Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JustAnotherTechGuy99

Why stick with Windows besides Gaming?

Posted · Original PosterOP
14 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I use Linux at work. Linux is great at what it was designed for... actually it i really awesome for what it was designed for.

But as an end user, desktop experience. It feels like I am using, at times, and at best, Windows XP. It is so dated (not in looks, in functionality) it is frustrating. Sure they are different desktop environment you can install and use, not to mention tweaked ones included in some distro, but they all have issues that you just don't have in Windows. But that is just the desktop experience, as a home computer, with update of packages, conflicts, installing apps... what... a ... headache.... and sllllloooowww. And you still need to restart your computer after updates... you don't need to... but just what how things grumble when you don't. And yes, I had my share of kernel panics as well (BSODs). That is why in production we use (depending on what is needed): RedHat Linux Enterprise or CentOS (same but no support), where both are, deeply tested instead of "latest and greatest" to insure stability and reliability, and that is very true.... (but it is like using a system from before Windows XP at times... but I am ignoring this, as this is not my daily driver at work).

Another issue, and this is the big one: open source sucks. Oh the wonderful world of free. But there is a cost to that. And that cost is, on many successful projects, (ones that are not dead in terms of developers working on it), is that the creators tend to release a beta version, even alpha as "official release", to get developers to work on it. This includes company projects from Google. I have seen or heard co-workers in other groups complain that they have had their share of documented APIs that they use in some open source library, even ones backed by a big company, that was just recently released, that have APIs that just don't work, or worst, ones in the code, the function has nothing but a return successful flag, making you think whatever you have done worked, but if course doesn't, and you break your head on why it doesn't, until you decide to look at the code of the library or tool you are using to get the surprise. So to solve this, you need to avoid being alpha/beta, and that is done by using old versions, sometimes several versions old. And, due to the backward compatibility not taken into account in many open source projects, even taught they are some level of intent, unlike Windows (which is also not perfect), you have to go with the mentality that once everything is deployed, DO NOT TOUCH. Do not upgrade any library or software (beside yours of course) unless you have the team/time to test everything thing and aspect of the stuff you use with your project (some companies do have the resources for this).

What saves the day for me and many at the office, is Windows Subsystem for Linux. While not perfect for all type of situations and might still make you use VMs or dedicated install of Linux distro of choice or SSH to a VM installed in a server, it is god send. Depending on your role or like me task, when I get to be able to use WSL, it is amazing. I get to merge everything awesome about Windows with Linux.

Anyway, what I am trying to say, is that the grass is not greener on the other side, not even close, for a day to day use. Now, if you are happy with Linux, where you found a distro that you like, than great! Enjoy! As long as you are happy, that is what matters. However, for me, Windows is unbeatable. To push this fact, a mass number of developers that need to use Linux/Unix, tend to use a Mac. Why? Because it does Windows Subsystem for Linux (but even better, as Unix is the core of Apple's OSX, so it is the real thing), so they get to use the modern desktop experience, designed for productivity and end user usage, done by experts who specialize in that, like with Windows, topped proper font rendering for ease of read, polished experience... well.. more polished than any Linux xWindows environment and get to use Linux/Unix. It is of no surprise that is the case, especially that mass number of startups and small companies uses Apple computers, as their developers get to be able to use much better daily environments/setup for developing the back-end/phone apps/whatever and reduce direct contact with a Linux distro desktop environment as their main environment. And this is the main reason Microsoft is working on Windows Subsystem for Linux. This is why they introduce it.  It is because Microsoft is losing developer interest in this mobile world, as developers need to use Linux/Unix based system, and goes, more and more, to Apple, or use some Linux distro, as Windows ignored the web, ignored mobile phones (treated smartphones as a fad) and so Windows can't be a back-end in much of anything. Heck, even hosting a website, Windows is not the OS used in the majority of cases, and Microsoft Azure cloud platform, is also not limited to Windows, as Microsoft knows that Windows is far behind.

I think the only way to happy with Linux, as a daily driver, end user desktop, is to NEVER seriously use OSX or Windows, as if you do for a while and seriously, returning will be depressing. But, being open in mind, and using Linux gets one to appreciate more OSX and Windows even if those are also not perfect.

I see your point to some extend. However, at least for me i have Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.0+ dual booted and i end up using Ubuntu for everything, the only time i use Windows is for specific software which i can also technically run online through a web browser (but i hate having to be on the internet at all times to use it). I use my main gaming rig with Windows for games (of course) but at least now with the announcement from Steam there has never been a more realistic time for Linux market share to increase so we COULD be seeing a shift soon.

Sincerely,

JATG

You are asking what is the point of staying on Windows despite gaming, some Windows only programs for work or education, right?
I'll ask you back: What's the reason to leave Windows and go to another OS?

I'll say this: I have Windows 10 at home, I game on weekends, sometimes use it for browsing, checking FB and that's it. Few years ago I tried Ubuntu. It wasn't bad, I could do same there (browsing Internet, checking Facebook and etc..), but I couldn't game there. So I went back to Windows 10. In short, what I want to say, even if I stopped playing games in my PC, why I should go back to Linux (When the only thing I do there is browse Internet and check Facebook)? I can do on both system, but why go on Linux when I already have Windows. In short, both operating systems are good with me, difference is that I can't game on Linux, so I would give Windows 5/5 and to Linux 4/5.

If there were games on Linux and I didn't have Windows, then yes, I would get Linux which is free rather paying some cash, but when there are no games on Linux and I already have Windows, then I choose to stay on it.

I stick with Windows because I am used to it for a long time.

Gaming Rig

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 4GB OC

RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR4-2400 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AX370M-DS3H

CPU Cooler: Deepcool Ice Edge Mini FS V2.0

SSD: WD Blue SSD 250 GB

HDD: WD Blue HDD 1 TB