orbitalbuzzsaw

Poll : yes or no  

27 members have voted

1. 1. yes or no

• yes
    • y00s
    • no

23 minutes ago, 3NMa said:

I agree. I feel like there are many people on here an many people into PC:s that are also into cars. 

Yep, count me in

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Aren't there cars forums as well?

Also, would the car in question have to be at least electric? I mean, how much tech is really in there that is remotely close to PC tech.

Can't deny the numbers of the current thread though...

2 minutes ago, NMS said:

Aren't there cars forums as well?

Also, would the car in question have to be at least electric? I mean, how much tech is really in there that is remotely close to PC tech.

Can't deny the numbers of the current thread though...

There are forums, but mostly targeted to specific car makes

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

6 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

If a subsection is added, I think it's better to have it about vehicles in general, not just cars. I guess that'll round up those who are interested in such things into a dedicated place instead of being scattered around 'Off Topic' and status updates. Imo of course

This is so far most realistic suggestion. Cars in tech forum is still niche point of conversation. If there would be subforum, it should be for wider area of interest. Just like hobby electronics gathers all non-pc related tech projects and gadgets. Drones, 3d printers, RPi etc. So if this would be a thing, it should have all methods of transport. Cars, bikes, electric cycles, hoverboards... Could be called Planes, trains and automobiles.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

This is so far most realistic suggestion. Cars in tech forum is still niche point of conversation. If there would be subforum, it should be for wider area of interest. Just like hobby electronics gathers all non-pc related tech projects and gadgets. Drones, 3d printers, RPi etc. So if this would be a thing, it should have all methods of transport. Cars, bikes, electric cycles, hoverboards... Could be called Planes, trains and automobiles.

walking lel

srs though, +1

She/they 

Any feedback yet?  Seriously if any off topic subject needs a sub its this.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

need to break 100k first

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

need to break 100k first

I would have thought 134K was sufficient evidence a sub was appropriate.  The only reason I don't participate in that thread is because it is difficult to maintain cohesion when you are almost 12 hours out of sync with most of the participants.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

I would bet that there's already discussion about it in mods internal chat. Whether it leads to something may need approval from @Slick.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

funny thing is LTT is now thinking about car reviews so it would make even more sense to add it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 8/29/2018 at 3:39 PM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

I mean I agree with you but lots of people don't and so I think a place for them is good

That's a logical fallacy: It is perfectly possible for lots of people to all be wrong in exactly the same way. I don't think a place for them on this forum as a subsection is good.

On 8/29/2018 at 3:55 PM, Blasteque said:

Sure, but they wouldn't be populated by the LTT community.  The mega car thread is proof that there are many in this community that are into cars.  I can understand wanting to keep the forums focused (there's also a mega airplane thread, where do you draw the line?); I can also understand wanting to keep your community here instead of sending them elsewhere...

It's okay if it's not populated by the LTT community; you can message someone on here if you really want to talk to them. There are definitely plenty of people here who like cars, and that's okay. I would have the same reaction to someone suggesting an airplane subsection as I have to this car one. I draw the line at what is obviously tech. If you want to start a thread on here called "Building a Computer for My New Open Source Car" then yeah! That's a computer; but if you want to just talk about cars, especially parts of cars that have no computer to them at all (and that is the vast majority of discussion of cars in my experience) then that is irrelevant. The point that cars have computers in them is a small one because, let's be honest here, how many times do you (as in car people) want to talk about car computers and nothing else straying from that? Rarely, at best. Car people going to a car thread or forum want to talk about cars, not computers. That's okay; but it's not relevant to this forum as a whole. Lastly, why can't people be members of multiple communities and forums?

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

4 hours ago, LtStaffel said:

That's a logical fallacy: It is perfectly possible for lots of people to all be wrong in exactly the same way. I don't think a place for them on this forum as a subsection is good.

How can someone be wrong about what they do? Are you claiming that lots of people do participate in car forums but just claim they avoid them?

Also, being off topic isn't a reason in itself not to have a sub.  A reasonable justification for opposing it would be more along the lines of demonstrating how it would detract from the forums as they are or from the admin perspective if they can moderate/staff extra subs.  But that is a decision for admins.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

How can someone be wrong about what they do? Are you claiming that lots of people do participate in car forums but just claim they avoid them?

Also, being off topic isn't a reason in itself not to have a sub.  A reasonable justification for opposing it would be more along the lines of demonstrating how it would detract from the forums as they are or from the admin perspective if they can moderate/staff extra subs.  But that is a decision for admins.

I don't understand your first question. Someone said that they agreed with me that car people can go to car forums to talk about cars, but then followed that statement by saying that lots of people disagree. I therefore said the logical fallacy statement, pointing out that just because lots of people disagree doesn't make their argument or their side any more right/correct/powerful etc than another argument with less people supporting it.

I think being off topic is a reason in and of itself to not have it's own subsection beyond the "off topic" section because it detracts from the forums and makes it harder on the admins. Once they make a car subsection, then they (in order to be fair) have to make a subsection for any other stupid topic that comes up. I know that not all things are fair, but if the admins and mods can't be cohesive in their treatment of users (for example by giving you a subsection you request but not giving me my requested subsection) then it is obvious that they cannot be trusted for more serious topics like that of banning members based on their judgement of the given member's behavior.

Have I explained myself well? I'm happy to further clarify and know that I do not always speak clearly.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

15 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

I don't understand your first question. Someone said that they agreed with me that car people can go to car forums to talk about cars, but then followed that statement by saying that lots of people disagree. I therefore said the logical fallacy statement, pointing out that just because lots of people disagree doesn't make their argument or their side any more right/correct/powerful etc than another argument with less people supporting it.

I think being off topic is a reason in and of itself to not have it's own subsection beyond the "off topic" section because it detracts from the forums and makes it harder on the admins. Once they make a car subsection, then they (in order to be fair) have to make a subsection for any other stupid topic that comes up. I know that not all things are fair, but if the admins and mods can't be cohesive in their treatment of users (for example by giving you a subsection you request but not giving me my requested subsection) then it is obvious that they cannot be trusted for more serious topics like that of banning members based on their judgement of the given member's behavior.

Have I explained myself well? I'm happy to further clarify and know that I do not always speak clearly.

You said people can just go to car forums, and Orbital responded saying he agree's you can go to a car forum, that is possible, but lots of people don't.  You then claimed that lots of people can be wrong at the same time.  Orbitals claim is a statement of observation, it is not statement that relies on people holding a belief that can be wrong.  He claimed lots don't go to car forums, what those lot's believe to be right or wrong is irrelevant.

With regard to the topic, there is no rule that says admins have to make a topic for anything just becasue they make one for cars,  there is a definite and obvious demand for a car related sub, not only is the one car thread huge, but we frequently get car related questions and requests for help in the off topic thread.  The same claim can't be made for other topics.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

You said people can just go to car forums, and Orbital responded saying he agree's you can go to a car forum, that is possible, but lots of people don't.  You then claimed that lots of people can be wrong at the same time.  Orbitals claim is a statement of observation, it is not statement that relies on people holding a belief that can be wrong.  He claimed lots don't go to car forums, what those lot's believe to be right or wrong is irrelevant.

You completely missed the fact that we each read his reply differently, and both could be seen as correct. How about we have him clear it up? @OrbitalBuzzsaw

He said this "I mean I agree with you but lots of people don't and so I think a place for them is good." You read it as "lots of people don't go to car forums," whereas I read it as "I agree with you but lots of people don't agree with you." Do you see why I responded like I did now?

Spoiler

Just now, LtStaffel said:

You completely missed the fact that we each read his reply differently, and both could be seen as correct. How about we have him clear it up? @OrbitalBuzzsaw

He said this "I mean I agree with you but lots of people don't and so I think a place for them is good." You read it as "lots of people don't go to car forums," whereas I read it as "I agree with you but lots of people don't agree with you." Do you see why I responded like I did now?

I get that, I read it the way because it should be obvious that people can just go to a car forum, that as a belief did not need to be asserted.

Also I edited my post and added some bits because I hit the wrong button before I was finished. Sorry

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

With regard to the topic, there is no rule that says admins have to make a topic for anything just becasue they make one for cars,  there is a definite and obvious demand for a car related sub, not only is the one car thread huge, but we frequently get car related questions and requests for help in the off topic thread.  The same claim can't be made for other topics.

My response to this entire block is: So what?

Just because misguided people come to the wrong forum for help doesn't mean we should encourage them by making a subsection.

Just because there is demand doesn't mean it should happen (there was demand for Trump to become President and there was demand for Hillary to become President, so whichever way you fall... [I am assuming you're in the US, I apologize if you're not, but you see my point I'm sure]).

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

My response to this entire block is: So what?

Just because misguided people come to the wrong forum

Huh?  are you seriously suggesting people are misguided because they want to ask for help in a community they feel comfortable in? They know full well they are not asking in a car forum and the responses might be thin on, but given the number of serious enthusiast there are here and the fact I rarely see a lack of good response,  it doesn't look that misguided to me.

for help doesn't mean we should encourage them by making a subsection.

Why not encourage them, it's not like there is a valid reason not too have people ask specific questions in a specific sub where many people enjoy the conversation.

Just because there is demand doesn't mean it should happen (there was demand for Trump to become President and there was demand for Hillary to become President, so whichever way you fall... [I am assuming you're in the US, I apologize if you're not, but you see my point I'm sure]).

This is hardly world changing politics, it's merely a large portion of a forum community requesting a specific sub.

Again your reasoning for it not to exist doesn't cut the mustard, meaning your only reasoning is you don't like it, and calling people misguided is not adding any weight to your rational.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Huh?  are you seriously suggesting people are misguided because they want to ask for help in a community they feel comfortable in? They know full well they are not asking in a car forum and the responses might be thin on, but given the number of serious enthusiast there are here and the fact I rarely see a lack of good response,  it doesn't look that misguided to me.

Why not encourage them, it's not like there is a valid reason not too have people ask specific questions in a specific sub where many people enjoy the conversation.

This is hardly world changing politics, it's merely a large portion of a forum community requesting a specific sub.

Again your reasoning for it not to exist doesn't cut the mustard, meaning your only reasoning is you don't like it, and calling people misguided is not adding any weight to your rational.

I don't know why this is all such a big deal. I originally said that because this is a tech forum and not a car forum and because there are already existing, bigger, better, and better populated car forums that having a subsection for it here would be unnecessary and defeat the purpose of having a tech forum. This all reminds me of the whole Boy Scouts gone "The Scouts" chaos.

Why do you personally want a car subsection? I doubt your answer is going to be significantly more "morally correct" or anything, because this is all a very small thing. I only voiced my opinion, and you voiced yours while also claiming I was wrong about certain things. I showed that we didn't read things the same way along with some other points of why I thought your reasoning wasn't as relevant as mine, and now we're here.

When it comes down to it, it doesn't really affect me whichever way this ends up. I, personally, don't want it. You, personally, do want it. Neither of us are going to change each other's minds here.

Spoiler

I don't know why this is all such a big deal. I originally said that because this is a tech forum and not a car forum and because there are already existing, bigger, better, and better populated car forums that having a subsection for it here would be unnecessary and defeat the purpose of having a tech forum. This all reminds me of the whole Boy Scouts gone "The Scouts" chaos.

Why do you personally want a car subsection? I doubt your answer is going to be significantly more "morally correct" or anything, because this is all a very small thing. I only voiced my opinion, and you voiced yours while also claiming I was wrong about certain things. I showed that we didn't read things the same way along with some other points of why I thought your reasoning wasn't as relevant as mine, and now we're here.

When it comes down to it, it doesn't really affect me whichever way this ends up. I, personally, don't want it. You, personally, do want it. Neither of us are going to change each other's minds here.

Holy crap, if it's not such a big deal why are you so opposed to it?  Yes I want one, I see no reason not to have one. 

You do realise that you don't have to read the sub if your not interested, however it seems you are more interested in denying others what they want for little more reason than you don't like it.  If you want to talk about morals,  I would say that trying to deny other people having something that doesn't effect you is objectively less moral than them wanting something that doesn't effect you.

Car thread right now. We need it.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Corsair H100i Pro | ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2x16gb @ 3200mhz  | Vega 64 @ Stock | Fractal Design Define R4 | Corsair RM750

ThinkPad T480 | Intel Core i7 8650u | Nvidia MX150 | 32GB DDR4 @ 2400mhz | Samsung 840 Pro 1tb | 1080p touchscreen

5 hours ago, MellowCream said:

Car thread right now. We need it.

?

The thread is already there.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

25 minutes ago, MyInnerFred said:

If you want a car subsection so badly why not set up a poll and see what the forum members think? 

Okay, done

She/they