LOSING MY MIND WITH i7-2600

MalfurionStormrage
Go to solution Solved by Jurrunio,

I think you havent tightened the cooler down enough.

As for the buying 2600k part, why? Keep your money instead, not worth it.

I'm seriously on the edge to just throw my Cryorig H7 out the god damned window.

I've installed it 5 times and tried 5 different pastes... 

and still my i7-2600 idles at 40/50c (hwmonitor shows 50c at one moment, then 40c later...) and in-game I can hit upward of 85C!!!

What can I POSSIBLY BE DOING WRONG...

Please help me save my Cryorig and my window.

Replace the cooler. You'd have thought you would have realised that after re-pasting once!

If it is still doing it on a new/spare cooler, you have a CPU problem.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

Just now, userzero said:

Replace the cooler. You'd have thought you would have realised that after re-pasting once!

I think it's a CPU problem. Stock and this cooler work the same.

And it's a new cooler so it's not that.

Chuck another CPU in that board and try your coolers again. That'd be the next step. Just go for the cheapest piece of rubbish CPU and see how it performs :)

Just now, userzero said:

Chuck another CPU in that board and try your coolers again. That'd be the next step. Just go for the cheapest piece of rubbish CPU and see how it performs :)

I'm wanting to bet it's a CPU problem... might honestly replace the whole system, but RAM prices are huge so we'll see. Might just get a 3770/4770 tbh lol.

If you have the requirement to overclock then sure. My daily driver currently is a 3770 with a GTX1080, don't think there's anything it can't handle generally.

I was also thinking of 3770k because I have 16GB RAM @ 1666, also the Cryorig. I'll most likely be getting that and just hitting the max OC possible.

Well again, if you have the need to overclock (I have no interest in it) then yes an unlocked chip is the only way to go..

4 minutes ago, MalfurionStormrage said:

I was also thinking of 3770k because I have 16GB RAM @ 1666, also the Cryorig. I'll most likely be getting that and just hitting the max OC possible.

Get a 4770k or 4790k and oc the living daylights out of it. Mine runs at 4.4 Ghz and I havent been in a situation once where I wished for more raw cpu power, since I got it in 2013.

24 minutes ago, userzero said:

They Cryorig H7 is a good cooler... no need to replace it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

They Cryorig H7 is a good cooler... no need to replace it. 

Yeah we've got past that cheers.

I think you havent tightened the cooler down enough.

As for the buying 2600k part, why? Keep your money instead, not worth it.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

You'd hope he'd have worked that one out...

16 minutes ago, userzero said:

Well again, if you have the need to overclock (I have no interest in it) then yes an unlocked multiplier is the only way to go..

False, sandy bridge "locked" chips allow you to raise the multiplier. K chips simply have a higher limit for it. The 2600 can go up to a 42x multiplier, enough for a decent overclock.

19 minutes ago, MalfurionStormrage said:

Definitely don't spend money on a cpu that is only 5% faster.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, userzero said:

Thanks for being pedantic but I was merely stating you need a K chip to overclock.

And I was stating that you are wrong. I don't see how that's being pedantic.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Definitely don't spend money on a cpu that is only 5% faster.

I'm mainly changing it because these temps aren't normal and also I want to OC. Don't really have money for a 6th gen unlocked tho

@Sauron can't OC non-K on my current board.

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

And I was stating that you are wrong.

2 minutes ago, MalfurionStormrage said:

I'm mainly changing it because these temps aren't normal and also I want to OC. Don't really have money for a 6th gen unlocked tho

@Sauron can't OC non-K on my current board.

What motherboard is that? You can overclock sandy non-k chips on the same motherboards where you can overclock k chips.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

What motherboard is that? You can overclock sandy non-k chips on the same motherboards where you can overclock k chips.

I'll need to get a K mobo, current one is a generic H61

10 minutes ago, MalfurionStormrage said:

I'll need to get a K mobo, current one is a generic H61

With an h61 you couldn't overclock a k chip either. For that you need a p67, z68 or z77 board. Either way the cpu itself has nothing to do with the temperature problems you're having. Check the bios to make sure it's not running your fans in "silent mode" or anything like that.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

19 minutes ago, Sauron said:

False, sandy bridge "locked" chips allow you to raise the multiplier. K chips simply have a higher limit for it. The 2600 can go up to a 42x multiplier, enough for a decent overclock.

Wow I didn't know that. On the other hand I've never really dealt with regular Sandy Bridge in any way, but thats pretty cool. So for gamers there wasn't any incentive to buy a K-type chip in that generation, huh? I mean a 4.2Ghz quad-core was pretty much enough for every game back then. I wouldn't know, because back then I played vidya gaems on a Dell Inspiron Laptop in 720p low settings.

1 minute ago, black0utm1rage said:

Wow I didn't know that. On the other hand I've never really dealt with regular Sandy Bridge in any way, but thats pretty cool. So for gamers there wasn't any incentive to buy a K-type chip in that generation, huh? I mean a 4.2Ghz quad-core were pretty much enough for every game back then. I wouldn't know, because back then I played vidya gaems on a Dell Inspiron Laptop in 720p low settings.

Yeah, that's why in later generations Intel completely locked non k chips and gave them a lower base speed.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yeah, that's why in later generations Intel completely locked non k chips and gave them a lower base speed.

DAMNATION UPON YOU, INTEL!!!