Backpack for DSLR + 14 inch laptop under $100?

m0k

Looking for suggestions for anything relatively clean/minimal  under $100 CAD

Currently looking at the Evecase Shell  but i dont like that the DSLR section is facing behind me, paranoid at how easy it would be for someone to open the bag and take my precious A7iii

im just a little overwhlemed at the options right now, need to take a rest or im going to go mad, i would prefer suggestions on bags that you have personally used - but im still open to suggestions

Thanks in advance

(ps yes i know its a mirrorless...and not a dslr)

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Well just get a pelican case, and some webbing. Its the best case ever.

Now really your going to have a hard time finding something that can do both.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I personally own a Manfrotto Street Backpack (£100 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-Street-Backpack-for-Camera/dp/B0152X9JHY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536200633&sr=8-1&keywords=manfrotto+street) and have absolutely no regrets. The bag is made with some kind of magical material, 5 holidays and two years of constant use later (it comes to school with me every day) and to be honest its really hard to tell its two years old. Yes the compartment for cameras is not massive, but I like that, and the extra space it gives you up top is enough for a decent sized water bottle and a jumper. As far as laptops, well it has a laptop compartment which my VaIO 15" monstrosity from 2013 (admittedly ancient but its still going strong and as I don't have any money to upgrade to something good) fits with room to spare, room that's often taken up by my Acer Chromebook R11 and Hudl 2 (a device no-one will know on here. I doubt) and there is definitely room for a 17" laptop. The bag is comfy and very well padded, and that is probably the reason after two years of school why my camera isn't in pieces.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

I just use a normal backpack with a laptop compartment. I put my camera in it's own smaller camera bag (top loading) which I then put in the backpack. That way I can use the backpack for other purposes. It's also way cheaper, you could spend more money on a nice backpack in general instead of getting a name brand camera specific backpack. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

1 minute ago, DarkEnergy said:

I just use a normal backpack with a laptop compartment. I put my camera in it's own smaller camera bag (top loading) which I then put in the backpack. That way I can use the backpack for other purposes. It's also way cheaper, you could spend more money on a nice backpack in general instead of getting a name brand camera specific backpack. 

what im looking for doesnt have to be name brand. Also the reason why im looking for a backpack designed for cameras in mind is because i want to be able to reach a lens or two at ease without having to necessarily take the bag off every time to reach in and dig around for gear.

I am open to your suggestion, Can you provide me wit ha link to the small bag you use? can it hold a camera body + two lenses?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

22 hours ago, mok said:

what im looking for doesnt have to be name brand. Also the reason why im looking for a backpack designed for cameras in mind is because i want to be able to reach a lens or two at ease without having to necessarily take the bag off every time to reach in and dig around for gear.

I am open to your suggestion, Can you provide me wit ha link to the small bag you use? can it hold a camera body + two lenses?

Sir, while I understand you may not want the expense of a name brand, I implore you to look into the bags that Tenba offers. I have a prior gen Tenba 15 messenger bag, and although it's technically a messenger bag and not a backpack, the DSLR insert works perfectly to store a couple lenses, way too much computer gear, my laptop, power adapters, hard drives, a Nintendo DSi, and a small screwdriver set plus various audio / video cables. Tenba also makes backpacks designed to fit DSLR cameras and laptops, from professional oversized packs down to traditional sized day packs that would be perfect for holding a couple lenses, a laptop, tablet, and maybe some paperwork if needed.

Since you want a bag that has more theft protection in mind but is still easy to access, I'd look at Tenba's Solstice line of bags. The 7L and 10L bags open from the side, which makes getting into it super easy for you, the wearer, but less easy for those behind you. The 20L opens where it rests against your back, which might sound inconvenient, but in practice provides the best theft protection.

You'll be hard pressed to find a quality bag that checks all the boxes for less than $100 CAD, but it'd definitely doable if you watch for sales at third party retailers, such as https://www.vistek.ca/search/?q=solstice or are willing to save up a wee bit more monies. This is absolutely not an advert for Tenba or Vistek - I'm just a happy owner and buyer. To clarify, I was looking at spending around $160 on my Messenger 15 full price, but managed to pick it up from Vistek for $119 CAD plus shipping / taxes, and the shoulder strap is still going strong 4 years later, even with over 20 lbs of crap inside.

https://www.tenba.com/products/solstice-7l-sling-bag-black.aspx

5b90b3ce5efa0_636-421r_alt41.jpg.8d85f3e2584101d6817a2dfbd1e8b0a2.jpg

https://www.tenba.com/products/solstice-10l-sling-bag-black.aspx

5b90b3e71eb91_636-423r_alt41.jpg.15aa175a08c3da2a42470512ab3e54d9.jpg

https://www.tenba.com/products/solstic-20l-backpack-black.aspx

5b90b3fb990db_636-413_alt11.jpg.18f3c571b4a17965de1d7185dfb3f459.jpg

PS/EDIT: @mok if you do decide to pickup any of these newer Tenba bags, please do a full review after using it for a couple weeks, as I'd love to replace my daypack with something smaller than my ancient high-school Swiss Gear backpack.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Altura Photo backpacks on Amazon. They have like 3 sizes of backpacks, I bought the biggest one which I think was $69.99. It held a lot of gear

Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 70-200, Tamron 150-600, Canon 24-70, Sigma 18-35, Rode VideoGo mic, Wireless lav system, Joby grip, 13" macbook pro with room, 9.7" iPad pro, battery grip, camera flash, and a lot of extra batteris. Still had room.