Using 8 DIMMs on 2950X and MSI MEG Creation

Diraan

So I'm in the middle of a Threadripper build right now. After convincing myself that I only wanted 32gb of memory, I went and bought this Corsair 32GB Vengeance set, which is supported by the MSI MEG Creation X399 according to their own QVL. 

Predictably, I now want to fill the remaining slots on my board. Assuming I purchase an identical set of Corsair ram (CMW32GX4M4C3000C15), what can I do to make it work on all 8 DIMMs at the rated speed (3000)? According to MSI's QVL report, this set of memory only has a check mark under 2 and 4 slot compatibility. This is my first Ryzen build, and getting through all the memory compatibility information and misinformation has been trying. 

If I get another set, will I be losing out on memory speed or will it simply not work? I'm not at all opposed to overclocking or tweaking memory settings in the BIOS, I just want to make sure that I don't drop another few hundred dollars for nothing. 

Here are my system specs:

CPU: Ryzen Threadripper 2950X (Custom Loop Watercooled)
Motherboard: MSI MEG Creation X399
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (CMW32GX4M4C3000C15)
Video Card: Asus Strix GTX 1080
Primary Drive: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB
PSU: Corsair HX1200i

Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

9 minutes ago, Diraan said:

So I'm in the middle of a Threadripper build right now. After convincing myself that I only wanted 32gb of memory, I went and bought this Corsair 32GB Vengeance set, which is supported by the MSI MEG Creation X399 according to their own QVL. 

Predictably, I now want to fill the remaining slots on my board. Assuming I purchase an identical set of Corsair ram (CMW32GX4M4C3000C15), what can I do to make it work on all 8 DIMMs at the rated speed (3000)? According to MSI's QVL report, this set of memory only has a check mark under 2 and 4 slot compatibility. This is my first Ryzen build, and getting through all the memory compatibility information and misinformation has been trying. 

If I get another set, will I be losing out on memory speed or will it simply not work? I'm not at all opposed to overclocking or tweaking memory settings in the BIOS, I just want to make sure that I don't drop another few hundred dollars for nothing. 

Here are my system specs:

CPU: Ryzen Threadripper 2950X (Custom Loop Watercooled)
Motherboard: MSI MEG Creation X399
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (CMW32GX4M4C3000C15)
Video Card: Asus Strix GTX 1080
Primary Drive: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB
PSU: Corsair HX1200i

Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

You can't return the sticks for a 16x4 kit or is that way more expensive?

It might just work with XMP, slightly lower mhz, and a little more voltage to like 1.4V

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

27 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You can't return the sticks for a 16x4 kit or is that way more expensive?

It might just work with XMP, slightly lower mhz, and a little more voltage to like 1.4V

Thanks for your reply.

That's kind of what I figured. I just bit the bullet and bought the 8-stick set (that is QVL approved) and am packing up the other set for a return. 

3 minutes ago, Diraan said:

Thanks for your reply.

That's kind of what I figured. I just bit the bullet and bought the 8-stick set (that is QVL approved) and am packing up the other set for a return. 

Even if it's 8 sticks approved it's going to be the same as just throwing 2 sets of 4 identical sticks in it. Keep both for now and test it I guess, probably have 30 days to return, dunno if you'd lose some money though

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Even if it's 8 sticks approved it's going to be the same as just throwing 2 sets of 4 identical sticks in it. Keep both for now and test it I guess, probably have 30 days to return, dunno if you'd lose some money though

Apparently there are differences between these two sets, even though they carry the same name. According to MSI, the 8-sticks should work at 2933Mhz for 64GB. A Corsair rep just got back to me and said 2 sets of the memory I had would likely run at 2666 with all 8 DIMMs used, unless I wanted to try tweaking. Since the 8-stick set is double the price of the 4-stick set, I'll just opt to return now. I'm still waiting on parts from EK and Cablemod, so I'm not losing any time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2018 at 3:30 AM, Streetguru said:

I'm looking to use the same CPU+Mobo as @Diraan but I'm looking at higher initial memory. I was initially looking at the Corsair Vengeance RGP PROs in white (Going for a white-themed build) but the timings on their RAM aren't as good as G.skill sets. For me, Memory speed and latency is important, some of the things I do are highly dependant on FSB/RAM speed.

The question is, pay more for G.Skill/TForce RAM that's rated higher, or stick with corsair and see if they can overclock.

I think the MEG only supports up to 3600 RAM, but at that speed, finding anything better than CAS18 is hard, so 3200@CAS14, or 3600@CAS16

10 hours ago, Pyrii said:

Anything past 3200mhz CL14 B-die is likely just binned memory probably not worth going higher than B-die

Spoiler