What backup drive should I get?

Favebook
Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,

for just static backup / non moving hdd, just buy regular naked hdd and a usb to sata adapter.

get a hitachi hdd for their proven durability.

don't buy external storage for their brand name, usually inside is the same, use either of this hdd maker : toshiba, hitachi, wdigital, seagate.

Firstly, I would like to start by saying that I read this article and it was very helpful: What Drive Should I Get? A Guide to the Mechanical HD Market.

But even after reading it, I am still unsure what HDD would be best suited for my need. I currently have Transcend Military Drop Tested 2 TB USB 3.0 as my backup drive and I am using it for storing my backups and system images as well as movies and series which fastly use up all of it's storage capacity. Therefore, I am now looking for a solution of 6TB or above (preferably 10TB HDD) but I am really in big dilemma what kind of HDD should I get.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

the big question is are you just looking for a single drive to backup to again or do you want a NAS with a redundant setup to use as a backup destination?

it would be easy to get a single 10TB HDD and which one you get does not matter at all but it doesnt sound like its the right thing for you.

for just static backup / non moving hdd, just buy regular naked hdd and a usb to sata adapter.

don't buy external storage for their brand name, usually inside is the same, use either of this hdd maker : toshiba, hitachi, wdigital, seagate.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

12 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

That's pretty ghetto, though. Enclosures are super cheap and a bit more elegant. Also less prone to sudden disconnects and whatnot. 

Which brand to get is a matter of luck of the draw. All harddisk manufacturers have had bad batches of drives and firmware bugs. HGST drives aren't less prone to failure than a Toshiba, Seagate or WD drive.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

That's pretty ghetto, though. Enclosures are super cheap and a bit more elegant. Also less prone to sudden disconnects and whatnot. 

Which brand to get is a matter of luck of the draw. All harddisk manufacturers have had bad batches of drives and firmware bugs. HGST drives aren't less prone to failure than a Toshiba, Seagate or WD drive.

yeah ofcourse they have bad batches, but statiscally speaking hgst is fewer than seagate.

Ghetto but works, if youre concern is to backup, why the need of casing? Copy the file and store it in your drawer.

If redundancy is your concern,then a nas enclosure would be practical.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, Pixel5 said:

the big question is are you just looking for a single drive to backup to again or do you want a NAS with a redundant setup to use as a backup destination?

it would be easy to get a single 10TB HDD and which one you get does not matter at all but it doesnt sound like its the right thing for you.

I haven't really ever informed about NAS and this is the first time I hearing of it, so I am not sure which one is better for me. 

And the data that I will be backuping is as I said are system images,system backups and File History and I will be storing (and watching) movies as well as series (which do casually go above 1-2TB).

All the programs and games I am using are on my SSD and even if it ever fails, there is nothing that important that I can lose. But big collection of movies and series as well as some small documents are currently being saved on my external HDD so I never lose them.

52 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yeah, that is what I thought, but there is really a lot of different types of HDD (usually labeled by color) and I am still unsure which one would be best for me as I watch movies directly, does the speed of reading information from HDD have any effect on watch and also, prices... They are like Earth and sky apart for some brands with exactly the same capacity. Is that difference only determined by write/read speeds or is there anything else I should worry about?

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

5 minutes ago, Favebook said:

I haven't really ever informed about NAS and this is the first time I hearing of it, so I am not sure which one is better for me. 

And the data that I will be backuping is as I said are system images,system backups and File History and I will be storing (and watching) movies as well as series (which do casually go above 1-2TB).

All the programs and games I am using are on my SSD and even if it ever fails, there is nothing that important that I can lose. But big collection of movies and series as well as some small documents are currently being saved on my external HDD so I never lose them.

Yeah, that is what I thought, but there is really a lot of different types of HDD (usually labeled by color) and I am still unsure which one would be best for me as I watch movies directly, does the speed of reading information from HDD have any effect on watch and also, prices... They are like Earth and sky apart for some brands with exactly the same capacity. Is that difference only determined by write/read speeds or is there anything else I should worry about?

that's why i suggesting a bare naked hdd than factory build external drive.

different brand different price, but internally use the same bare hdd.

the read and write usually the same according to the max speed of the bare hdd.