Windows 7 still getting support and security updates? Well, Microsoft Confirms Extended Support Option for Windows 7.

PatXioPC

Microsoft Relents, Confirms Extended Support Option for Windows 7

Currently, most Windows 7 users will stop getting updates until January 14, 2020. The operating system launched in 2009, so the OS will be more than a decade old at that point. Microsoft is probably anxious to avoid another Windows XP situation where there were so many users of the ancient OS that Microsoft had no choice but to extend support several times. It wasn’t able to drop support for XP until April of 2014 when the OS was almost 13 years old.

Good-old windows 7 is still being used by various different companies and organizations and being a lite OS, it can be handled by the many underpowered small systems. But security update was really an issue because so many IT data had been stored and they weren't as safe as they were in the modern OS. Windows 7 was at the end of support but 

Microsoft’s VP for Office and Windows marketing Jared Spataro has offered a helping hand to some Windows 7 holdouts. He confirms that enterprise customers will be able to pay for extended support on Windows 7.

console.log("way to pro");

Just now, lambuibao said:

Did he just say, enterprise users only?

Where for general, non-professional individuals, these security patches might not be so sensible but for the big IT organizations where they store massive data. Switching OS for regular individuals might not be super tedious but for the enterprise users, it definitely is. That's why it makes sense why Enterprise users are getting this extension. 

console.log("way to pro");

No issues with that.

Gamers would've upgraded to Windows 10 if they really cared for the newest features and hardware, while mainstream will just use whatever until their PC dies.
Enterprises need time to adopt need updates and OSes, to make sure their garbage/badly coded softwares will still work on newer updates and what not, so it makes sense for them to get an extension.
But I fully expect that enterprise lock to be "hacked"/bypassed, the same way it was for Windows XP, allowing even regular users to get those security updates.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Good-old windows 7 is still being used by various different companies and organizations and being a lite OS, it can be handled by the many underpowered small systems. 

I wish that OS would go already, maybe the company I work for would actually care enough to upgrade our slow AF computers. Which incidentally are SFF optiplexs that quote makes out to be sufficient in 2018.

8 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

I wish that OS would go already, maybe the company I work for would actually care enough to upgrade our slow AF computers. Which incidentally are SFF optiplexs that quote makes out to be sufficient in 2018.

Whilst I can agree that such extended legacy support needs to become a thing of the past, I can't say full stop that the transition to anything beyond 7 is a good idea for enterprise clients.

my experiences is limited to a sample set of one, but since I've made the transition to 10 (from 7 mind you), the last three years seem to be a continual tick-tock of Microsoft releasing updates, then having to fix everything they broke just to break a new set of things with the next large update. A few months back, I was having an issue where Windows would reserve memory for itself, but not release it when unused and.or needed, and after sometimes as short as an hour, i'd find my system to be so cripplingly slow that it was unusable because I was running on less than a GB of RAM.
For the last six months or so, Windows has decided to take control of the FPS of both foreground and background applications. I'll find that some games will suddenly drop to a cripplingly slow 15 fps until I alt tab, less frequently i'll have to restart the application, and even less frequently, have to do a complete system restart.
I think we also all remember going through a phase where the start menu was basically like your lazy freeloader uncle who only worked once every three weeks.

In retrospect, I do believe that 7 was a far more stable environment. The only clearly defined thing i've seen never have an issue that works better than Windows 7 was/is force closing via the task manager.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I better stop procrastinating about doing my Linux homework, because 2020 fast approaches and I will NOT be going to 10. Either I get Linux to do everything I need it to do, or I sit around on 7 until I do.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Windows 7 is an outdated poorly made OS. It's just a slightly less bloated version of Vista which everyone knows wasn't good. I really can't wait for this OS to die, I wish it would come sooner.

6 hours ago, lambuibao said:

I'm sure if you phone up Microsoft and offer to pay them thousands of dollars a year to keep getting updates per computer that you own in exchange for updates to Windows 7 like Enterprise customers do, they'll be more than happy to oblige.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

2 hours ago, EPENEX said:

Windows 7 is an outdated poorly made OS. It's just a slightly less bloated version of Vista which everyone knows wasn't good.

People who "know" Vista wasn't good either never actually used Vista or only used it in the early days when driver support was abysmal and the hardware just wasn't good enough to run it.  By the time SP2 came around it was perfectly stable, as Linus demonstrates below.  

Oh, and of course :

ox838.jpg.697dff800d9ea06c896972b700dc6f5a.jpg

On-topic : hopefully there will be a way (even if it's not really legal) for regular users to get those patches too.

We're 16 months away from Win7's EoL, and according to NetMarketShare Win7 is still at 40.27% whereas Win10 is at 37.80%.

In December 2012, 16 months before XP went EoL, XP had a 39.08% market share and Win7 had 45.11%. 

if those numbers are anything to go by, this is going to be worse than when XP went EoL. 

8 hours ago, lambuibao said:

They probably don't expect a consumer to be crazy enough to pay for this.

As for everyone saying they will never upgrade to 10 and will stick with 7 or vista (lol)... it's not like you have a choice if you want to keep using windows. Eventually, aside from security concerns, compatibility will become a major problem and the more you delay the inevitable, the harder the transition will be.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

They probably don't expect a consumer to be crazy enough to pay for this.

As for everyone saying they will never upgrade to 10 and will stick with 7 or vista (lol)... it's not like you have a choice if you want to keep using windows. Eventually, aside from security concerns, compatibility will become a major problem and the more you delay the inevitable, the harder the transition will be.

Honestly the chances of things becoming incompatible is pretty slim. Win32 isn't changing in any substantial ways in the upcoming years.

You've got to worry about compatibility with UWP sure, but it might be better to avoid UWP even if you're on Windows 10 to avoid encouraging it's cancerous growth.

27 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Honestly the chances of things becoming incompatible is pretty slim. Win32 isn't changing in any substantial ways in the upcoming years.

Uhm... it's not just a matter of kernel. Remember what a mess Aero made of some older apps? Not to mention the inevitable evolution of APIs like directx and .net in general that will move forward without windows 7. In fact, the only reason windows still has the freaking registry is retrocompatibility - when they drop support for older version it's entirely possible they'll get rid of it entirely (and yes, UWP is a bad way to do it - that probably won't stop them) and developers will have to choose whether they want to keep compiling and debugging stuff twice to be compatible with an unsupported OS from over a decade earlier or not bother.

And what about hardware? Good luck upgrading your system when windows 7 drivers are no longer made. Even now quite a few features of modern hardware aren't supported in windows 7. It doesn't even support NVME boot. As I said, eventually you'll have to switch to 10 or use something other than windows unless you want to cripple your machine.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Uhm... it's not just a matter of kernel. Remember what a mess Aero made of some older apps? Not to mention the inevitable evolution of APIs like directx and .net in general that will move forward without windows 7. In fact, the only reason windows still has the freaking registry is retrocompatibility - when they drop support for older version it's entirely possible they'll get rid of it entirely (and yes, UWP is a bad way to do it - that probably won't stop them) and developers will have to choose whether they want to keep compiling and debugging stuff twice to be compatible with an unsupported OS from over a decade earlier or not bother.

And what about hardware? Good luck upgrading your system when windows 7 drivers are no longer made. Even now quite a few features of modern hardware aren't supported in windows 7. It doesn't even support NVME boot. As I said, eventually you'll have to switch to 10 or use something other than windows unless you want to cripple your machine.

Most games are still dx10 so no danger there. Dropping registry wont happen if they want to keep their corporate customers. As for hardware @LinusTech already solved it with their linux video. Hopefully by the time GPU drivers arent made for it wine/steam play will be up to the task.

Microsoft is once again learning the cost of its obsession with legacy support: it trains companies to assume they can keep running the same OS for all eternity with Microsoft by their side.  Like children who'd live with their parents until age 40 if they could, enterprise customers need that swift kick out the door.

That is one of the things I appreciate about Apple... while it can be a bit ruthless about OS support at times, it reminds companies that they shouldn't get too comfortable.

20 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Most games are still dx10 so no danger there.

That's not a coincidence... the only reason older DX versions are supported is retrocompatibility. Once windows 7 and 8 are dropped, I guarantee you that won't be the case.

21 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Dropping registry wont happen if they want to keep their corporate customers. 

Corporate customers have custom built solutions and have no problem paying thousands to MS to keep giving them security patches for 7 - not to mention windows server, which is a completely different beast. You won't benefit from any of that.

23 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

As for hardware @LinusTech already solved it with their linux video.

Which one?

24 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Hopefully by the time GPU drivers arent made for it wine/steam play will be up to the task.

Wine pretends to be .net and directx, but it doesn't go toe to toe with windows; if something is only compatible with windows 10, chances are wine won't be able to help you for a while. Gpu drivers are likely to be dropped the moment 7 is no longer supported. Gpu drivers are also a problem on Linux and wine can't change that, even if it were perfect.

3 minutes ago, Commodus said:

That is one of the things I appreciate about Apple... while it can be a bit ruthless about OS support at times, it reminds companies that they shouldn't get too comfortable.

And that's why nobody uses Apple stuff in an enterprise environment :P

The cure isn't a kick out the door, it's open source - but Microsoft will never accept that.

Besides, you complain about companies wanting to stick with the same thing forever - but have you seen the consumers in this thread and others? It's not just companies, people in general are nostalgic and fear change. It's ridiculous to think of windows 7 as an "alternative" to windows 10 - it's just an old version of the same thing. And yet, despite most of the changes that anyone cares about being cosmetic or superficial, there's a whole movement around "resisting" windows 10 in favour of the more familiar 7, ignoring the flaws it had and still has because it's what they're used to. You're not "sticking it" to Microsoft if you use their product from 10 years earlier, you're still fueling their monopoly - which is the reason why they can get away with whatever they want in a new windows release. They know that you aren't going anywhere.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 hours ago, JustAnotherTechGuy99 said:

Windows 10 is not that bad, but if you insist on Linux i recommend Ubuntu.

Sincerely,

JATG

I've given w10 multiple chances, and I just can't use it. From the bit of Linux playing I've done over the years, I'm leaning towards Linux Mint.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

7 hours ago, EPENEX said:

Windows 7 is an outdated poorly made OS. It's just a slightly less bloated version of Vista which everyone knows wasn't good. I really can't wait for this OS to die, I wish it would come sooner.

I can tell someone hasn't actually used Vista with at least SP1... By that point the drivers were there and it was pretty good, and then when SP2 dropped it was 10/10...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So like how it was with XP for price for certain businesses and companies. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Which one?

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Gpu drivers are also a problem on Linux and wine can't change that, even if it were perfect.

Actually the only problem is nvidia with their proprietary driver, on the other hand AMD cards do not need that because it has an very good open source driver.

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Wine pretends to be .net and directx, but it doesn't go toe to toe with windows; if something is only compatible with windows 10, chances are wine won't be able to help you for a while.

Win10 has the same win32 API as previous versions and with mono .net stuff can run natively.

12 hours ago, PatXioPC said:

Microsoft Relents, Confirms Extended Support Option for Windows 7

Good-old windows 7 is still being used by various different companies and organizations and being a lite OS, it can be handled by the many underpowered small systems. But security update was really an issue because so many IT data had been stored and they weren't as safe as they were in the modern OS. Windows 7 was at the end of support but 

This is post-2020 support. It was no different for XP in the UK where the NHS was paying for support up until the start of 2016.

Looks like no different. Whats causing the problems for many people is 'planned obsolescence' both in hardware and software, which is causing many issues as for example 3 year old hardware can't support newer OS. Some of the software manufacturers are also making things even more acute

Planned obsolescence is companies basically trying to force consumers to upgrade earlier and earlier simply to maintain their sales.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

What's that got to do with windows 7 hardware compatibility? o.O

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Actually the only problem is nvidia with their proprietary driver, on the other hand AMD cards do not need that because it has an very good open source driver.

It's nowhere near as good as their windows driver yet.

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

,Win10 has the same win32 API as previous versions and with mono .net stuff can run natively.

For now, and if you want to maintain retrocompatibility you're forced to not use the new stuff windows 10 introduced. Nobody will do that once 7 and 8 are no longer supported.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Even now quite a few features of modern hardware aren't supported in windows 7. It doesn't even support NVME boot.

Injecting a driver during the installation process will fix that.  My Win7 is booting from a 960PRO just fine.  MS could have added that functionality if they had chosen to do so.