Lenovo C630: First Windows on Snapdragon 850 2 in 1 laptop

40 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

its not that they dont perform, its that you can get better for much cheaper. 

There are no cheaper laptops that will give that battery life. Again this isn't about performance. Yeah cheaper can get you more power and full x86 support but this is a media consumption device. Even then, edge performs just fine on ARM. 

28 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

So buy a tablet lol. If you want a shitty laptop then there are plenty that get good enough battery life and are much cheaper. Good lord an iPad with the smart keyboard is a better "deal" that this.

Only windows tablets worth buying are Surfaces but are more expensive an meh on battery. And ipad pro with a keyboard is not far on from this price point. 

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Only windows tablets worth buying are Surfaces but are more expensive an meh on battery. And ipad pro with a keyboard is not far on from this price point. 

The Surface Go is $400. A normal iPad with a 3rd party keyboard attachment will be ~500. Both are better options than this. It's overpriced.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

4 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah, usually those options show up on business laptops but they tend to pop up occasionally with more expensive ultrabooks and hybrids.

My Lenovo t440s has LTE support and it's 2 batteries last about 7 hours in real workl (Lenovo advertises as 10 hours) But there is an option to have extended battery life with bigger external battery ~13-14 hours of working time  (17 hours advertised by lenovo)

Oh and i forgot i bought it for 192.5$ on Ebay 256 GB SSD + 1080P IPS screen + 8 GB RAM + KB backlight :) It costed me about 260$ to deliver in my country Georgia, Caucasus.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

No, you just said that you can do better. That's half of the story.

I can agree for MOST people. But I would gladly buy a 20+ hour Surface pro if I could, if it also had a 17+ inch screen.

Its pretty clear that I summarised lol.

20 hour battery life and a 17 inch touchscreen is too nieche tbh. Its not even a tablet at that point. 

5 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

There are no cheaper laptops that will give that battery life. Again this isn't about performance. Yeah cheaper can get you more power and full x86 support but this is a media consumption device. Even then, edge performs just fine on ARM. 

6 hours is pretty usual for any laptop these days. A cheap surface will get even more. 

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Its pretty clear that I summarised lol.

20 hour battery life and a 17 inch touchscreen is too nieche tbh. Its not even a tablet at that point. 

1. Poorly. You summarized it poorly.
  2. Yes. It's as niche as the MobileStudio Pro 16.
  3. Sure it is. Just not a consumer oriented tablet.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:
  1. Poorly. You summarized it poorly.
  2. Yes. It's as niche as the MobileStudio Pro 16.
  3. Sure it is. Just not a consumer oriented tablet.

I summarise how I want, I know what I mean to say, its not hard to discern either. It stops being a tablet when you have to use it at a desk. Anything can have a touchscreen. I can hardly see anyone using it on a plane or on the bus etc, tablets are about portability. 

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

It stops being a tablet when you have to use it at a desk. Anything can have a touchscreen. I can hardly see anyone using it on a plane or on the bus etc, tablets are about portability. 

I would have 0 issue with carrying a 17" tablet. It wouldn't be any different that any laptop I've had, and the only difference against tablets is that I have more screen real estate.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I would have 0 issue with carrying a 17" tablet. It wouldn't be any different that any laptop I've had, and the only difference against tablets is that I have more screen real estate.

Tablets are meant to be different to laptops in terms of portability.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

Tablets are meant to be different to laptops in terms of portability.

Beyond holding the thing, not really.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

apart from no keyboard, exteneded battery life, lower performance, much thinner, lighter etc and a touch screen?

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

apart from no keyboard, exteneded battery life, lower performance, much thinner, lighter etc and a touch screen?

None of those actually affect portability.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

None of those actually affect portability.

weight and depth not affecting portability? Strap a gym weight to your laptop and see the difference. 

On 8/31/2018 at 2:34 PM, Hunter259 said:

$850? Thats insane. Why buy this when you could get something like a Surface? Maybe if you really REALLY needed the battery life but I find it hard to believe that anyone would actually need the extra battery life over the much better native x86 performance.

Don't forget really good LTE. All these Intel based CPUs with LTE, has really shitty LTE performance, as the good stuff is made by SoC manufacture for phones.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

You have zero clue what you are talking about

Hoe the fuck could someone say there is no difference in portability between a laptop and a tablet

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Hoe the fuck could someone say there is no difference in portability between a laptop and a tablet

Probably because I've carried 7" tablets and 17" laptops under identical circumstances for 8 years. Beyond it being somewhat easier to use the tablets while standing up, there was literally no difference in portability.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Don't forget really good LTE. All these Intel based CPUs with LTE, has really shitty LTE performance, as the good stuff is made by SoC manufacture for phones.

That's more due to no one putting a half decent controller in one. Not really the fault of it being x86.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

just get an iPad. 

It costs less, delivers more, and isn't gimped on both software front and hardware

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

That thing better be good if they think $850 is a good price. That 850 is going to be needing to beat the I5s in performance if it even wants a chance at being worth it. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Not sure why people are surprised by the price. I've been saying for ages that Snapdragon based Windows laptops are expensive as fuck and makes no sense. We already had several models on the market before this one, and they were really expensive too.

On 9/1/2018 at 8:41 PM, mynameisjuan said:

There are no cheaper laptops that will give that battery life.

Yes there is. There are plenty of Chromebooks for less than laft the price which provide the same battery life.

On 9/2/2018 at 2:43 AM, GoodBytes said:

That is a very big and very wrong assumption you're making.

Nobody is stopping a laptop manufacturer from sticking a Qualcomm modem inside their laptop. My HP Elitebook has a Qualcomm modem in it.

Besides, Intel's modems aren't "really shitty" either. They are a bit behind Qualcomm's but they are nowhere near bad.

16 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yes there is. There are plenty of Chromebooks for less than laft the price which provide the same battery life.

Currently no chromebooks I know of can get this things reported battery life, but this should be a chromebook .

9 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Currently no chromebooks I know of can get this things reported battery life, but this should be a chromebook .

Not even the ARM based Chromebooks? Then what makes you think this laptop will be able to?