Is AMD a Viable Option in 2018??

Ivan M

In April of 2017, AMD blindsided Intel by launching brand-new Ryzen series of processors. How does second-gen Ryzen stack against the competition in 2018?

Buy AMD 2700x on Amazon: http://geni.us/HUYzs
Buy AMD 2700x on Newegg: http://geni.us/K06jM1D
Buy Intel 8700K on Amazon: http://geni.us/FT5C
Buy Intel 8700K on Newegg: http://geni.us/wtXjZR
Buy ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming on Amazon: http://geni.us/Vkqz
Buy ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming on Newegg: http://geni.us/DagCA
Buy ASUS Rog Strix Z370-F gaming on Amazon: http://geni.us/FrLvwK
Buy ASUS Rog Strix Z370-F gaming on Newegg: http://geni.us/FsWBAdF
Buy Coolermaster Hyper 212 on Amazon: http://geni.us/amim
Buy Coolermaster Hyper 212 on Newegg: http://geni.us/OPche

Yes.

(Also nice shoutout to GN. :))

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Yes.

Would like to see Monster Hunter World be added to the gaming CPU benchmark tests. Not out of any particular love for the game, but it's the most insanely multi-threaded, CPU intensive, game I've seen in a while. I know these videos are made long in advance of their release and I'm sorry if I'm jumping the gun on any plans LMG might have for future benchmark comparisons.

Attached is a debug screenshot created by Kaldaien, a mod developer on Steam, displaying the absurd amount of threads running in just the mission hub of the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1475729951

mhw threads screenshot.jpg

viable
ˈvʌɪəb(ə)l/
adjective
  1. capable of working successfully; feasible.
    synonyms:

workable, feasible, practicable, practical, applicable, usable, manageable, operable, operational, possible, within the bounds/realms of possibility, within reach, within reason, likely, achievable, attainable, accomplishable, realizable, reasonable, sensible, realistic, logical, useful, of use, serviceable, suitable, expedient, effective, valid, tenable

i didnt realize that Viable had to be  cost effective to the Nth degree that you cant say out right. "Yes, its Viable"

if your arent running single Threaded games like minecraft, save yourself that 60 dollars with an AMD cpu and buy a game or two. you wont lose much. i can chalk up that 20% lead is optimization. its a hard fact that game devs dont spend as much optimizing their code as adding more content/ DLCs/ fixing Bugs. So for AMD which is still catching up to Intel in market share, there less of an incentive to optimize for AMD.

StoreMi/RST isnt a feature most users look out but its an added bonus.
    Gamers might appreciate the faster load times, but at a certain point, they should have decently large enough ram instead of depending on storage solutions that has the performance benefit that is rated in micro seconds.

14 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

to sum up the video, EVERYTHING, EVERYONE has been saying for the last YEAR and a half (almost) on the "New Builds" section of this forum. Ryzen for Workstations, Intel for Gaming.

But I use Ryzen for gaming....

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

But I use Ryzen for gaming....

and no one said you couldn't, you just aren't getting the maximum FPS that you could get with Intel.

Disclaimer, I have a R7 1700 system AND an i7 6700k system, I use the 6700k for gaming (as that is what I built it for) and the 1700 system I built for work, so I have nothing against either team. I very much enjoy the performance in my work applications of the 1700, all those threads makes it butter smooth.

Just now, Daniel644 said:

and no one said you couldn't, you just aren't getting the maximum FPS that you could get with Intel.

Disclaimer, I have a R7 1700 system AND an i7 6700k system, I use the 6700k for gaming (as that is what I built it for) and the 1700 system I built for work for work, so I have nothing against either team. I very much enjoy the performance in my work applications of the 1700, all those threads makes it butter smooth.

Yep, I've got the R7 2700X. I do have a rig I'm flipping rn though with an 8600K and it is super nice for gaming, but not that much of an improvement over my Ryzen (neither was the 8700K that was in that rig before, and both rigs have the same GPU). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

HEADLINE !

Intel better for gaming over AMD !

in Other news !

Water .. wet !

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

33 minutes ago, Rotharn said:

Would like to see Monster Hunter World be added to the gaming CPU benchmark tests. Not out of any particular love for the game, but it's the most insanely multi-threaded, CPU intensive, game I've seen in a while. I know these videos are made long in advance of their release and I'm sorry if I'm jumping the gun on any plans LMG might have for future benchmark comparisons.

Attached is a debug screenshot created by Kaldaien, a mod developer on Steam, displaying the absurd amount of threads running in just the mission hub of the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1475729951

mhw threads screenshot.jpg

MHW is an unoptimised mess though.

Im MH fan, played most games since MHFU , even the Jap ones, I play MHW, but its the only game i got atm that my 780 cant maintain 60 FPS at 1080p. MHW is a sh*tshow in regards to optimisation. Not to mention bugs. AND it even uses dynamic resolution scaling and variable LOD settings in 3/4 stock graphic profiles in an attempt to keep FPS high by lowering resolution below native ( yes below 1080p on a PC) and decrease culling distance and object detail also.

Dont get me wrong the game is great, the port most certainly is NOT. So it isnt the best idea to use it as a benchmark imo.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

21 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

Disclaimer, I have a R7 1700 system AND an i7 6700k system, I use the 6700k for gaming (as that is what I built it for) and the 1700 system I built for work for work, so I have nothing against either team. I very much enjoy the performance in my work applications of the 1700, all those threads makes it butter smooth.

Well max fps is nice but for me it would make not really difference, i game at 1080p60, both CPU's can do that just fine. It's nice the intel one can do 120 and the amd can "only" do 90 (just random numbers) but, both are higher than 60, i would be fine with both, i'm not going to notice the higher fps the intel gives me.

I pick a cpu not only on workload but on fps and resolution i will game at. Same goes for GPU's, a 1080ti is nice but wtf is the point of it if you play at 1080p60, 1060/1070 is perfectly fine.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

There’s 2 elephants waiting in that room over there 

Intel’s 9th gen CPUs and AMD’s 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs

Would be interesting to see whether or not they gain in their weakest areas

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

to sum up the video, EVERYTHING, EVERYONE has been saying for the last YEAR and a half (almost) on the "New Builds" section of this forum. Ryzen for Workstations, Intel for Gaming.

AMD products are great for gaming. In a small minority of situations, some Intel customers can expect a marginal performance improvement in certain unoptimized workloads.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just wondering if you could repeat the tests running the same clock speeds for ram and cpu MHz?   Would that affect the results? 

Wow this video really rubbed me the wrong way.  As an owner of a Ryzen 1700 @3.9ghz I'm left scratching my head as to why Linus is so incredibly cheap.

"Pre-Soaking my toothbrush so I can get a lot more mileage out of them".

Living that peasant lifestyle, eh, Linus?

EDIT:  Yes.  I made an account just to post this.

Edited by BrokenBladez
raison d'etre

the click bait is getting worse. of course it is....

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

For people who are sticker shocked by this, I don't know what rock you been living under. 

Is Ryzen bad for gaming? No it isn't. Is Intel bad for multitasking or heavy workloads or steaming? No it isn't. Can both do games and workloads? YES they can. 

The fact that people need to feel validated that their purchase is the best seems to be the most disturbing. It is almost a cult lol

Maybe you shouldn't have gone with ASUS? Because my X370-F Strix Gaming consumes ~20W more under load than the BIOSTAR X370GT7 I had before and the MSI B450I Gaming I have now. And ~10-15W More in Idle...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I just bought a ryzen 2600 and I went from being cpu bottlenecked in bf1 to it running at 50% with no bottleneck.

Very satisfied.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Really sad to see cities skylines miss out on the gaming benchmarks. It's a well defined CPU bound game that has at least some multithreaded optimisation, it's a top 50 steam game for the past three years, and currently the community is more toxic than most with everyone having an opinion on what's best (the prevailing being Intel is just "better for gaming" despite not every game having the same workload.) Real benchmarks with no bottlenecks (might need 64gb ram to avoid bottlenecking there) would go a really long way in that community, where the difficulty to run the game and its dedicated fan base sees MANY people building dedicated rigs custom optimised to run it. And with the misinformation out there as to what happens with cities skylines, a lot of people are getting the wrong deal. 

One graph would be great. A number would be better. Please let me know if this is something you'd consider expanding upon LMG. 

3 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Would be interesting to see whether or not they gain in their weakest areas

AMD needs clockspeed, with a small IPC bump and maybe slightly better memory controllers but ryzen 2nd gen helped a lot with that.

We know intel at all but the high end of desktop will lose hyperthreading which makes me wonder why by the 9th gen i7 if its just 8 core if you could get 8th with 6 cores and hyperthreading its going to be a weird time. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

15 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

AMD needs clockspeed, with a small IPC bump and maybe slightly better memory controllers but ryzen 2nd gen helped a lot with that.

Rumor has it that IPC-wise, Zen 2 is about 10-15% better than Zen+

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, eaglejonno said:

Just wondering if you could repeat the tests running the same clock speeds for ram and cpu MHz?   Would that affect the results? 

WHY would you limit one CPU just to benefit the other for comparison that would be like racing a Supercar against a Civic but telling the Supercar driver he's not allowed to shift past 3rd gear or rev over 3k RPM.

Ryzen sees better gains from Higher Clocked RAM at a much better rate then Intel does and Intel is flat out capable of a much higher core clock, you would either have to gimp Ryzen with crappy ram or gimp Intel with a crappy clockspeed, at which point they would both be functionally the same product due to having nearly identical IPC's.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

AMD products are great for gaming. In a small minority of situations, some Intel customers can expect a marginal performance improvement in certain unoptimized workloads.

"small minority" for RAW GAMING Intel wins 95 times out of a 100 on the FPS count, now that does shift if you are both gaming and streaming from the same machine, then Ryzens higher core count helps significantly, Ryzen is the smarter buy no doubt, especially if you can get your hands on a heavily discounted first gen Ryzen, I picked up my 1700 for 200 bucks at Microcenter back around March, but facts are facts and Linus's video just confirms yet again what has been seen time and time again.