SSD's in RAID?

captain_cereal_hands

If I own a Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB would I gain any noticeable difference in speed if I bought a second one and put it into RAID? (Note this drive is not my boot drive)

Hmmm so this drive is my Steam drive. I know odd choice but I just got curious if 2 in RAID would make games any noticeably faster. It would never be a just because thing. Only if it actually made sense.

Let assume it is

Sata 3 max bandwith is 6Gbps

If raid 0 will double the bandwidth, how in the world you would get another 6Gbps bandwidth from?

Just now, captain_cereal_hands said:

Hmmm so this drive is my Steam drive. I know odd choice but I just got curious if 2 in RAID would make games any noticeably faster. It would never be a just because thing. Only if it actually made sense.

won't make any noticable change. It will be basically the same. Raid is sometimes slower aswell as there is overhead aswell.

If you just want more space, id just use storage spaces to make a larger volume. That way you can mix drive size aswell.

Just now, Blebekblebek said:

Let assume it is

Sata 3 max bandwith is 6Gbps

If raid 0 will double the bandwidth, how in the world you would get another 6Gbps bandwidth from?

Its 6gbit per port, so if you have 2 drives you get a theoretical 12gbit max.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its 6gbit per port, so if you have 2 drives you get a theoretical 12gbit max.

but the drive is still capped at 6gbps, and the system isn't load balancing the write either.

1 minute ago, Blebekblebek said:

but the drive is still capped at 6gbps, and the system isn't load balancing the write either.

thats what raid does. Half the load is on each drive. raid 0 of 2 ssds is about 1000mB/s sequential read and write.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

won't make any noticable change. It will be basically the same. Raid is sometimes slower aswell as there is overhead aswell.

If you just want more space, id just use storage spaces to make a larger volume. That way you can mix drive size aswell.

I'm not looking for more space per say just had a thought and was curious. Now that my computer is built sometimes I think of ways I could tweak it to optimize things increase performance where it's noticeable.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'm not looking for more space per say just had a thought and was curious. Now that my computer is built sometimes I think of ways I could tweak it to optimize things increase performance where it's noticeable.

If you really want the fastest load time, get a high end nvme, preferably optane. But that difference is tiny. Just use storage spaces if you want more ssds for space. Raid won't help load times much.

Just now, Enderman said:

no raid will improve the speed more than it's bandwith.

I know what raid is, and the OP want MORE SPEED

7 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Raid 0 almost doubles the speed...................

Bandwidth is speed.

Please do some research on what raid is.

There are different types of raid.

Watch the video.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

raid also increases iops. It will make speed faster.

If you really want the fastest load time, get a high end nvme, preferably optane. But that difference is tiny. Just use storage spaces if you want more ssds for space. Raid won't help load times much.

Yeah my boot drive is a Samsung - 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280. Then I have the 850Evo and a Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive.

Looks good. Do you have a goal? If you want a cheap steam drive thats fairly fast get something like a micron 1100.

I use the 850 Evo as my Steam drive. I was just sitting in my chair on the forum and I wondered to myself if adding another drive in raid would make things any faster. The 850 Evo's are only like 140. So I was curious.

I use the 850 Evo as my Steam drive. I was just sitting in my chair on the forum and I wondered to myself if adding another drive in raid would make things any faster. The 850 Evo's are only like 140. So I was curious.

basically no, you won't notice a speed difference.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Raid 0 almost doubles the speed...................

Please do some research on what raid is.

There are different types of raid.

Watch the video.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

raid also increases iops. It will make speed faster.

Shit

Thought this was for hdd, all I read is raid and steam

hahahahaha sorry folks.

6 minutes ago, captain_cereal_hands said:

Yeah my boot drive is a Samsung - 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280. Then I have the 850Evo and a Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Shit

Thought this was for hdd, all I read is raid and steam

hahahahaha sorry folks.

Raid 0 on HDDs also doubles the speed.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

Raid 0 on HDDs also doubles the speed.

it's only on bench, it will never get 200MB/s on real write or read, maybe on 15k SAS drive, but I never had doubled performance with Windows, Freenas or any OS with any controller.

it's only on bench, it will never get 200MB/s on real write or read, maybe on 15k SAS drive, but I never had doubled performance with Windows, Freenas or any OS with any controller.

On a "bench" you run "benchmark" programs that test different types of speed.

Sequential speeds are the speeds that happen when transferring large single files like a video.

The other speeds are for random or high queue depth or other stuff. All of it is encountered in day to day use of a computer.

Do a file transfer test and you will see how raid 0 does double speeds even on HDDs.

The problem probably is that your hard drives were so slow you didn't notice any difference when the speed was doubled.

Or maybe you didn't clean install windows or something and you had other things slowing your system down.

Spoiler