Using a laptop as a desktop

KirbyTech

I have 3 monitors and am planning to set up a ThinkPad T480s as a secondary desktop that I would like to connect to my 2-3 monitors and keyboard. I know for the keyboard I need a KVM but I am stuck on what to do about the monitor situation. Suggestions? All monitors support HDMI with one supporting DisplayPort and another supporting DVI/VGA

Not being familiar with this laptop at all, what ports does it have? Also, does it have thunderbolt? If it does you can use that to interface with the Display Port monitor

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

12 hours ago, limegorilla said:

Not being familiar with this laptop at all, what ports does it have? Also, does it have thunderbolt? If it does you can use that to interface with the Display Port monitor

It had HDMI and USB-C/Thunderbolt for possible display connectors. And just using the displayport monitor isn't an option, I need more screens than that

Thunderbolt can handle two displays over one cable so you can get an adapter for displays one and two then either use your HDMI / USB-C for the third. You will need a multi-display thunderbolt dock however and they are not cheap. That was the only way I could think to do it.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

3 hours ago, limegorilla said:

Thunderbolt can handle two displays over one cable so you can get an adapter for displays one and two then either use your HDMI / USB-C for the third. You will need a multi-display thunderbolt dock however and they are not cheap. That was the only way I could think to do it.

Price isn't so much a factor for me as I am using this setup for my business and the difference of a few $100 or even $1k is not a big deal if it allows me to get more done.

I have reconsidered the ThinkPad (no longer on sale) and going with an XPS 13 which I found a dock for $140 from Dell on Amazon. I am sure there are dongles that are cheaper just maybe not when I have to combine a bunch of them.