Floatplane payments are migrating! Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AlinS91

Laptop water cooling

Posted · Original PosterOP

What about printing a plastic tub that the laptop sits in that is double walled with a thin aluminum bed that the laptop sits on as cooled water is pumped through the assembly. 

This thread is a resurrection of an old thread. 

You could do that, yes. Or, you could buy a laptop that has good cooling to start with, so you can't addicentally flood it with water.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X MSI X370 Gaming Plus 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 - GTX1070Ti FE 600p 256GB & M550 512GB & 860 Evo 500GB Fractal Define R5 CM V550 W8.1 Pro

So you're saying just set the laptop on top of an aluminum box that's full of water?

Desktop: Xeon 1231-v3, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Rosewill 550w Capstone PSU, ASrock ITX Z97 board, Gigabyte 970, Phanteks Evolv ITX.

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel

Laptop: Eluktronics W650kk1, i7 7700K, 8GB DDR4, GTX 1050Ti, 500GB WD SSD, 120Hz Asus Display

Laptop: Alienware 18 (2014). I7 4930MX @ 4.1GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB 840Evo, 1TB HDD, GTX 980m 8GB

Laptop: Razer Blade 14 mid 2016. I7 6700hq, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 970m 6GB.

Laptop: Origin Eon11s. i7 3820QM, GT 650M 2GB, 120GB SSD, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 11.6in 768p display

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

So you're saying just set the laptop on top of an aluminum box that's full of water?

But the water in the box is being pumped through a regular cooling setup Sewell as I understand it. So basically the box is like the waterblock in this scenario. And the loop could be something like ; res-pump-waterbox-radiator-res

X399M Taichi - 1920X - Titan X Pascal - GTX 1070 FE - Dominator Plats SE Contrast - InWin 301 - EVGA 850 G2 - Full Custom Watercooling

BlackMac buildlog Toasty Buildlog 60% Keyboard Buildlog

HIgh TDP, Low volume.

Would only work for Macbooks, and you'd likely have to take off the feet so it's flush

If I'm honest I spend more time playing with the hardware than I do playing on the hardware

-Rig Specs in Profile

i don't understand the fascination with sitting your laptop into a pool of fluid.  you would be much better off i think getting some sort of custom  cold plate block ( an aluminum block with channels in it that house a tube that passes cooler fluid to chill the entire solid block.)

but then at that point you'd be making a large investment into making a portable piece of hardware more or less stationary (if you needed that cooling performance)

At least if you did it the way I am thinking you wouldn't have to deal with filling the ports/ potential short locations to avoid contact with the bath you sit your laptop into.

The  video (like half of the video's Linus puts out)   seems to be for the shear shiggles of it.   which for the most part are interesting to watch something happen with out risking your own hardware/money  if it doesn't work out. or fails after a while  and water some how shorts your laptop.

But to each their own, swimming laptops for all (in the future)

EDIT___EDIT

-Upon re-reading i realized you are suggesting almost what i recommended.  This is a much more practical idea than a straight water bath.  And probably the best way to go about this, if you cant just get a laptop with better cooling performance.