[Done... For Now!] Serenity (4960x, GTX770)

Mini update incoming! Hopefully tomorrow or monday 

:ph34r:

I think I might know what it is :ph34r: maybe?

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

You do, shhhh :P

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Will do :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

Muhaha, you have already said too much. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

:o

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

:o

:o  you beat me to it Blade, lol.

that last pic, smexy

oh and you even Canadian when you type arnt you "last part is abit obvious, eh?"

• 4 weeks later...

Currently, this build is finished, and I'm quite happy with the way that it is. I do want to watercool this at some point in the near future, but I'm not too sure when that will be, especially as this computer runs well (a kind of, if it isn't broken, don't fix it), and my server build is more of a priority to me.

If you want to see another build log, my server (which is what I'm currently working on) is located here, and will be receiving updates.

Finally, I just want to thank everyone that followed and or commented on this build log, it was fun :)

15" MBP TB

• 2 months later...

build-log-header.png

Mini update here:

I've been having some weird PSU issues - on and off coil whine from time to time. I'm trying to decide whether or not it's an issue worth replacing the power supply, as it isn't always present.

I also recently removed the wireless card from my desktop and replaced it with a powerline adapter, works quite well! I'm also still looking into watercooling my computer (almost a year after thinking about it, lol).

Well, that's all for now!

15" MBP TB

Yeah, watercooling is a massive black hole of money, waterblocks and stuff are okay because I actually feel as if I'm getting my money's worth, but every time I order some fittings and pay like $50 for a couple of them my stomach churns a little :P

I want to water cool but the straight up cost, it looks super easy to blow tonnes of cash on, well, not a whole lot, fans and fittings

Then again I guess the same can be said for a lot of aspects of the PC world. A couple of nice monitors, a shiny keyboard, mouse, audio gear, adds up in cost very quickly, and doesn't exactly give you a huge FPS boost

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

I want to water cool but the straight up cost, it looks super easy to blow tonnes of cash on, well, not a whole lot, fans and fittings

Then again I guess the same can be said for a lot of aspects of the PC world. A couple of nice monitors, a shiny keyboard, mouse, audio gear, adds up in cost very quickly, and doesn't exactly give you a huge FPS boost

Yeah, I agree completely. That's the main reason about why I've been putting it off for awhile, because it's just so expensive, for no direct performance improvement.

15" MBP TB

Yeah, I agree completely. That's the main reason about why I've been putting it off for awhile, because it's just so expensive, for no direct performance improvement.

I don't know if it's worth water-cooling GTX 770s. I have a pair of them, because aesthetically, SLI looks dope. And GTX 780s still started at around $700 when I bought the first card, which I straight up couldn't afford. Maybe now I wish I had have bitten the bullet and bought them, although at this point I'd rather wait for Maxwell. Although I'd be upgrading to play Dota 2.... and Starcraft 2 on the lowest settings...

I'm still going to watercool at some point soon though, hence why I'm still running stock cooler, because for what a good cooler will cost me, I could just buy a waterblock, and I can live without the overclocks for now

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

I have to say this is some of the best photo quality ive seen in a long time, btw what made you take the asus directcu2 770 instead of other models?

I don't know if it's worth water-cooling GTX 770s. I have a pair of them, because aesthetically, SLI looks dope. And GTX 780s still started at around $700 when I bought the first card, which I straight up couldn't afford. Maybe now I wish I had have bitten the bullet and bought them, although at this point I'd rather wait for Maxwell. Although I'd be upgrading to play Dota 2.... and Starcraft 2 on the lowest settings...

I'm still going to watercool at some point soon though, hence why I'm still running stock cooler, because for what a good cooler will cost me, I could just buy a waterblock, and I can live without the overclocks for now

Yeah, sadly because of the lack of load balancing rails on the 770, they probably won't get a performance boost with watercooling (maybe a minor one at most).

I have to say this is some of the best photo quality ive seen in a long time, btw what made you take the asus directcu2 770 instead of other models?

Thanks you very much! :D

I went with the ASUS DCUII 770 vs. other because it's still a pretty good cooler, and the price was right (was onsale).

That's a pretty build.

Thanks!

15" MBP TB

It really is easy to blow tonnes of cash on. At least if you're getting nice monitors, you get to look at them, a nice mechanical keyboard will feel good and audio gear will sound nice...etc. But fittings and watercooling is actually a black hole. A lot of people don't realise that you're likely to get like 500 MHz extra on your overclock max, no way will you get more out of watercooling compared to the best air coolers. It's just not worth it at all. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

At least if you're getting nice monitors, you get to look at them, a nice mechanical keyboard will feel good and audio gear will sound nice...etc. 

True. Monitors is more about lag/performance for me, considering the games I play. A mech keyboard, in all honesty, I find it hard to recommend unless you do a lot of typing, or you play games like CS:GO, SC2, Dota or Lol. If you play AAA titles and such, then I think a mech keyboard is a bit of a waste of cash, and you should spend that money elsewhere.

Yeah, sadly because of the lack of load balancing rails on the 770, they probably won't get a performance boost with watercooling (maybe a minor one at most).

I have been thinking of upgrading when Maxwell is released, and actually buying an "enthusiast" card. Not sure if I can justify the cost though since I don't really play new release titles, nothing has really wow'd me in the last little while

It really is easy to blow tonnes of cash on. At least if you're getting nice monitors, you get to look at them, a nice mechanical keyboard will feel good and audio gear will sound nice...etc. But fittings and watercooling is actually a black hole. A lot of people don't realise that you're likely to get like 500 MHz extra on your overclock max, no way will you get more out of watercooling compared to the best air coolers. It's just not worth it at all. 

Yeah, I don't think watercooling is really for performance, I think it's mainly for looks, and noise levels.

True. Monitors is more about lag/performance for me, considering the games I play. A mech keyboard, in all honesty, I find it hard to recommend unless you do a lot of typing, or you play games like CS:GO, SC2, Dota or Lol. If you play AAA titles and such, then I think a mech keyboard is a bit of a waste of cash, and you should spend that money elsewhere.

I have been thinking of upgrading when Maxwell is released, and actually buying an "enthusiast" card. Not sure if I can justify the cost though since I don't really play new release titles, nothing has really wow'd me in the last little while

Yeah, I'd say it depends on how Maxwell performs, something like a X60 card might be more than enough for what you play.

15" MBP TB

Yeah, I don't think watercooling is really for performance, I think it's mainly for looks, and noise levels.

Having been watercooling since 2001 and rather loving the hobby, I

still feel inclined to agree, performance-wise it isn't really worth

it in most circumstances.

There is a noticeable advantage when it comes to performance/noise

level, but looking at overclocks and such, the price/(performance

gains) ratio of water cooling really isn't that great.

Personally, I have a bit of a build quality fetish, anything which

is really solid and well-made has my attention, and with all those

solid milled blocks and stuff, water cooling is kind of perfect for

me in that regard.

As for monitors and keyboards: Considering those are the two primary

elements which I use to interact with my computers, I'd prefer them

to be good, although since I don't really game anymore but instead

mostly code, my demands on the monitor side might not be quite the

same as many other people's around here (my dream monitor setup is

a PLP config with two 1600 × 1200 20" monitors on the sides and a

2560 × 1600 30" in the middle, but that is a rather expensive proposition

unfortunately, so for now I'm still rocking my 1920 × 1200 24" one,

although I'm pretty happy with it). Concerning keyboards, well, I

type a lot (writing and coding, mainly), and have one with Cherry

blue switches, wouldn't want to miss it TBH, absolutely awesome. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Having been watercooling since 2001 and rather loving the hobby, I

still feel inclined to agree, performance-wise it isn't really worth

it in most circumstances.

There is a noticeable advantage when it comes to performance/noise

level, but looking at overclocks and such, the price/(performance

gains) ratio of water cooling really isn't that great.

Personally, I have a bit of a build quality fetish, anything which

is really solid and well-made has my attention, and with all those

solid milled blocks and stuff, water cooling is kind of perfect for

me in that regard.

I completely agree, not to mention that watercooling makes everything that much harder to change around and upgrade. 

I actually recently went back to air from water, just getting a cheap CM Hyper 212 Evo for the CPU and my overclocks dropped from 4.50 GHz to 4.20 GHz on my 3930K, not noticeable at all in my book. On top of that the two NF-F12s I put on there are just silent. It's pretty nice going back to air because I can just do things like take out my graphics card without having to worry about all the watercooling issues. I actually missed that a lot whilst watercooling. 

That said, I'm with you on the keyboard and monitor. I just can't live without my mechanical keyboard (Blue switches) and I find it pretty hard to type on anything else. For my monitor setup though, I use LPP instead, pretty much just because of my workflow. I use the landscape for games, spreadsheets and internet and I use the portraits for documents. Most of my work is essentially typing and writing and I just find it heaps easier to write on a portrait monitor, it's a lot closer to what we're used to, books being printed in portrait...etc. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

I totally agree with you, and my dream monitor setup is the same as yours. Specifically though, they would need to be colour accurate too.

I also agree that good quality devices are very important - I use my monitor, keyboard and mouse all the time, and they're instrumental to a good experience. As someone who goes back and forth between cheap peripherals at school and my stuff at home, the good stuff maters quite alot ;)

15" MBP TB

I actually recently went back to air from water, just getting a cheap CM Hyper 212 Evo for the CPU and my overclocks dropped from 4.50 GHz to 4.20 GHz on my 3930K, not noticeable at all in my book. On top of that the two NF-F12s I put on there are just silent. It's pretty nice going back to air because I can just do things like take out my graphics card without having to worry about all the watercooling issues. I actually missed that a lot whilst watercooling. 

Most of the time, unless you're heavily taxing your system, the performance difference is negligent.

15" MBP TB

• 6 months later...

build-log-header.png

Wow! Has it ever been a long time since I've done an update.

Just got some stuff in today, sorry, no photos of the shipping box :(

three-boxes.jpg

Some new fans! 

bottom-dutch.jpg

motor.jpg

one-box.jpg

bottom.jpg

fan-box.jpg

I wonder what could possibly be going on in the next few months  :D

15" MBP TB

I was wondering when someone was going to get some of these. Do you have some noctua's to compare? Also am I the only one that wises more 140mm SP fans would com out? Also FFS = For Fuck's Sake lul :P I still find it odd they still went with grey, especially with all the complaints. Then with the FFS that bright red cable.