Cars subsection

orbitalbuzzsaw

Poll : yes or no  

27 members have voted

1. 1. yes or no

• yes
    • y00s
    • no

I like cars myself, and I do like the idea.

However, I do not see the point of people coming to a tech forum to ask questions about cars. This forum was created for the sole purpose of helping and discussing tech. 

If there was a valid reason to have a car thread/discussion then the mega car thread wouldn't be in the off topic section.

I also do not see the relevance of "shifting community members to other forums" when there are specialized forums for cars, heck - even specific models of cars where you will find much more in-depth information than you will find here. Remember - This is a tech forum, for tech things, not for car advice.

25 minutes ago, Netivity said:

I like cars myself, and I do like the idea.

However, I do not see the point of people coming to a tech forum to ask questions about cars. This forum was created for the sole purpose of helping and discussing tech. 

If there was a valid reason to have a car thread/discussion then the mega car thread wouldn't be in the off topic section.

I also do not see the relevance of "shifting community members to other forums" when there are specialized forums for cars, heck - even specific models of cars where you will find much more in-depth information than you will find here. Remember - This is a tech forum, for tech things, not for car advice.

I don't think the idea is to attract new members or other people from the web here for car talk, but to simply give those who already are very active here a better environment to talk about cars,  the massive car thread is inadequate for anything other than general banter, imagine trying to squeeze all of off topic into one thread, most people would stop posting. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I don't think the idea is to attract new members or other people from the web here for car talk, but to simply give those who already are very active here a better environment to talk about cars,  the massive car thread is inadequate for anything other than general banter, imagine trying to squeeze all of off topic into one thread, most people would stop posting. 

I agree that it is inadequate, but I also do not see the benefit of having an environment dedicated to car talk on a tech forum, because then we'd have to accommodate for the airplane thread etc. When there are multiple forums dedicated to the topics which provide more insight and information.

I think a blanket rule should apply for this - as we'd have to accommodate for each "mega thread" that is created/being created. It just has no place on a tech forum.

Just my two cents though. To each their own :) 

Just now, Netivity said:

I agree that it is inadequate, but I also do not see the benefit of having an environment dedicated to car talk on a tech forum, because then we'd have to accommodate for the airplane thread etc. When there are multiple forums dedicated to the topics which provide more insight and information.

I think a blanket rule should apply for this - as we'd have to accommodate for each "mega thread" that is created/being created. It just has no place on a tech forum.

Just my two cents though. To each their own :) 

As I said before, the admins can decide based on demand (or some other intrinsic metric), but I don't see why they have to create an airplane thread  or any other thread if their isn't a demonstrable demand for it.   And yes there are better places to go for in depth knowledge, but honestly majority of the time who wants to sign up for another forum just to ask one question that could easily be asked here (I.E should I get a 2004 XXX or slightly cheaper 2011 XXX with more miles).  And if the question can't be asked here the advice will usual result in directions to a more suitable forum.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The current thread seems to be made up of semi regulars as it is, so why not have a car subforum where each person can have their own build thread, which along with that will have the other generic questions such as the one @mr moose alluded to, not to mention there was someone asking about car headlights in Off Topic earlier...

Sometimes it's nice to be on a forum where there's a mix of cars represented. I find model/brand specific forums can be both repetitive, and suffer from some pretty big egos. It happens when everyone is focused on the same specific subject matter like that.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

8 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

The current thread seems to be made up of semi regulars as it is, so why not have a car subforum where each person can have their own build thread, which along with that will have the other generic questions such as the one @mr moose alluded to, not to mention there was someone asking about car headlights in Off Topic earlier...

Sometimes it's nice to be on a forum where there's a mix of cars represented. I find model/brand specific forums can be both repetitive, and suffer from some pretty big egos. It happens when everyone is focused on the same specific subject matter like that.

As much as I love to tell everyone about my Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi and how cool it is, I think just a little subforum will do fine. 

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

As much as I love to tell everyone about my Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi and how cool it is, I think just a little subforum will do fine. 

If they setup up dedicated thread for automotive, I am posting pictures of my lawn mower.  A complete log of all the work I have done to it.  pictures of grass it has cut.  I might even put a video up of it blowing smoke out the exhaust on a cold start.

We have a huge thread for automotive chat going back years that anyone is more than welcome to come to for advice or to join and chat with us, along with a car thread Discord channel. There's really no need for an entire subforum

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

On 8/31/2018 at 10:06 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Could be called Planes, trains and automobiles.

I'd call it Easy Rider, just because why not. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

On 9/1/2018 at 11:47 AM, mr moose said:

The only reason I don't participate in that thread is because it is difficult to maintain cohesion when you are almost 12 hours out of sync with most of the participants.

One of the times that I posted and was quoted by 3 people, It was on 3 different pages. RIP browsing. People there post faster than rabbits mate in Straya. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

If they setup up dedicated thread for automotive, I am posting pictures of my lawn mower.  A complete log of all the work I have done to it.  pictures of grass it has cut.  I might even put a video up of it blowing smoke out the exhaust on a cold start.

Please settle down, Ross warned us of some large egos. I'll have to get my lawnmowers out. 

o.O

article-2366244-1AD7AABD000005DC-87_634x469.jpg

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Please settle down, Ross warned us of some large egos. I'll have to get my lawnmowers out. 

Bring it on.

1 hour ago, Ross Siggers said:

o.O

article-2366244-1AD7AABD000005DC-87_634x469.jpg

I'm, not that well refined,  think more along the lines of MAD MAX.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Bring it on.

I'm, not that well refined,  think more along the lines of MAD MAX.

I raise you a jet powered lawnmower

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

5 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

I raise you a jet powered lawnmower

Mine actually cuts grass and you don't need to carry around propane tanks.  :P

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Mine actually cuts grass and you don't need to carry around propane tanks.  :P

CHALLENGE FUCKING ACCEPTED

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

8 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

CHALLENGE FUCKING ACCEPTED

I can't wait to see this jet powered lawnmower cut grass, I hope it has a LASER mounted on the front for those stubborn tree stumps.

16 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I can't wait to see this jet powered lawnmower cut grass, I hope it has a LASER mounted on the front for those stubborn tree stumps.

How about a MACHINE GUN

She/they 

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

How about a MACHINE GUN

We're in the 21st century now, it has to be a LASER at the very least,  though a plasma canon would be preferred.

Just now, mr moose said:

We're in the 21st century now, it has to be a LASER at the very least,  though a plasma canon would be preferred.

How about a PLASMA LASER MACHINE GUN

She/they 

2 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

2 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

ok.  but it has to look cool, I don't care how well it performs, it's all about image.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

ok.  but it has to look cool, I don't care how well it performs, it's all about image.

Let's have it shoot SWORDS then

She/they 

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Let's have it shoot SWORDS then

with little flame balls that orbit around the sword like an early 90's side scroller.

Just now, mr moose said:

with little flame balls that orbit around the sword like an early 90's side scroller.

Flame balls made of PLUTONIUM

She/they