Cars subsection

orbitalbuzzsaw

Poll : yes or no  

27 members have voted

1. 1. yes or no

• yes
    • y00s
    • no

I mean I see so damn many car posts I think it might be time to make a subsection of Off Topic for them

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Just direct them to the mega car thread :) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Just direct them to the mega car thread :) 

The topics that I see are just too diverse to fit into that thread IMO, I think they're there for good reason but they clog up other things in off topic. In fact, perhaps a section in Community is warranted IMO

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

Not to seem sarcastic or passive aggressive, but this is a tech forum and--while cars do have increasingly more tech in them--cars are not really tech. Couldn't people go to one of the many dedicated car forums that are around?

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

2 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

Not to seem sarcastic or passive aggressive, but this is a tech forum and--while cars do have increasingly more tech in them--cars are not really tech. Couldn't people go to one of the many dedicated car forums that are around?

I mean I agree with you but lots of people don't and so I think a place for them is good

She/they 

6 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

I mean I agree with you but lots of people don't

DiscreteDizzyAiredaleterrier-size_restricted.gif

1 minute ago, emosun said:

DiscreteDizzyAiredaleterrier-size_restricted.gif

aaaand your gif is broken

She/they 

Just now, emosun said:

your internet is broken

lol yep hotel wifi lol

She/they 

16 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

Sure, but they wouldn't be populated by the LTT community.  The mega car thread is proof that there are many in this community that are into cars.  I can understand wanting to keep the forums focused (there's also a mega airplane thread, where do you draw the line?); I can also understand wanting to keep your community here instead of sending them elsewhere...

1 minute ago, Blasteque said:

Sure, but they wouldn't be populated by the LTT community.  The mega car thread is proof that there are many in this community that are into cars.  I can understand wanting to keep the forums focused (there's also a mega airplane thread, where do you draw the line?); I can also understand wanting to keep your community here instead of sending them elsewhere...

Let's see what @techswede thinks

She/they 

1 hour ago, Blasteque said:

The subforum would be under OT. At that point its fair to ask, why continue discussion here. Because of moderstion? Platform? I can't think it's just people.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

21 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Let's see what @techswede thinks

Pfft. Thinking? I don't get paid to do that.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

A subsection would be cool and all, and would reduce the clutter. The main car thread I think is sufficient since this isn't a car forum though, and a lot of the extra threads are super basic 'wat kar shud I buyz' that can be answered in a post or two with 'miata'

Car forums are much more tailored to specific makes and models rather than general car enthusiast discussion. It's kinda nice to have the all-are-welcome aspect of car chat, and it has always amused me just how many tech/gamer friends of mine are also, to varying degrees, car people.

1 minute ago, bimmerman said:

can be answered in a post or two with 'miata'

heresy

She/they 

Also i started the car thread in 2014 thinking it'd die in a week or so. 
I'm really not an authority on anything in this forum. Yall do you. Not like i can change anything. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

2 hours ago, bimmerman said:

fine, S2000

Morris Minor. 

18 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Morris Minor. 

BMW 330i Sports Wagon

She/they 

Don't really see why it can't be a thing, just because its a tech forum doesn't mean you can't have anything not tech related. I have seen tech forums with subs for food, music, cars, and so on.  It does work.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Seeing that the car thread has over 130k replies, it would be difficult for a new user to ask/find a particular question without said question being buried.

If a subsection is added, I think it's better to have it about vehicles in general, not just cars. I guess that'll round up those who are interested in such things into a dedicated place instead of being scattered around 'Off Topic' and status updates. Imo of course

2 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

Seeing that the car thread has over 130k replies, it would be difficult for a new user to ask/find a particular question without said question being buried.

If a subsection is added, I think it's better to have it about vehicles in general, not just cars. I guess that'll round up those who are interested in such things into a dedicated place instead of being scattered around 'Off Topic' and status updates. Imo of course

Yes, I need a place to post pictures of my ride on mower.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Yes, I need a place to post pictures of my ride on mower.

You might laugh but there are people with legit questions that would get drowned in the car thread

She/they 

34 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

You might laugh but there are people with legit questions that would get drowned in the car thread

I would be happy with a car sub forum, I am a motor head type person with a fair bit of experience.  I would like to help people with questions but I find the one thread just too long, there is way to much to catch up on peer visit and questions would easily get lost in it.

Oh and I am serious about thee mower,  Even though it's  good to laugh at, I have enjoyed messing around with it.

I agree. I feel like there are many people on here an many people into PC:s that are also into cars.