Amp + Speakers for Record Player

RumSwift

Hey,

Looking to get some speakers and an amp for a record player, but again have no idea whats good and what's not so good. Wondering if anyone could help.

Looking to spend around £200 to £250 on the amp and £200 to £300 on speakers.

All I'm asking is that the AMP has Bluetooth so it can be connected to a phone for Spotify etc... 

Thanks kindly.

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

This all depends on the "Record Player" (Turntable) you have as there is little point in acquiring a high quality amp for a low quality "Record Player" (turntable?).,

So, what "Record Player" is it (make/model) and secondly, doee it have a Ground wire to connect to the case of an amp?

There are two ways to do this....

"Record Player" to a standard amp, then from standard amp, via a line level converter, to a Blutooth amp.

Alternative line level converter

Simple enough if you know how ;)

As for speakers, that will depend entirely on the amp, but for best quality, you will need a speaker pair that consist of each speaker having a low range, mid-range and a tweeter speakers to get the best from the audio.

As an aside, I run a line level adjuster to run a two-amp Technics stack stereo valued at near 2K. Each amp alone is valued at neaqr £300 so I did a LOT of research before acquiring and installing a line level converter and I know for a fact it works fine. I would not risk a potential bill for a new amp hence the line level converter, and those that I listed above DO WORK and wirthout issue.

Instructions ? WHAT?!?!?! A man don't need instructions!       Oh............wait a minute...........................What's this bit for?  aaaaaagh!!
Vita imitatur artem, imitantur vitae
Lenovo M73 10AXS38G00 i7 4785T 2.20GHz, 16GB Ram, WD Black2 1.2TB Dual Drive, W7 64bit Ultimate, Lightscribe mulit-write Optical.
Lenovo M73 10AXS06G02 G3220T 2.6Ghz, 6GB RAM, 320GB HDD, W7U, Stock DVD Optical
Lenovo T420 42369N8, i5 2520M 2.5/3.2GHz, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD (iOS 10.13.6 High Sierra), 750GB WD HDD (W7 Ultimate) Dual Boot, Lightscribe mulit-write Optical.
Lenovo L412 4403CT0, i5 520M, 2.4Ghz, 6GB RAM, 320GB HDD Win7 Ultimate Stock DVD Optical.
Custom (re)Build Tower (WIP). Asus Prime B350 Plus Mobo, GTX 960 GPU, Custom MOD Watercooling, Gamemax Falcon Case (two windowed side panels), RGB fans, dual rad CPU loop with 240 & 280 Rads, 120 GPU Rad. RGB Fittings, RGB & BL case lighting. Custom acrylic internal shields/shrouds. Remainder TBD.

22 minutes ago, Grifterguru said:

This all depends on the "Record Player" (Turntable) you have as there is little point in acquiring a high quality amp for a low quality "Record Player" (turntable?).,

So, what "Record Player" is it (make/model) and secondly, doee it have a Ground wire to connect to the case of an amp?

There are two ways to do this....

"Record Player" to a standard amp, then from standard amp, via a line level converter, to a Blutooth amp.

Alternative line level converter

Simple enough if you know how ;)

As for speakers, that will depend entirely on the amp, but for best quality, you will need a speaker pair that consist of each speaker having a low range, mid-range and a tweeter speakers to get the best from the audio.

As an aside, I run a line level adjuster to run a two-amp Technics stack stereo valued at near 2K. Each amp alone is valued at neaqr £300 so I did a LOT of research before acquiring and installing a line level converter and I know for a fact it works fine. I would not risk a potential bill for a new amp hence the line level converter, and those that I listed above DO WORK and wirthout issue.

Well I'm posting this on behalf of a friend so I'm no entirely sure.

Just asked him and this is the exact turntable he has

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

As T/Tables go, that is a decent quality one, so the amp needs to be of a decent quality too....

Lots of opinions from lots of people on amps, but as a base/initial start point a good quality Technics amp would be a good place to start looking and work towards higher quality from there. Speakers should match amp quality and slightly exceed the channel wattage to avoid potential issues and sound distortion at higher volumes.

Instructions ? WHAT?!?!?! A man don't need instructions!       Oh............wait a minute...........................What's this bit for?  aaaaaagh!!
Lenovo M73 10AXS38G00 i7 4785T 2.20GHz, 16GB Ram, WD Black2 1.2TB Dual Drive, W7 64bit Ultimate, Lightscribe mulit-write Optical.
Lenovo T420 42369N8, i5 2520M 2.5/3.2GHz, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD (iOS 10.13.6 High Sierra), 750GB WD HDD (W7 Ultimate) Dual Boot, Lightscribe mulit-write Optical.
Lenovo L412 4403CT0, i5 520M, 2.4Ghz, 6GB RAM, 320GB HDD Win7 Ultimate Stock DVD Optical.
Custom (re)Build Tower (WIP). Asus Prime B350 Plus Mobo, GTX 960 GPU, Custom MOD Watercooling, Gamemax Falcon Case (two windowed side panels), RGB fans, dual rad CPU loop with 240 & 280 Rads, 120 GPU Rad. RGB Fittings, RGB & BL case lighting. Custom acrylic internal shields/shrouds. Remainder TBD.

I have a $100 2 channel amp, a $50 preamp from amazon for line input and I use that for my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable. The turntable is not powerful enough to run speakers ran directly into an amp. My turntable was $400 with a “built in amp” and it’s just not good enough. 

TBF, if an amp lacks a T/Table input it generally will not be of much use to run a T/Table to any other input, external amp between T/Table and amp or not.

Purely based on personal experience but yet, there may indeed be a quality solution to the issue that I am not aware of.

@TheFlyingTraut  pretty much what I stated above, although with that said, at the time I posted that particular response and not being near my 2k stack system, I could not check what the input was called as I could not remember! LOL 

I do know that my T/Table has a ground wire that connects to the back of the amp itself. Quality of said wire can also have detrimental effects at times (look up "Turntable Ground Wire Effects" on google ;) )...

I was too busy and too occupied by swapping out HDD's and reinstalling W7U.

• 1 month later...

Howdy, Most older audio receivers and integrated amps say pre 1990 had onboard phono amps built into them. Since you're from the UK it appears you have some really good options via eBay. You Britts build good audio gear.

Any thing from Musical Fidelity, Arcam, Linn, Revox, Cambridge (all British built) or some of the "built" in Japan units are actually very good. I own an Arcam FMJ A28, great little amp, built in RIAA phono section- no phono amp required. It's no Krell but still very good.

One thing, you have to know what type of cartridge your running on the TT. MC or MM This determine what type of phono section you will need The most popular is MM.

• 6 months later...
On 9/3/2018 at 2:44 PM, RumSwift said:

Hey,

Looking to get some speakers and an amp for a record player, but again have no idea whats good and what's not so good. Wondering if anyone could help.

Looking to spend around £200 to £250 on the amp and £200 to £300 on speakers.

All I'm asking is that the AMP has Bluetooth so it can be connected to a phone for Spotify etc... 

Thanks kindly.

Take a look into some q acoustics speakers, and an onkyo amp generally works quite well for vinyl, this one has a phono input for MM cartridges: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Onkyo-TX-8220-B-Stereo-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B075RGZC8G/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=onkyo+stereo+amp&qid=1555597813&s=gateway&sr=8-5

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)