POWER LIMIT THROTTLING PLEASE HELP!!

I bought a Dell 7567 laptop a year ago with i7-7700hq , GTX 1050ti (4 gb), 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD , 1TB hard drive. i have been playing games since i bought the laptop but at present i have noticed drop in FPS and lag in games, i have checked and graphic drivers and BIOS and windows are all updated. i have run dell boot diagnostics and it says no problem, i have run their online diagnostics on dell support website no issue found, using dell support assist software i run all the tests nothing wrong is found. To further diagnose i have installed Intel XTU in that i have noticed that while playing games the power limit throttling shows YES. so i have googled about this and found out undervolting would help from a Reddit post.I have tried under volting and these are the screenshots.

ss2.thumb.png.aee42bcfc05578aea53292f0f77338eb.png

BEFORE UNDERVOLTING WHILE PLAYING WATCHDOGS

ss3.thumb.png.e6f748eabd51588447b4bfd4f7d68801.png

BEFORE UNDERVOLTING ( as soon as i close the game power limit throttling goes to no)

ss7.thumb.png.8096ea129260837a21297a72393d18dd.png

3D MARK TIME SPY SCORE BEFORE UNDERVOLTING

ss9.thumb.png.5e3e2f4326650ed71454004228baa459.png

AFTER UNDERVLOTING IT STILL POWER LIMIT THROTTLES

ss12.thumb.png.dfd1c5380258ca5f0bdee60ad41a3b87.png

AFTER UNDERVLOTING IT STILL POWER LIMIT THROTTLES

The power limit throttling doesn't show up while i performed CPU stress test, i ran CPU stress test for 30 minutes and even while playing games the CPU and GPU temperatures are at 70ish degrees.

please help me solving this issue i have been searching the internet for 2 days and even contacted dell support but nothing seems to work. 

do i need to do any other tests ?

or uninstall some program ?

PLEASE REPLY.

when you stress the CPU, your not putting any load or stress on the GPU. Gaming is doing both, driving up the power requirements for them to function. Chances are you have like a 250w power brick and are reaching the limits of the power it can produce. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Install MSI Afterburner, run it and slide the Power Limit slider up to max, hit apply then repeat the tests.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

when you stress the CPU, your not putting any load or stress on the GPU. Gaming is doing both, driving up the power requirements for them to function. Chances are you have like a 250w power brick and are reaching the limits of the power it can produce. 

My laptop came with a 130W power brick and i am using that. when i bought the laptop i didn't face this issue i used to play for 8hrs straight .. no lag or FPS drop. since a week i am facing this problem. so maybe something is wrong with the power brink ??

doubt the brick is bad. If it were bad, your system would shut off or switch to battery instead. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

17 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Install MSI Afterburner, run it and slide the Power Limit slider up to max, hit apply then repeat the tests.

installed MSI Afterburner , unable to slide the sliders of Power Limit , Core Voltage And Temp.Limit. they are grayed out.. i guess you cannot change them in a laptopimage.thumb.png.067961b8a445d9c524bdded18997de00.png

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

doubt the brick is bad. If it were bad, your system would shut off or switch to battery instead. 

it charges fine , brick doesn't heat , or smells like something burned. I am not able to find what is causing POWER LIMIT THROTTLING!, any idea what could be the issue ?

Just now, boogeyman7567 said:

it charges fine , brick doesn't heat , or smells like something burned. I am not able to find what is causing POWER LIMIT THROTTLING!, any idea what could be the issue ?

you have 130w PEAK.. you likely are maxing out the maximum wattage the brick can handle. There is nothing you can do beyond seeing if there is a higher wattage brick that you can get that will work with your laptop. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

turbo boost power max is set to 45watt tdp which is the default clock tdp, for higher turbo boost u need the tdp higher ( and set cpu to performance mode in bios if supported )

(◑‿◐)

41 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

if its brick relatedit would be current limit throttling instead of power limit

7700hq with 1050gtx runs even on 120watt power bricks, 250 is overkkill for laptop

(◑‿◐)

10 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

you have 130w PEAK.. you likely are maxing out the maximum wattage the brick can handle. There is nothing you can do beyond seeing if there is a higher wattage brick that you can get that will work with your laptop. 

there are 180W , 240W and 330W power bricks for dell alienware  laptops. but past few months i did not have any issues the brick and laptop worked fine. only since a week i am facing this issue.

19 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

turbo boost power max is set to 45watt tdp which is the default clock tdp, for higher turbo boost u need the tdp higher ( and set cpu to performance mode in bios if supported )

there is this setting in bios , this would help with higher TDP ?

20180908_143636.thumb.jpg.7929cdc5f52d0f4695b9243a11966fc5.jpg

4 minutes ago, boogeyman7567 said:

there is this setting in bios , this would help with higher TDP ?

20180908_143636.thumb.jpg.7929cdc5f52d0f4695b9243a11966fc5.jpg

disabling speedstep could help but its a 50 chance, usually theres just a setting in the bios on laptop to set cpu to performance mode

(◑‿◐)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

That's not related to CPU

1 hour ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Chances are you have like a 250w power brick and are reaching the limits of the power it can produce.

Impossible for CPU only load. Also 7567 comes with 130W brick

38 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

7700HQ can run most programs fine under 45W power consumption

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, boogeyman7567 said:

snip

Try doing a clean Windows install. There's a chance of VRM throttling which can happen in 7567

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

3 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Try doing a clean Windows install. There's a chance of VRM throttling which can happen in 7567

how is windows causing the throttling ? i have very little knowledge about this please help me understand.

2 hours ago, boogeyman7567 said:

how is windows causing the throttling ? i have very little knowledge about this please help me understand.

Firmware is messed up, but that's just a possibility

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Windows reinstall is very likely to be a waste of time if you're trying to fix true limiting on your hardware.  Why not run a live Linux distro and run some stress testing?  This will take 15 minutes, including the usb creation, and net you the same results without causing more work with the OS reinstall.

The good news is that you've probably always been dealing with power limiting, but something else is impacting your performance.  You didn't go looking under the hood before the performance impact.  I'd really not focus on this.

Check to make sure you didn't enable "whisper" mode in GeForce experience and you aren't running in any type of power save.  You can also set your max cpu performance in power options to 99% to artificially disable the processor's turbo boost, if you think there's some other kind of power/temperature limit being imposed.  You'll notice you're running pretty close to the stock clock on the CPU, which could give you headroom elsewhere.

Or... there are 14 other factors that would need investigating.

On 9/9/2018 at 6:58 PM, antuus said:

Windows reinstall is very likely to be a waste of time if you're trying to fix true limiting on your hardware.  Why not run a live Linux distro and run some stress testing?  This will take 15 minutes, including the usb creation, and net you the same results without causing more work with the OS reinstall.

The good news is that you've probably always been dealing with power limiting, but something else is impacting your performance.  You didn't go looking under the hood before the performance impact.  I'd really not focus on this.

Check to make sure you didn't enable "whisper" mode in GeForce experience and you aren't running in any type of power save.  You can also set your max cpu performance in power options to 99% to artificially disable the processor's turbo boost, if you think there's some other kind of power/temperature limit being imposed.  You'll notice you're running pretty close to the stock clock on the CPU, which could give you headroom elsewhere.

Or... there are 14 other factors that would need investigating.

i have talked to dell support again after 5 day, since the day they asked me to update bios. even they are asking me to reinstall windows and my laptop warranty expired a month ago so they say the cant help any more until i buy extended warranty.

i didn't have this issue before, as i have been playing games and using lightroom and photoshop since i bought the laptop( a year ago). 

i have set the power options to maximum performance,and whisper mode is only available for gtx1060(notebook) and above,

the performance have gotten worse today as you can see in my previous screenshots while power limit throttling the cpu would downclock to 2.1ghz 

but now as of today(9th -sept- 2018) the cpu is downclocked to 0.8ghz. here are few screenshots.

ss13.thumb.png.21dedae3aecb61de8d3c24159741ee1b.png

-------------------------------------- IN GAME SCREENSHOTS-----------------------------------------

Picture2.thumb.jpg.f287fbc42a7f7376d37ef7228322ee93.jpg

Picture1.thumb.jpg.24a5ea4ef38903deea307a27c8602e05.jpg

WHAT OTHER FACTORS DO I NEED TO CHECK ? CAN YOU SUGGEST ?

ss13.png

• 9 months later...

Hey i don't know if this is still relevant or not but if you wanna disable power limit throttling there are a couple ways that have worked for me 

btw i have the exact same dell 7567 laptop you have.

With some laptops the power brick that comes with the laptop is not sufficient to provide power to both the CPU and GPU

so the CPU power limit throttles(I.e it lowers its core clock)

now for this particular cpu the i7 7700hq there are a couple things you can try

First Method: In Intel XTU undervolt that cpu a little more, -120 or -125 (on mine i under volt it to -135 without any performance drop but that's just the silicon lottery). Along with this lower the turbo boost short power max to 45W 

So what Intel cpu's do is for a short amount of time they are given a tdp limit beyond Intel's specs(this usually last for at max a min) by lowering this you make sure that your spu remains in that 45w limit and does not throttle as soon as the turbo boost short power max window is over

DO NOT try and increase your window as far as i know XTU does not allow this and if it is successful you could damage your board.

i Don't actually expect that to work but if it does yay, you have gotten rid of power limit throttling

Second Method: follow the following steps :

Open device manager 

Click on System devices 

Find Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Processor Participant

Right click and uninstall device (make sure you click delete driver software) and then Scan for hardware changes 

you should find an unknown PCI Data Acquisition and Signal processing controller, right click and disable this.

this should usually work but NOTE: that windows will automatically update the driver and restore it back so you need to change both your Ethernet and WiFi settings to metered connections in the windows settings for network and internet.

before you run any test make sure you open device manager and confirm that there is an unknown PCI Data Acquisition and Signal processing controller if there isn't you need to follow the steps again.

This method worked for me with no issues to performance or thermals 

though the computer does run slightly hotter at idle

Third method: 

This method is rather simple but will decrease your battery life

Open your bios and disable speedstep 

what this does is let your computer run at it's highest frequency at all times (which in turn lowers battery life)

This method also worked for me but as i said decreased my battery life 

ALT Method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNt9L3BWOFo 

Follow this video on how to use throttle stop to undervolt your CPU better than XTU and to solve your power limit throttling issues 

What i find interesting are those framerates you're getting and why your laptop is getting downclocked so low, cause even with PWT my pc stays above 3.2 Ghz

id suggest a clean install of windows and barring that reinstalling some drivers 

I hope i was able to help solve your problem 

Happy Gaming :)

Can i turn speedstep off with throttlestop?

• 2 weeks later...

Try deleting Intel XTU and/or Throttle Stop (or both if you have both instaled), I had this same issue on my asus vivobook (i5 7200u) and i was trying to fix it for the past 5 months (it started about a week after installing Intel XTU (undervolting)). Yesterday I gave up on this issue and deleted Throttle Stop (i switched from Intel XTU, becouse others said its better) and the problem is now GONE. I wanted to smash my monitor when i found this out, its the least obvious thing. Also my laptop power limit throttled even while using chrome to 0,36 Ghz and i was already considering buying a new computer. Basically, it was unusable.

Also if this worked for you, as it did for me, please make sure other people see it. And don't forget to update your bios.

I hope you see this and that it helped anybody :). 

Ok, the post above was actually a placebo effect, because i aparently forgot about something i did. I fixed it in the nvidia control panel by selecting intergrated graphics as a main graphics processor and then under "program settings" selected the nvidia graphics card for programs that will benifit from using it aka games and editing software.

This worked for me, again, the previous post was just a biiigggg placebo effect.

I hope this actualy helped.

• 11 months later...
On 6/19/2019 at 9:37 AM, Vink221 said:

Hey i don't know if this is still relevant or not but if you wanna disable power limit throttling there are a couple ways that have worked for me 

btw i have the exact same dell 7567 laptop you have.

With some laptops the power brick that comes with the laptop is not sufficient to provide power to both the CPU and GPU

so the CPU power limit throttles(I.e it lowers its core clock)

now for this particular cpu the i7 7700hq there are a couple things you can try

First Method: In Intel XTU undervolt that cpu a little more, -120 or -125 (on mine i under volt it to -135 without any performance drop but that's just the silicon lottery). Along with this lower the turbo boost short power max to 45W 

So what Intel cpu's do is for a short amount of time they are given a tdp limit beyond Intel's specs(this usually last for at max a min) by lowering this you make sure that your spu remains in that 45w limit and does not throttle as soon as the turbo boost short power max window is over

DO NOT try and increase your window as far as i know XTU does not allow this and if it is successful you could damage your board.

i Don't actually expect that to work but if it does yay, you have gotten rid of power limit throttling

Second Method: follow the following steps :

Open device manager 

Click on System devices 

Find Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Processor Participant

Right click and uninstall device (make sure you click delete driver software) and then Scan for hardware changes 

you should find an unknown PCI Data Acquisition and Signal processing controller, right click and disable this.

this should usually work but NOTE: that windows will automatically update the driver and restore it back so you need to change both your Ethernet and WiFi settings to metered connections in the windows settings for network and internet.

before you run any test make sure you open device manager and confirm that there is an unknown PCI Data Acquisition and Signal processing controller if there isn't you need to follow the steps again.

This method worked for me with no issues to performance or thermals 

though the computer does run slightly hotter at idle

Third method: 

This method is rather simple but will decrease your battery life

Open your bios and disable speedstep 

what this does is let your computer run at it's highest frequency at all times (which in turn lowers battery life)

This method also worked for me but as i said decreased my battery life 

ALT Method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNt9L3BWOFo 

Follow this video on how to use throttle stop to undervolt your CPU better than XTU and to solve your power limit throttling issues 

What i find interesting are those framerates you're getting and why your laptop is getting downclocked so low, cause even with PWT my pc stays above 3.2 Ghz

id suggest a clean install of windows and barring that reinstalling some drivers 

I hope i was able to help solve your problem 

Happy Gaming :)

I was having this problem and that fixed it right up. Holding at 3.38GHz. Thanks for the help, my fans are quieter now too.

holy-necro-batman.jpg

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)