh.. a bad config would.

18 hours ago, GabenJr said:

We take some of the most common apps of 2018 and load them on to a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and a Google Pixel 2 XL to see why my Samsung phone always seems to overheat and run out of battery.

Buy a Samsung Galaxy S9+:

On Amazon: http://geni.us/KjgSwE

On Newegg: http://geni.us/L0J4

Buy a Pixel 2 XL:

On Amazon: http://geni.us/dheebA

On Newegg: http://geni.us/6ZEB

(First time excuse any mistakes)

I had the same issue with my S8 and noticed it was only when I had it in my pocket. For some strange reason when the phone was lying flat on a table the phone had no issues but when ever it was moving it used up batter quicker and was always warm.

12 hours ago, GabenJr said:

We take some of the most common apps of 2018 and load them on to a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and a Google Pixel 2 XL to see why my Samsung phone always seems to overheat and run out of battery.

Buy a Samsung Galaxy S9+:

On Amazon: http://geni.us/KjgSwE

On Newegg: http://geni.us/L0J4

Buy a Pixel 2 XL:

On Amazon: http://geni.us/dheebA

On Newegg: http://geni.us/6ZEB

I had this issue, I solve it by doing this steps.

1.dial *#0228#

2. Quick start "it will check if there is an issue on your battery, then charge your phone, that's it.

3. done. 

@LinusTech

Forgot one other thing... Google services. Every now and then they will issue an update and it clashes with existing data, the fix is dump the data or uninstall the reinstall that.

1 hour ago, MrDodojo said:

Response to 

The S9+ being hot is a corrupt kernel or no/bad battery config/software calibration, likely some issue because of flashing with haste(Argh Samsung)... 

reflash everything with odin.(without rooting of tripping knox)

So lets say you are right. Why is this happening to every Samsung phone Linus touches while others have no problem?  As Linus are are saying in the video it all Samsung phones.

I thought I'd chime in with my experience.

I have the Galaxy Note8 for nearly a year at this point. Got it on September last year brand-new (duh) and is currently running Android Oreo 8.0 with Samsung Experience v9.0 alongside my usual apps and such. I use Nova Launcher as my default launcher and the phone was last factory reset on April of this year.

My battery has more-or-less been consistent throughout my year of use. On my usual usage pattern, I consistently go for around 15-6 hours with 4.5-5.5 hours of SOT, exceeding 6 if I keep it on Airplane Mode when I'm traveling.

AOD is disabled but I usually get quite a lot of notifications from Discord and such. However, I do not use Twitter and I also don't use the official Facebook app, relying on a third-party wrapper instead.

If I use it in a frugal manner, a second day is very well possible and if I do not disable LTE or Wi-Fi, my phone usually loses around 6-7% overnight.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, Kroon said:

So lets say you are right. Why is this happening to every Samsung phone Linus touches while others have no problem?  As Linus are are saying in the video it all Samsung phones.

Well, a certain way of routines could've caused this, my s8 had the same issue

Just now, MrDodojo said:

Well, a certain way of routines could've caused this

Well that might be, but then it's still about what Linus do or apps he uses that causes the problem/trigger the corrupt kernel.  So we are back to Linus first question.

Use ADB for God's sake and some MATH

The usual suspects are KNOX and the crappy kernel optimization... It may have something to do with the Media storage service ( just guessing ).. if you want to find out what's causing this mess just use the Catlog in android studio ( for your convenience to figure out what error is causing this crappy battery life )

Here are few general steps for debugging the system:

1. Install android studio
  2. Enable usb debugging in the developer settings
  3. Connect your phone and enable debugging over wifi using console command which i don't remember ??
  4. Open android studio and watch the catlog errors

An other method would be simply to install a stable custom ROM then setting a baseline battery life for it

Yeah and an other note you may want to use usage tracking software to make sure your usage of the baseline sample and the test device is the same

In case of inconsistent messerment use some thing of the type.of kalman filter or convolutional smoothing in order to reduce noise and make it easier to interpolate the real line of battery life

EDIT: And for the hell of it just use linear regression so you can get a straight line with an consistent algorithm the use Mean shift to create a cluster of the different slops thus it would isolate the noise if you find convolutional smoothing hard

NOTE: first image is convolutional smoothing with guassian kernel

And the second is the kalman filter in action...

Screenshot_20180909-113316~2.png

Screenshot_20180909-113502~3.png

Just now, Kroon said:

Well that might be, but then it's still about what Linus do or apps he uses that causes the problem/trigger the corrupt kernel.  So we are back to Linus first question.

No, around 1/3 Samsung  phones can get a corrupt kernel after firmware updates..

9 minutes ago, MrDodojo said:

No, around 1/3 Samsung  phones can get a corrupt kernel after firmware updates..

We have about 80 of them at work and no one have reported this problem this problem.

And if then, with 30% chance it would happen to you multiple times?  After 3 times you are down to 1% chance.  

Note I'm not saying there isn't be a firmware bug but since it happen to a single person all the time that person must do something to trigger that bug.

Edit: Some spelling

16 minutes ago, yourbiggestfanStan said:

Then it would have to be the tasteless design and spyware.

Not on a Apple device 

There's no way that having a corrupt kernel time and time again on different Samsung devices is possible.  This has to be a rogue app which for some reason only causes his Samsung devices to pin the CPU at 100%.  

I flash my S7 and my Tab S2 roughly every month (when LineageOS releases an update with the latest security patches) and have never had them run hot for no reason.  The J3 that I use for work is running stock firmware and doesn't have an issue either.

Thats true, that is something I don't know... I do know that a reset fixes it

2 minutes ago, MrDodojo said:

Thats true, that is something I don't know... I do know that a reset fixes it

If this is the issue it wont help Linus since he will trigger the bug again and again and a....  Well you get the point.  So Linus still needs to know what he do or app he uses that trigger this phone behaviour.  think it would be interesting for the community and for Samsung as well.

Just now, Kroon said:

If this is the issue it wont help Linus since he will trigger the bug again and again and a....  Well you get the point.  So Linus still needs to know what he do or app he uses that trigger this phone behaviour.  think it would be interesting for the community and for Samsung as well.

I don't think it will reappear because you flash new firmware that wasn't on the phone before(Aka some bug only on pre order phones)

Maybe someone mentioned it already but try to delete cache partition (dalvik cache) or whatever Samsung calls it in recovery. My mum had battery drain issues on her Samsung (not S it was something from J line). This helped a lot (although she got rid of that piece of junk later that year for unrelated reasons).

Just now, krysta24 said:

Maybe someone mentioned it already but try to delete cache partition (dalvik cache) or whatever Samsung calls it in recovery. My mum had battery drain issues on her Samsung (not S it was something from J line). This helped a lot (although she got rid of that piece of junk later that year for unrelated reasons).

Ok but that doesn't give a solid answer of the reason

Battery issues with my old S8 were definitely there after a couple of months. When I first got the phone, the battery life was fantastic - I remember being quite impressed with it, almost always never needing to charge it before sleeping. After a few months it had changed drastically, was getting pretty hot and seemed to lose battery life from doing next to nothing, yet while actually using it, it seemed pretty normal in terms of battery drain. 

Seems like fast battery degradation could be a culprit however it's unusual for it to be that quick. Currently using the Mi A2 Lite (4000 Mah), had it for 3 days, and haven't charged it since 10am on the morning of the 7th (Over 2 days!), and I'm still on 30%. Will be interesting if it's the same story in a few months 

The Cache Partition. Wipe it. Might seem odd, when you consider it is between different phones but here is my experience:

Last year, december, I was using a normal S7 and I started seeing an issue where Facebook Messenger notifications did not appear anywhere, but a little orange dot on the app icon on the home screen. I only got the "new message" notification when I actually opened the app. For a week I thought maybe an update did it or something else. I could not get it to work. I also tried a different phone, a Nokia 5, and that had no issues, so yeah Samsung. Reinstalled the app, tried older verisons, nothing helped.

I resulted to Messenger Lite, which worked.

At the end of 2017 I was switching jobs and the S7 was a workphone and I had to give it back. So I bought a Note 8. I thought: "hey messenger is gonna work fine now aswell, huzzaa". It did, for 8 hours. Then the messenger issue came back and absolutely nothing helped. Then one evening I wiped the cache partition and it has been working since the end of january. 

I have a feeling that Samsung has somekind of service that uploads all kinds of data to their servers, also the corrupt ones, and downloads them to other Samsung devices aswell. 

Also, just maybe try a different or even no smartwatch. Maybe something in that thing and a chip or line of code in Samsung software don't want to work together properly and the battery drains. That thing is a variable that only you use. 

I have switched from long line of Samsung phones to Nokia 7+.

Of the smartphones i had Galaxy S2 and then Note 3.

I have spent days actively trying to fix Note3. Updates, custom roms, new battery, wakelocks, battery stats, uninstaling apps, wiping dalvik, factory reset, disabling services, location services. Everything!

It started of ok. Happy with battery life, and then after 2-3 years... BS. Had it for 4 years and last year was a nightmare. Came to a point where it would drain without much use from 6 am when i take it off the charger to 3 pm when i go home from work.

That is total BS and let me tell you why.

Because it was not consistent. If I wipe cache and reset the thing, it would be fine. Have it for two and a half days. Then I charge it and then get 8 hours out of it. Then i reset and leave it off for a while and turn it on and have it for two days. Then i charge and have it for 8 hours. But doesn't help every time. I would reset and get 8 hours sometimes. 

And the phone would be hot.

So either there are viruses or what i started to suspect a hardware issue. Could not get to the bottom of it and all the people telling me just look at the wakelocks or uninstall facebook, turn off 4g... the don't have any idea. There is something wrong. Maybe the solder they use, maybe usb port, maybe some samsung bloatware. Something is very wrong.

Easy:

As an easy first solution you could try AccuBattery to find out if your phone enters deep sleep: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digibites.accubattery. My deepsleep percentage - according to AccuBattery - on S8 is about 80-90% and I have no issues with battery life.

Use wakelock detector to find the app which causes a low deepsleep percentage, if you don't just want to uninstall apps: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector.noroot

Harder - more rigorous:

You can use this tool from Google to get in depth battery data: https://developer.android.com/studio/profile/battery-historian

Overview: https://developer.android.com/topic/performance/power/battery-historian

It is used (/should be used) by Android developers and also contains a wakelock segment where you can find which apps acquire wakelocks per hour.

No root needed. Basically, you generate a log-file from within dev-options and import it.

There is also an online version where you can upload the bug report, so you don't have to build/deploy it yourself: https://bathist.ef.lc/ be aware of privacy though when using this online version.

generic-timeline.png