Windows 7 still getting support and security updates? Well, Microsoft Confirms Extended Support Option for Windows 7.

PatXioPC
12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

What's that got to do with windows 7 hardware compatibility? o.O

You can get win7 drivers for video cards, but not for motherboards(chipset, usb, etc). This method solves it while keeping GPU performance.

It's nowhere near as good as their windows driver yet.

Its pretty close:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gxk8f80rw14bvw/linux.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/haz5500x5yzl1qp/win7.PNG?dl=0

In real games you wont notice it IMO. (Especially if you consider that the linux version used opengl not vulkan.)

For now, and if you want to maintain retrocompatibility you're forced to not use the new stuff windows 10 introduced. Nobody will do that once 7 and 8 are no longer supported.

Is there anything new? It seemed to me they are concentrating on crapware windows platform and the crapware store.....

22 hours ago, EPENEX said:

Windows 7 is an outdated poorly made OS. It's just a slightly less bloated version of Vista which everyone knows wasn't good.

So many things wrong in such a small comment.

1. Vista SP2 was solid. Even SP1 was pretty good.

2. If anything, one could argue that 7 is MORE "bloated" than VSP2.

3. By your way of thinking, Windows 10 is just a more bloated version of Windows 8. (And Windows 8 was just a "more bloated" version of 7, and so on.)

4. If Windows 7 is "poorly made" and "outdated", then so is Windows 10. 10 is practically the same damn thing under the hood with very minor improvements, despite this common misconception that anything resembling major progress has been made from M$ in the last 8 years. Windows 7 is a wonderfully stable OS that is still perfectly viable. Now if you wanna sink the whole ship, I'll agree, ALL Windows is outdated and poorly made when compared to Linux or even OS X.

5. Doubting you even used Vista. Only people who think Vista was bad either A. used it at launch or B. just hopped on the bandwagon. Yes, it's launch was terrible (just like Windows 8), but it got fixed and became a solid OS.

I really can't wait for this OS to die, I wish it would come sooner.

Point on the doll where Windows 7 touched you.

To conclude, I'll just leave this here.

To sum this whole post up, if you call 7 shit, then 10 isn't looking much better.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Windows 7 and XP are a great OSes and They will always be .

I believe win 98 was great too.

But always, Everything has an end , Time passes .

Nothing will change that.

But, their is on thing time cannot change .

It is the past.

Everything great is great and will always be great.

Nothing can change that.

But, you have to accept that time passes.

Nothing can change that .

Everything has a usable life.

So you have to ask yourself .

When does these creations deserve to rest in peace ?

When does these creations deserve to be written in the book of history ?

When this book will be closed to allow us to go forward ?

Thus, we conclude that :

Holding to the past will never change anything .

You have to seek for the future.

And do something that changes the world.

Before you become a part of the past and you .......

So, accept that everything has an ending .

Win 7 will end sometime accept that.

try to accept win 10 or one day ,

you will be FORCED to do that.

(I had a ton of emotions when a wrote this) 

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

1 minute ago, 2Buck said:

5. Doubting you even used Vista. Only people who think Vista was bad either A. used it at launch or B. just hopped on the bandwagon. Yes, it's launch was terrible (just like Windows 8), but it got fixed and became a solid OS.

Yes exactly , I do not know why people say that vista is shit.

Vista is a very good OS (with proper drivers)

Win 7 is also stable .

So, Nobody say a bad word about vista

everything has hits and wins

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

25 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Is there anything new? It seemed to me they are concentrating on crapware windows platform and the crapware store.....

I'm not sure you realize that I don't get to make that decision. Crap or not, we get what MS wants us to get. Also yes, there are new additions in Windows 10 APIs (you can read all about them here) and their number will increase steadily, even if you don't consider DX 12.

32 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Injecting a driver during the installation process will fix that.  My Win7 is booting from a 960PRO just fine.  MS could have added that functionality if they had chosen to do so.

Of course they could have, but why would they? There's a new Windows version out that supports nvme boot out of the box, why would they bother adding it to an old release? Driver injection is just a workaround, it may not work on every motherboard and you'll need workarounds for more and more things as manufacturers drop support for 7.

2 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

If Windows 7 is "poorly made" and "outdated", then so is Windows 10. 10 is practically the same damn thing under the hood with very minor improvements, despite this common misconception that anything resembling major progress has been made from M$ in the last 8 years. Windows 7 is a wonderfully stable OS that is still perfectly viable. Now if you wanna sink the whole ship, I'll agree, ALL Windows is outdated and poorly made when compared to Linux or even OS X.

What if I told you the reason windows advances at a snail's pace are people who insist on using an obsolete system until the day it is wrestled out of their corpse's hands? Windows 10 is MS' attempt to move past that and get everyone on a rolling release system that doesn't need you to do anything to stay up to date with the new features. I don't like windows as a whole either, but the approach of sticking to 7 or 8.1 only makes it worse.

3 minutes ago, Void Master said:

Yes exactly , I do not know why people say that vista is shit.

Because it was, at least on release - it required insane specs (for the time) to run properly and even then it was prone to crashes and weird problems. Even if it got better years later that doesn't excuse the terrible state it was released in. 7, on release, was significantly better than 2006 vista and even if it was slightly less mature than sp2 vista it came out at a time where the specs of most computers were much more up to the task. Vista earned its reputation as a rushed and terrible release and it doesn't deserve to be defended.

8 minutes ago, Void Master said:

everything has hits and wins

And vista's release was definitely a low point for windows.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, Void Master said:

I for one wont accept it and i surely wont be forced to use it. Already jumped onto linux and told the whole family that i wont touch anything with win10. Plus they can forget about using my network with those devices.

10 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:
24 minutes ago, Void Master said:

I for one wont accept it and i surely wont be forced to use it. Already jumped onto linux and told the whole family that i wont touch anything with win10. Plus they can forget about using my network with those devices.

What happens if you are a gamer or someone that spends all his time on the web ?(That needs to use windows Only no other OS suggestions now)

What happens If one day dx13 was released ?

Btw do not think that I am against win 7 .

Win 7 is a good OS (I have good memories with it)

16 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Vista earned its reputation as a rushed and terrible release and it doesn't deserve to be defended

It deserves, believe me.

It's a mistake that made windows become better in the future.

the glorious Win XP was a result of Win ME and 2000 problems   

50 minutes ago, Void Master said:

It deserves, believe me.

It made windows better by acknowledging it was terrible. You don't learn from mistakes by saying they were good.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:
53 minutes ago, Void Master said:

It deserves, believe me.

It made windows better by acknowledging it was terrible. You don't learn from mistakes by saying they were good.

I was just seeing the good side.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

What if I told you the reason windows advances at a snail's pace are people who insist on using an obsolete system until the day it is wrestled out of their corpse's hands?

Yeah, it's definitely that. It's not like Microsoft has a monopoly or anything...

It moves slow because they have no reason to improve it. And again, calling 7 "obsolete" makes zero sense because if 7 is obsolete then so is 10. Honestly the only way to improve Windows in my eyes is to tear everything down and start over, but for hundreds of reasons that won't happen.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

3 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Yeah, it's definitely that. It's not like Microsoft has a monopoly or anything...

They have a monopoly because users give it to them, that doesn't mean they aren't under pressure from developers and corporate clients to improve (at least certain parts of) their OS. Again, sticking to an old version of windows doesn't make their monopoly any less severe.

5 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

And again, calling 7 "obsolete" makes zero sense because if 7 is obsolete then so is 10. Honestly the only way to improve Windows in my eyes is to tear everything down and start over, but for hundreds of reasons that won't happen.

That depends on what you mean by obsolete... and again, they can't tear everything down if half (or more) of their users refuse to move on from previous releases and demand continued support.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 hours ago, JustAnotherTechGuy99 said:

In my personal experience Windows 7 was great before Windows 10 arrived. Despite the spyware (literally everything digital has it) Windows 10 is  better for gaming. Now, unless you are a huge Windows 7 fan than ok good stay with it till 2020, but for all modern gaming features and drivers especially Direct X 12 i will go with Windows 10.  Not too mention but Windows 7 feels so old now after using Windows 10.

For me, it's the opposite: Windows 10's ugly Windows 3.1-based retro interface and how slow all the menus are in Windows 10 (they're much slower than the menus in Windows 7) make Windows 10 feel old to me.

DirectX 12 is a dud. It tends to makes games slower, not faster. Also, hardly any game uses it, and more developers are leaning towards Vulkan (which does the same thing) instead of DX12 - and Windows 7 has Vulkan support.

Also, lots of games runs faster, even significantly faster in Windows 7 than they do in Windows 10. Here's a comparison I made of the benefits of gaming in Windows 7 or Windows 10:

And LTT has done a video showing that gaming performance in Windows 10 is decreased unless Gaming Mode is turned off:

Windows 7 doesn't have Windows 10's Gaming Mode, thankfully, and as a result runs games faster than Windows 10 does by default.

10 hours ago, EPENEX said:

Windows 7 is an outdated poorly made OS. It's just a slightly less bloated version of Vista which everyone knows wasn't good. I really can't wait for this OS to die, I wish it would come sooner.

Huh? Windows 7 is a much better made OS than Windows 10 is. Windows 7 is more solid, reliable, has fewer security vulnerabilities, has far less bloatware, no adware, offers the system owner more control, and can do pretty much everything that Windows 10 can. Windows 7 was made by a robust and experienced Microsoft, before data-harvesting was a goal, and was made with an OS-first mentality.

Windows 10 was made as Microsoft fired its testing engineers and switched its CEO to the current psychopath, and has been made with a data-harvesting-first philosophy. The current Microsoft lacks skilled workers and testing resources, and those things show in the final product.

There are extremely few differences between Windows 7 and Windows 10 - Windows 10 is mostly just a reskin of Windows 7 and 8 for the sake of Microsoft adding tons of invasive and illegal spyware and data-theftware. But, at their cores, they're basically the same OS. So, if you think you're using a "modern" OS with Windows 10 (despite its retro visual design and slower menus) and not with Windows 7, then you've been suckered in by Microsoft's propaganda and that of their sycophants.

If you want to see that Windows 10 is the least secure Windows OS ever, and how the security of all modern Windows OS' has degraded severely since Satya Nadella became Microsoft's CEO, check out this post:

P.S. Vista was a fantastic OS that got a bad rep because:

1) it released without 3rd-party drivers, and the public was horrendously tech-ignorant at the time and had no idea what drivers were, where to get them, and how to install them.

2) it was being installed on machines that weren't powerful enough for it, both out of retail stores and when people upgraded their old XP systems to Vista. On my Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz (overclocked to 3.2 or 3.4 Ghz) with 4 GB of RAM, it ran flawlessly.

3) Windows Vista's UAC was draconian by default and turning it off or down wasn't obvious.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, Void Master said:

What happens if you are a gamer or someone that spends all his time on the web ?(That needs to use windows Only no other OS suggestions now)

Isolated VM on a linux host...... (Things have to be pretty bad though if i resort to this.)

Not buying them until there is support. I would wait anyway for prices to come down.....

It does not really surprise me that some organisations still use old operating systems due to the fact that some of their software are just crap on more up-to-date operating systems (I suppose). At one occasion, I had to work with Windows XP (That was like two years ago from now) until they upgraded their hardware. Either the company isn't bothered to upgrade/update their software/hardware or it's just to 'difficult' from them to transfer their data and whatnot to newer software. At the end, it's all up to the IT department. Still, regarding W7, to a certain degree, I can understand why MS is doing this for enterprises, but then again and at the end, you need to update/upgrade eventually. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

9 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Isolated VM on a linux host...... (Things have to be pretty bad though if i resort to this.)

Not buying them until there is support. I would wait anyway for prices to come down.....

If somebody does not know a lot about PCs , what you be his choice ? (a non techy guy)

24 minutes ago, Master Delta Chief said:

Either the company isn't bothered to upgrade/update their software/hardware or it's just to 'difficult' from them to transfer their data and whatnot to newer software.

Its the former. I worked for a big corporation that had 50 or so XP machines are were to lazy to upgrade their software. When I was put in charge of upgrading them I gave them a stick dead line and on the last day they said we need a few more months I firmly said your PCs are going to be upgrade at the end of the day. This was a PCI compliance needed to be met....only took them I think 20 mins to get it working on Win 7...

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Linux Mint/Lubuntu....

My go to as well. Until they need one program a year later and call me saying I need this one program and I cant install it. 

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:
21 minutes ago, Void Master said:

If somebody does not know a lot about PCs , what you be his choice ? (a non techy guy)

Linux Mint/Lubuntu....

What happens to gaming then ?

What happens if I want to play battlefield V ?

30 minutes ago, Master Delta Chief said:

Either the company isn't bothered to upgrade/update their software/hardware or it's just to 'difficult' from them to transfer their data and whatnot to newer software.

Or that PC is needed for some ancient machinery that requires a particular software and/or HW to be able to communicate with said machine, and it does not work on newer OS's. One thing is common in all companies, they do not throw away stuff if it still works and does its job well.

2 minutes ago, Void Master said:

Play on Linux. No fiddling with terminal, basically idiot proof.....

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:
3 minutes ago, Void Master said:

@jagdtigger Some games are not compatible with Linux

btw everyone has an opinion. so, it is better to let this down Please !!!!

5 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Far from user friendly at times.