Note 9 or Wait?

Jon Jon

I am itching for a new phone.

Now that my One Plus 3 is nearing two years old and I have paid off my current PC, it's time to upgrade my phone.

I can do the Jump plan through T-Mobile with the Note 9, and then just upgrade whenever and essentially lease my phone, or hold out for the Pixel 3 XL.

There are other phones on the horizon too, but i just have that itch.

What do you guys recommend? This is an open ended discussion, so i am all ears!

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

9 hours ago, Jon Jon said:

I am itching for a new phone.

Now that my One Plus 3 is nearing two years old and I have paid off my current PC, it's time to upgrade my phone.

I can do the Jump plan through T-Mobile with the Note 9, and then just upgrade whenever and essentially lease my phone, or hold out for the Pixel 3 XL.

There are other phones on the horizon too, but i just have that itch.

What do you guys recommend? This is an open ended discussion, so i am all ears!

I tend to wait until I see something I really like, or my phone goes to shit. My last phone the LG G3 started going to shit, thats when I made my decsion. To me if the current phone still works and does what you need, Id wait, no harm in that. If your current phone doesnt do what you need or have issues, then Id upgrade. 

Id look at the One Plus 6 to be honest. Im really happy with my One Plus 3T, the only negative about the One Plus 6 is the price, the price is what drove me to the One Plus 3t. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Not much new phones to expect this year. Specwise is pretty much same, S845 everywhere.

May be Pixel or V40 coming out though, see rumors. 

take a look at pocophone F1 for its price

10 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I tend to wait until I see something I really like, or my phone goes to shit. My last phone the LG G3 started going to shit, thats when I made my decsion. To me if the current phone still works and does what you need, Id wait, no harm in that. If your current phone doesnt do what you need or have issues, then Id upgrade. 

Id look at the One Plus 6 to be honest. Im really happy with my One Plus 3T, the only negative about the One Plus 6 is the price, the price is what drove me to the One Plus 3t. 

I normally get the itch by the end of year 2 with any smartphone I own.

Plus, even with factory resets, my One Plus 3 is showing its age in terms of multitasking and doing the things I need it to.

I don't believe us 3/3t owners will be getting Android P either.

I just think it's time.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Don't consider the OnePlus 6, they're already working on a 6T. I'd wait until the fall. See how the Huawei Mate20 shapes up. Nokia is rumored to be working on a phone with 5 rear camera sensors, if photography interests you at all. IMO the Pixel 3XL is ugly as sin and they shouldn't be rewarded with that poor design choice with money, but each to their own. Black Friday will also likely bring some killer sales, so that's when I'd purchase. By then all of this year's phones should be out. 

On 9/4/2018 at 8:45 PM, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Not much new phones to expect this year. Specwise is pretty much same, S845 everywhere.

May be Pixel or V40 coming out though, see rumors. 

take a look at pocophone F1 for its price

The Pocophone likely doesn't support the bands he'd need, and wouldn't be at the level of quality if he's considering something like the Note. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I own a note 9 and it is f*****g spectacular. It is the best phone you can buy with absolutely no compromises. I have no negatives about it 

11 hours ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

I own a note 9 and it is f*****g spectacular. It is the best phone you can buy with absolutely no compromises. I have no negatives about it 

And how much did you pay for it?

I'd also be tempted to see if the new 2018 Android One phones come out decent (like the Motorola One Power or other makers). 

If you're into crazy detail camera stuff the Red Hydrogen One phone should be coming out soon (one would hope)  Also maybe a couple new gaming phone options this year since so far Asus and Xiaomi have a competitor with the Razer Phone and the Razer Phone 2 is around the corner.

Lots of fun to pick from, but of course, if none of that sounds worth the wait it certainly sounds like the Note 9 is a worthy upgrade if you don't mind that horrid (IMHO) touch-wiz.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, Radioactive Snowman said:

I have a OnePlus6 , had the S9+, iPhoneX, Pixel 2 XL all in the last 6 months.  I have the Note9 now.  Agreed.  Very solid phone with no issues yet.  I've had it since 8/23 or so (pre-order).

Some notes some might find useful from someone who's owned most recent flagships...

s9+ - No stylus.  Yep, I'm one of the weirdos that uses it on occasion.  Screen had grainy blacks even after firmware update.  No PIP as the device was 8.0.

iPhoneX - Really didn't like Apple's notch implementation.  Couldn't do without PIP like I get with Android 8.1.

Pixel XL 2 - Screen colors were difficult to deal with.  I also wanted to offload this before the oleo coating wore off on the screen.  (google it)

OP6 - Software still feels unfinished.  Was missing a few quality of life things that the Samsung software has.  Speed is unreal, though.  Camera was also a bit of a compromise compared to the note9 or Pixel2xl.

Also took a trippy trip to Huawei with the mate 10 pro.  Software was subpar.  Hardware seemed fine, though.

Why buy a note 9? It’s exactly the same as the 8 which in turn is a slightly less explodey 7. The S9+ is pretty much the same phone for less and the new iPhones are out next month with the XS being the same as the note 9 in price for a significantly better product and the XR being the same as the XS but without the hassle (and price) of being OLED. 

If you hate Apple and want the latest and greatest wait for the Pixel/S10. If that doesn’t matter get a S9+.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

17 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Why buy a note 9? It’s exactly the same as the 8 which in turn is a slightly less explodey 7. The S9+ is pretty much the same phone for less and the new iPhones are out next month with the XS being the same as the note 9 in price for a significantly better product and the XR being the same as the XS but without the hassle (and price) of being OLED. 

If you hate Apple and want the latest and greatest wait for the Pixel/S10. If that doesn’t matter get a S9+.

The Note9 has a far better battery than the Note8 (and somewhat better than the S9+).  The screen is a bit different and while I'm not big on samsung phones, it is in small ways not the same as the S9+. 

All that being said, I like un-spoiled Android too much so my next phone is probably another notch-less Pixel.

11 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

The Note9 has a far better battery than the Note8 (and somewhat better than the S9+).  The screen is a bit different and while I'm not big on samsung phones, it is in small ways not the same as the S9+. 

All that being said, I like un-spoiled Android too much so my next phone is probably another notch-less Pixel.

It’s not far better and the 8 has a day and a bit battery anyway. Samsung’s screens won’t improve until they sort out their colour calibration (says something the Apple screen made by Samsung looks better than Samsung’s own panels).

It has the S pen and it’s 0.2” bigger. Nothing that would want you to spend an extra 200-300 on. 

I get the reason people like android but personally I’ll probably stick with Apple, not because I’ve invested into it or anything (I’ve spent a grand total of £50 on the AppStore/iTunes) but because android handsets don’t get updates fast enough and they seem to be in a gimmick war, from squeezable phones and curved screens to 3 cameras and smartscroll. 

Plus apple handsets generally have a longer life. I’ve had 2 handed down to me that lasted 3 years each after I got them with iOS versions and now I have the SE that probably has until at least iOS 14. The S5 was released in 2014 and had 18 months of support. The iPhone 5s was released in 2013 and is getting iOS 12 this month. 

11 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

It’s not far better and the 8 has a day and a bit battery anyway. Samsung’s screens won’t improve until they sort out their colour calibration (says something the Apple screen made by Samsung looks better than Samsung’s own panels).

It has the S pen and it’s 0.2” bigger. Nothing that would want you to spend an extra 200-300 on. 

I get the reason people like android but personally I’ll probably stick with Apple, not because I’ve invested into it or anything (I’ve spent a grand total of £50 on the AppStore/iTunes) but because android handsets don’t get updates fast enough and they seem to be in a gimmick war, from squeezable phones and curved screens to 3 cameras and smartscroll. 

Plus apple handsets generally have a longer life. I’ve had 2 handed down to me that lasted 3 years each after I got them with iOS versions and now I have the SE that probably has until at least iOS 14. The S5 was released in 2014 and had 18 months of support. The iPhone 5s was released in 2013 and is getting iOS 12 this month. 

Some exceptions to note:

-Measuring the idea of a phone's battery in days (and "a bit") is highly subjective (i.e. - not valid), all while challenging my use of the phrase "far better" ; it is a fact the battery is bigger by 700 mah which does matter

-I was referring to the bezel-size around the screen not the panel size, but admitely wasn't clear on that, I agree that I wouldn't spend that much more on that alone, but it is different

-As for the issue of Androids not getting updates, this is true of many companies right now (especially Samsung) but that's why I mentioned the Pixel line, you get updates.  Period.

-The Pixel XL is also a good example where Google didn't go ham on gimmicks (no curved screen, 3 cameras, or squeezy-sides (even if it was made by HTC), etc).  I'll admit they did more or less mega-copy the appearance and length/width of the iPhone 7 Plus , but one could do worse.

-Longer Life, this to me is another subjective term.  I see you've made it about updates as mentioned above.  I would say that the wear of the phone battery over time is a more major consideration with phone aging more so than updates from the maker; and it all depends on use and use-case.  The poor android update track record is again a factor of lazy android makers who don't maintain the standard set by Apple and I agree it's shoddy.  Google is the android standard-bearer on proper updates (Nexus, then Pixel line), followed by Essential Phone, OnePlus, and select others who are now doing a great job shaming Samsung on their crap support-lifecycle.  In terms of update-cycle expiration the Nexus series of phones among other androids enjoyed a very fruitful lifespan, especially taking into account extra ROM support from XDA Dev and others; for those who don't mind loading a non-factory ROM.

17 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Some exceptions to note:

-Measuring the idea of a phone's battery in days (and "a bit") is highly subjective (i.e. - not valid), all while challenging my use of the phrase "far better" ; it is a fact the battery is bigger by 700 mah which does matter

-I was referring to the bezel-size around the screen not the panel size, but admitely wasn't clear on that, I agree that I wouldn't spend that much more on that alone, but it is different

-As for the issue of Androids not getting updates, this is true of many companies right now (especially Samsung) but that's why I mentioned the Pixel line, you get updates.  Period.

-The Pixel XL is also a good example where Google didn't go ham on gimmicks (no curved screen, 3 cameras, or squeezy-sides (even if it was made by HTC), etc).  I'll admit they did more or less mega-copy the appearance and length/width of the iPhone 7 Plus , but one could do worse.

-Longer Life, this to me is another subjective term.  I see you've made it about updates as mentioned above.  I would say that the wear of the phone battery over time is a more major consideration with phone aging more so than updates from the maker; and it all depends on use and use-case.  The poor android update track record is again a factor of lazy android makers who don't maintain the standard set by Apple and I agree it's shoddy.  Google is the android standard-bearer on proper updates (Nexus, then Pixel line), followed by Essential Phone, OnePlus, and select others who are now doing a great job shaming Samsung on their crap support-lifecycle.  In terms of update-cycle expiration the Nexus series of phones among other androids enjoyed a very fruitful lifespan, especially taking into account extra ROM support from XDA Dev and others; for those who don't mind loading a non-factory ROM.

Measuring it in MaH when it has different specs is erroneous. If your battery is 20% large but your phone is 50% more power hungry you’ve actually lost battery performance.

The Nexus line (which is what was rebranded as the Pixel) hasn’t got updates in a timely manner. The 5X only got 3 years. I’d be surprised if the original Pixel gets the next android build for a while if at all. I think a lot of android phone makers have the assumption that people upgrade phones every 2 years so don’t really bother after that which really damages them as a used phone, sure they’re dirt cheap and don’t hold value well but they’re just out of date. 

Have to admit I it I really liked the essential phone; pity it didn’t sell well seemed like they got things right and that ceramic back looked great. 

Personally I still see very little point to the note 9. I don’t think you get enough for the price hike and now it’s up against the Iphone XS which has better tech and a better screen along with the Pixel soon which will be cheaper with pretty much the same specs and as you said a much better support period. I just think the + line has cannibalised the note line and they should get rid of the + or stick the pen in the + and retire the note. Would probably have been the wisest move after the Note 7 blew up in their faces.