External graphics card for a old laptop?

So my just got my friends laptop running again and he wants it to play games at 60 fps and his computer now runs minecraft at a choppy 27 to 32 fps useing the built in intel graphics. I was thinking of him getting a external graphics card for his laptop. i was wondering with this set up would he get the fps needed thanks!
set up: GeForce GTX 670 
           Mini Pci-e V8.0 Exp GDC beast video card dock
           FSP Group AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply with Intel Haswell Ready              

overkill PSU for sure, and it's not guaranteed to work.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

This "dock", from Googling, seems to be just a stand to erect a GPU nakedly on... you'll also need mini PCI-E on the notebook for it to work. The 670 is like the minimum to go with as far as a GPU goes, and then you have that very meh and slightly overkill PSU on top of it... not to mention the CPU of the notebook, the interface limitations and all that mess. Just a horrible idea.

3 minutes ago, Motifator said:

This "dock", from Googling, seems to be just a stand to erect a GPU nakedly on... you'll also need mini PCI-E on the notebook for it to work. The 670 is like the minimum to go with as far as a GPU goes, and then you have that very meh and slightly overkill PSU on top of it... not to mention the CPU of the notebook, the interface limitations and all that mess. Just a horrible idea.

Thanks man do you have any ideas for a set up mine was pretty ghetto.

5 minutes ago, tanner30577 said:

Thanks man do you have any ideas for a set up mine was pretty ghetto.

Probably something like

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4kqPvn
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4kqPvn/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($143.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.90 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8GB NITRO+ Video Card  ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($39.49 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $708.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-07 12:11 EDT-0400

which should last a good few years with a RAM upgrade down the line

or if you want something cheap and cheerful now

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MLpzpG
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MLpzpG/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($98.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: *MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($164.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.67 @ Amazon)
Total: $513.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-07 12:13 EDT-0400

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Using an eGPU for gaming is not recommended unless you have a Thunderbolt 3 interface. Even if the laptop has a mini PCIe slot, it's at best a PCIe 2.0 x1 slot. The bandwidth alone will cripple its performance.

thanks for the info

Put simply, it is not worth the hassle.  A newer laptop that can play MC better can be had for ~$200 if you dig around through used/refurb laptops on newegg and amazon.

This is most definitely worth trying if your budget is limited, I added an egpu setup to my thinkpad and now it plays games respectably. Obviously check expectations it's not a bleeding edge setup, But my Unigine Superposition score was multiplied by five(!!) because my machine only had onboard Intel graphics. And that score was with a far less powerful card than yours. Not the one in my signature. If you already have the gpu laying around the cost is super low, literally just the adapter and power. 

My suggestion is to use a Dell DA-2 power brick, its very common with the exp gdc and has a quoted output of up to 220W, it's used for their office desktops. Look it up, that'll be enough for your 670, and they sell for pennies on ebay and the like. As for connectivity, it very much varies between laptop models. For example, my thinkpad is of the era of express cards, so I use that adapter, and external monitors to maximise bandwidth and... Well, they're nice and big  ?

This kind of setup is a little ghetto, but gets results, fast and cheap. @M.Yurizaki everything is relative, if there was Thunderbolt compatibility you'd be using a machine new and or powerful enough to not consider this sort of solution in the first place I suspect. I've not found exact figures but in my experience the bandwidth issue is hardly 'crippling'. 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 2:22 AM, M.Yurizaki said:

Using an eGPU for gaming is not recommended unless you have a Thunderbolt 3 interface. Even if the laptop has a mini PCIe slot, it's at best a PCIe 2.0 x1 slot. The bandwidth alone will cripple its performance.

I thought the m.2 m key connection was the fastest?

Like this one?

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAGHB7U50029&cm_re=Laptop_External_Independent_Video_Card_Dock-_-9SIAGHB7U50029-_-Product

8 hours ago, KevinSturt said:

In laptops that people are usually trying to ghetto upgrade with GPUs there is generally no M.2.

Cool cool.

Do you happen to know the difference between the exp gdc V8.0 & v9.5? The 9.5 has two HDMI ports but for what reason I cannot discover?

2 minutes ago, KevinSturt said:

Cool cool.

Do you happen to know the difference between the exp gdc V8.0 & v9.5? The 9.5 has two HDMI ports but for what reason I cannot discover?

Probably for supporting PCIe 2-4x operation.  In some laptops you can gang two mini PCIe slots or a mPCI slot and expresscard slot for more bandwidth.  It may also be for a PCIe x4 M.2 adapter if you have that type of slot.

More bandwith would be correct. Does the second port replace the usb port? Because I always wondered why that was on there...

M-2-M-PCI-E-Version-PCIe-PCI-E-V9-5-EXP-GDC-Laptop-Docking-Station.jpg

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Why on earth you'd plug a mouse or keyboard into that port is beyond me, but that could simply be personal preference; my laptop sits in it's appropriate lenovo docking station, with all my perihperals(bar monitors) coming out of it.

I use that usb port to power a strip of dOPe Af RgB lighTs  :D When I finish building my enclosure, it'll hide at the bottom and illuminate the card B|

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Hahahha sweet as?

Right now I'm using Mech keyboard, g5 external sound, mouse and I use power outlet USB power for cooling pad and Klim extractor. I've got one free so could use another.... For some pimp RGB lights?

eGPU will just work with your notebook if it's Type-C using Thunder Bolt 3 assistance. It'll be well worth purchasing in the event that you will opt for GTX 1070 or greater for outside images bay.

Look at purchasing a new notebook with GTX 1060 or higher than opting for external images setup, as it's going to not be as cluttered.

^How do you know that without knowing OP's specific laptop model? Most have an appropriate connector somewhere, seeing as it's hinted at being older hardware I doubt it'll bave thunderbolt 3.

Also, to reiterate what I said in a previous post further up...we're most likely dealing with fixing old laptops because OP can't just go out and buy a notebook with a GTX1060 or above. If only things were that simple...and cheap ;) 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Just to mention the comment earlier about eGPU's having 'crippled' performance on anything but Thunderbolt 3; I found the little comparison I did when I first got the eGPU working.

Using Unigine Superposition to benchmark, over ExpressCard, it looks like the card is 15% down on what it would in a desktop. The eGPU test was pushing two monitors when the 'old desktop' test was only outputting one, but this shouldn't have effected scores massively.

The top right machine is not called 'hot rod' for being fast. It's because it was big and bright red :D Obviously having a stronger card it's score will be higher, the comparison is really between the two results on the right.

Isn't the laptop score hilarious

30581310_10155663156291871_1168094185249570816_n.jpg

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

wow that side by side laptop score is impressive. That GPU might be a little meek for that CPU as well? whats with the 1 MHz difference in clock? overclock ? hahhahahahahaha

The fact that is so much slower than a Phenom II speaks volumes about how much of a impact the limited PCIe bandwidth has.

On 23/09/2018 at 2:01 PM, KarathKasun said:

The fact that is so much slower than a Phenom II speaks volumes about how much of a impact the limited PCIe bandwidth has.

Unigine is mainly used as GPU benchmark isn’t it?

6 minutes ago, KevinSturt said:

Unigine is mainly used as GPU benchmark isn’t it?

CPU still impacts performance.  I have a few rigs from that era still, they score lower across the board, even in GPU only tests.