Converting Windows to Windows over KVM

PKLee

Hi,

I have a desktop PC, 8700k + 1080Ti. My girlfriend recently wants a gaming computer, so instead of buying another PC, I'm thinking about buying another graphics card so that we could each have one graphics card and share the CPU cores and RAM. Therefore I'm looking into KVM solutions like unRAID.

I would like to share my rig with her but I don't want to sacrifice too much. Here are my questions:

- Will I be able to transfer my Windows system to a VM without reinstalling Windows?

- If a USB divece like a flash drive or joystick is plugged in, do I have to switch to unRAID screen and assign this device to specific VM everytime?

- Will I be able to assign her CPU cores and RAM back to me if her VM is offline?

Or if you had better idea than KVM please let me know, as well as any comment on my idea. Thanks.

PS. I checked out Hyper-V and RemoteFX does not seem to work for gaming.

- Will I be able to transfer my Windows system to a VM without reinstalling Windows?

Probably will need a reinstall

- If a USB divece like a flash drive or joystick is plugged in, do I have to switch to unRAID screen and assign this device to specific VM everytime?

If that USB Host controller IOMMU group is assigned to PC1 than no,  Watch linuses recent unraid stream

- Will I be able to assign her CPU cores and RAM back to me if her VM is offline?

Only if you shut your system down, log into the WebUI and reassign them.

19 minutes ago, PKLee said:

ill I be able to transfer my Windows system to a VM without reinstalling Windows?

you can but its a pain

20 minutes ago, PKLee said:

a USB divece like a flash drive or joystick is plugged in, do I have to switch to unRAID screen and assign this device to specific VM everytime?

Depends on how you do it, but can be yes.

20 minutes ago, PKLee said:

Will I be able to assign her CPU cores and RAM back to me if her VM is offline?

You can share cores so both vms have full access to all the cores.

Really, id just get a cheap desktop or laptop for this, much less hassle and much easier to setup. A cheap optiplex and gpu should be about 200 usd and much easier to get working.

Thanks everyone for your reply, I'm giving up this KVM idea because a) it would be painful and b) 8700k does not have that many PCIe lanes to spare.