Why does a dual camera work fine even when one is covered?

Why does a dual camera work fine even when I cover one lens? I have tried zooming in and the portrait mode while covering one. The phone is Huawei P20 and I covered the top lens. 

Top one is a 20 megapixel black and white camera for fine details, bottom one is 12 megapixel color camera for everything else. In preview it is most likely only using the color one and later when you take a picture, composite is formed from the two.

On 9/6/2018 at 10:30 PM, Zagna said:

Top one is a 20 megapixel black and white camera for fine details, bottom one is 12 megapixel color camera for everything else. In preview it is most likely only using the color one and later when you take a picture, composite is formed from the two.

Yea but I took a covering the top lens and it turns out fine. Top 1 is with a covered lens and bottom is with no covered lens. 

15364683528037970771391767983578.jpg

15364683720888375189161453549840.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's because when you block the b/w lens it composites nothing with the other image. The one you took with both uncovered looks the same because you have good enough lighting that the single lens can get the details by itself.

And on the first day god said: "Cue one GO" And there was light!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 11:24 PM, purple_rider said:

It's because when you block the b/w lens it composites nothing with the other image. The one you took with both uncovered looks the same because you have good enough lighting that the single lens can get the details by itself.

Can you show me the difference then? 

On 10/16/2018 at 6:05 AM, Timeflies said:

Can you show me the difference then? 

I don't need to, the lighting is good enough that the color camera can still grab details without the help of the higher res b+w camera. There is no difference.

And on the first day god said: "Cue one GO" And there was light!