Watched the LTT video about the Eve V. Bought one. Huge mistake

Wanted a cheaper option than the Surface for work. Bought an Eve V after watching this video:

Final cost: 1700€. Bought it in May, with original shipping estimate in June and I still haven't gotten it. Eve tech is refusing a refund, stating that it's "against policy", despite the EU laws clearly stating that I have a right to get it back after 30 days if they haven't shipped.

But wait, there's more! You can't register an account on their forum atm (probably to keep people like me from complaining). AND EVEN MORE: even though they market themselves as European, their parent company is actually based in Hong Kong, so good fucking luck getting anything out of them.

Yet another example of crowd funded shit not being worth it. If you're looking for a tablet like this, just bite the bullet and buy the established brand.

14 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Can you get the money back through your bank or through some customer protection service?

I'd try this. Call the bank and explain what happened. Maybe drop some hints of fraud (because where the hell is your money going!?). It's not okay to not get a product if you're paying this much 

That's an F in the profile pic

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I'd try this. Call the bank and explain what happened. Maybe drop some hints of fraud (because where the hell is your money going!?). It's not okay to not get a product if you're paying this much 

If he agreed on the Terms there is nothing the bank can do. Only thing he could do is maybe get the European Court involved since EU citizens are protected by the EU Court located in Luxembourg City. He could write an email and ask them what solutions they can offer @QuintupleA

If his contract is with a company is Hong Kong, paid directly to them, with no involvement of a European company, then there's no much any EU court can do about it. They can't make a Hong Kong company pay up, at least not without a ton of difficulty and potentially lots of legal fees. Who knows if Eve Tech even has any money, if its a dodgy company then the money might be long gone. Bank probably won't refund any foreign payments either. This is the main reason why you should buy locally if you think something might not come, at least then you do have legal recourse. When the company is on the other side of the world there's not much that can be done unfortunately.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

2 hours ago, Madgemade said:

If his contract is with a company is Hong Kong, paid directly to them, with no involvement of a European company, then there's no much any EU court can do about it. They can't make a Hong Kong company pay up, at least not without a ton of difficulty and potentially lots of legal fees. Who knows if Eve Tech even has any money, if its a dodgy company then the money might be long gone. Bank probably won't refund any foreign payments either. This is the main reason why you should buy locally if you think something might not come, at least then you do have legal recourse. When the company is on the other side of the world there's not much that can be done unfortunately.

That is not strictly true. In theory, any company that delivers to the EU are bound by EU laws for the transaction. In practice... who is going to care about a small company like that? At least, that's what my rep told me when  I called.

Eve Tech said that the only way for me to get my money back is to return in after it arrives, but assuming it ever does, I doubt I'll get my money back if I do that.

2 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Can you get the money back through your bank or through some customer protection service?

I paid with debit card (stupid, I know) by Paypal. Paypal is not responding to me.

A finale note, Eve said this in an email (really sounds like a serious company):

• As you may know, the key reason for the delay for some of you, is related to issues with our working capital due to funds tied up in different places such as supplier deposits, payment processors, etc.
    • We have been negotiating and working out things, to get more and more Vs shipped, and thus going forward with operations.
    • At the same time, since March this year, we have had 100+ meetings with various investors of different types around the world. We’ve met Venture Capital, Private Equity firms as well as family funds, banks and strategic investors. All this to secure an investment to get all of the units shipped out quickly and to make sure not to end up in the same situation in the future.
    • At all times we have also wanted to keep true to our vision, and not to compromise things by partnering with an organization that does not share our vision. So we have had to let down some offers and possible partnerships.
    • Now we are finally done with this search process and will be able to share great news as soon our announcement is approved. (We follow the NDAs and cannot disclose information prematurely).It takes time because it’s not only 1 investor that is investing in Eve. With them, the future is ours!

Again, learn from my mistakes. Don't by off brands.

46 minutes ago, QuintupleA said:

I paid with debit card (stupid, I know) by Paypal. Paypal is not responding to me.

Ouch. For big value items, always pay by credit card, even if only partially. While I don't know if the rules are the same across Europe, the credit card company would then also have some responsibility.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

13 minutes ago, porina said:

Ouch. For big value items, always pay by credit card, even if only partially. While I don't know if the rules are the same across Europe, the credit card company would then also have some responsibility.

Yeah, that is true in Europe as well. I am 99% sure I would be able to get my money back if I had paid with a credit card. But I had just switched banks and my credit card hadn't arrived yet. Lesson learned :(

1 hour ago, QuintupleA said:

Yeah, that is true in Europe as well. I am 99% sure I would be able to get my money back if I had paid with a credit card. But I had just switched banks and my credit card hadn't arrived yet. Lesson learned :(

You said you used Paypal. They also have a recourse for this. Also seeing you are in the EU then you should still be able to get a refund from paypal. Then paypal could worry about the charge back to EVE.

If you really want a refund you will need to keep contacting and harassing them to return your money according to EU law.