"Dual boot" Linux UEFI, Windows BIOS

sscswist
Go to solution Solved by DimasRMDO,

The way I see it is to reformat Windows in UEFI so it's installed alongside Linux (I assume Ubuntu). Backup everything from there.

But if you do this step, Windows' bootloader may replace Grub and this may result in your laptop to not detect Ubuntu later even though the OS is still there.

I used to use EasyBCD to overcome this issue.

If you switch the other way around, it can be easier since you can install Ubuntu alongside Windows and Grub usually detects Windows automatically.

If you don't want to do that however, the only way to overcome is by using your technique at the moment, switching between UEFI and BIOS.

Hello guys.

I am new to Linux and i have some problems after installing it. I am running a Laptop with 2 SSD hard drives. One with Windows installed is in MBR mode and windows is running in BIOS mode. The other drive is in GPT mode. I installed Linux on the drive with GPT. As far as i understand Linux is now installed in UEFI mode. The problem i am having now is that Linux does not detect Wiondows (if i run os-prober command i get no response). I had problems with detecing windows even as i was installing as it was not detected by the installer (no option install alongside windows). I can boot to both operating systems but i have to switch boot drive in BIOS. Is there any way for me to fix this problem or is the only way to switch between operating systems to always change the boot drive in BIOS?

Asus laptop with intel i7 7700hq

The only way is to switch the boot drive. Once the system reaches the boot manager in EFI mode it can't switch to BIOS and vice versa.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, sscswist said:

Is there any way for me to fix this problem or is the only way to switch between operating systems to always change the boot drive in BIOS?

You might, might mind you, look into GRUB, but I'm not sure that's a valid option with two separate hard drives...

look at this thread, see if it helps

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1950299

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

The way I see it is to reformat Windows in UEFI so it's installed alongside Linux (I assume Ubuntu). Backup everything from there.

But if you do this step, Windows' bootloader may replace Grub and this may result in your laptop to not detect Ubuntu later even though the OS is still there.

I used to use EasyBCD to overcome this issue.

If you switch the other way around, it can be easier since you can install Ubuntu alongside Windows and Grub usually detects Windows automatically.

If you don't want to do that however, the only way to overcome is by using your technique at the moment, switching between UEFI and BIOS.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Thanks for the help. I guess i will try reformatting windows to UEFI and see what will happen from there.