Gainward 1080 Buying tip

Favebook
Go to solution Solved by userzero,

Very nice.

Yes I think a 1080Ti would be a very wise choice here. I don't think you'd regret that.

Hello everyone,

I was offered an used Gainward GTX 1080 8GB Phoenix Golden Sample for 390 euro and I just want a community tip about it.

Firstly, I never had any experience with Gainward and on internet I cannot find many of them for sale, also in our country there is like one shop which sells 1080 Ti Gainward and the price is drastically lower than other 1080 Ti's.

Secondly, I usually do not do anything on impulse but this seems like a great offer so I just want to see what your opinions are.

Thanks in advance.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

Gainward are absolutely fine.

If offered a cheap card, it has usually been used for mining.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

2 minutes ago, userzero said:

Gainward are absolutely fine.

If offered a cheap card, it has usually been used for mining.

I have a mining rig myself too, but I am currently in search of 1080/1080 Ti for my gaming rig. And I think that might be better put to mining than for my gaming rig. What do you think?

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Well it depends on the rest of that gaming system, the monitor you are using, the games you are playing, and what you are hoping to achieve.

3 minutes ago, userzero said:

Well it depends on the rest of that gaming system, the monitor you are using, the games you are playing, and what you are hoping to achieve.

Well considering that this is my gaming setup right now:

Mobo: Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Processor

GPU: PowerColor Red Devil Radeon™ RX 580 8GB 

RAM: VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz

I think that 1080 Ti would be a better long-term solution as I built this system to be ready for high-end games currently and to last for years after as at least mid-range gaming setup.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

Very nice.

Yes I think a 1080Ti would be a very wise choice here. I don't think you'd regret that.

Just now, userzero said:

Very nice.

Alrighty, thanks a lot. :)

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

Best of luck. Hope you are driving at least a 1440p 144hz panel with all that lovely gear :)

I have a Gainward 1080 Phoenix and the blue channel on one side of the LED panel died after about 15 months and i do not want to get it RMAd because they only RMA through reseller but send in to Gainward which will be 3 weeks or longer  - for a fucking LED panel i would be comfortable installing myself.

Otherwiese I am really happy with it. Gainward and Palit have recently become one but continue to sell different looking cooler shrouds with mostly identical heatsinks.

The cooler is huge and quiet. Best noise/performance on any 1080. Admittetly the card is atrociously ugly though.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

13 minutes ago, userzero said:

Best of luck. Hope you are driving at least a 1440p 144hz panel with all that lovely gear :)

Haven't yet bought a good monitor. Using the same one I used for previous rig (that I built in 2015 for around 500e)... LG IPS Monitor 24MP57VQ

2 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

I have a Gainward 1080 Phoenix and the blue channel on one side of the LED panel died after about 15 months and i do not want to get it RMAd because they only RMA through reseller but send in to Gainward which will be 3 weeks or longer  - for a fucking LED panel i would be comfortable installing myself.

Otherwiese I am really happy with it. Gainward and Palit have recently become one but continue to sell different looking cooler shrouds with mostly identical heatsinks.

The cooler is huge and quiet. Best noise/performance on any 1080. Admittetly the card is atrociously ugly though.

Thank you for the info. And you are absolutely right, outside design of it is unbearable but I will put it to use anyway. If I use it in my mining rig, I will not look at it anyway, and if I end up using it in my gaming rig for some time, I will probably go with the water cooling which means the fans (therefore, the design) will be of no use to me anyway as it will get replaced with a few hardline tubes. :)

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats