still severe lack of 4k monitors in 21-23 inch size range.

FITorion

Just bought 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/Acer-R240HY-bidx-23-8-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B0148NNKTC/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1536354070&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=monitor&dpPl=1&dpID=519rzl-wIQL&ref=plSrch 

1080p monitors because the selection of 4k monitors is still pitiful. how much longer do I have to wait for industry to fill this size class market hole?

Why would you want a tiny monitor like that in 4k? What's your use for this and why do you not want a bigger monitor? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I have 16 inches of vertical space to fit a monitor in. Larger monitors do not fit.

9 minutes ago, FITorion said:

I have 16 inches of vertical space to fit a monitor in. Larger monitors do not fit.

You could mod a laptop display.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Bought a few 4k monitors at 23.6in size (Acer K242HQKbmjdp) a few years ago - promised myself I'd never do that again because the lots of programs don't support scaling properly or at all and the ones that don't scale at all are a royal pain to use since they end up so small. And not to mention that setting the resolution to 1080p on the monitors resulted in a somewhat blurry picture that was almost more annoying.

So that's probably why there isn't more of them - 1440p at 24in is as dense as I'll go for desktop monitors

17 minutes ago, FITorion said:

Have you considered mounting the monitor on the VESA mount and not using the stand?  Most 27" monitors are less than 16" high without the stand.  I picked this at random from Newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/global/gr/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236885

Without stand it's only 15" tall.  Obviously, it depends on where your monitor space is relative to you as to whether this will work or not.  Just something to consider if you haven't thought of it yet.

3 hours ago, Blasteque said:

Have you considered mounting the monitor on the VESA mount and not using the stand?  Most 27" monitors are less than 16" high without the stand.  I picked this at random from Newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/global/gr/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236885

Without stand it's only 15" tall.  Obviously, it depends on where your monitor space is relative to you as to whether this will work or not.  Just something to consider if you haven't thought of it yet.

I also don't have any good place to mount any arm type mounts. 

Looking up at content isn't good for my neck.  So I don't want supper big monitors in any case... What I want and need is monitors the same physical size as my current monitors and 4K simply doesn't have a good selection of that yet. 

These are what I have to choose from: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=4k+monitor&ignorear=0&N=100160979 600987767&isNodeId=1

An utterly useless USB C input only abomination... LG UltraFine 22MD4KA-B

a couple of Dell things with really thick side bezels and an Eizo (never heard of them) thing for $2,462 that also has really thick side bezels.

So looks like I'll be sticking to 1080p for a while as 4K isn't ready or available yet.

21 hours ago, FITorion said:

An utterly useless USB C input only abomination... LG UltraFine 22MD4KA-B

you can always adapt it out to DP or HDMI, whichever one you want

21 hours ago, FITorion said:

an Eizo (never heard of them) thing for $2,462 that also has really thick side bezels.

Eizo makes professional-grade monitors for color grading and that kind of stuff fyi

IMO, it comes down to whether you really need 4k on that size of a display because a higher resolution is mainly so that you can increase screen size without sacrificing pixel density. If you simply want something greater than 1080p because you want an upgrade, then you could look at a 1440p display but unless you have a specific use case calling for really high PPI, then 4k on that size of a screen is impractical.