NVIDIA Controls AIB Launch and Driver Distribution - HardOCP

21 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

I would imagine they just want to make sure the first reviews are done by people that really look at the whole picture and don't just test FPS and ignore all the added stuff.

So what you're saying is that Nvidia wants reviewers who talk about what Nvidia is happy to talk about, rather than addressing what their audience cares about. I get it.

I bet AMD would also love reviewers talking about HBM and mining efficiency rather than comparing Vega's FPS to the GTX lineup :D

Didn't comb through all pages to see if answered elsewhere so sorry if it was but... what is AIB?

People laughed at me when i said AMD must be happy with how Nvidia is handling things. 

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

5 minutes ago, thedude4bides said:

Didn't comb through all pages to see if answered elsewhere so sorry if it was but... what is AIB?

it stands for add-in-board, as in the companies that manufacture the PCB and coolers. Nvidia and AMD develop and sell GPU dies to AIBs to sell cards, they will design a reference PCB but AIBs are allowed (mostly) to design new board designs.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

11 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

People laughed at me when i said AMD must be happy with how Nvidia is handling things. 

so happy they cant compete lol

controlling review samples has and always will be by many larger companies

as long as they arent manipulating facts and fudging numbers like intel did back some time ago

9 minutes ago, pas008 said:

so happy they cant compete lol

controlling review samples has and always will be by many larger companies

as long as they arent manipulating facts and fudging numbers like intel did back some time ago

*cough* 3.5GB Vram

If this is true, GN won't sign it (they already said f-you to AMD before), they will probably somehow get the card(s), do a proper review and figure out what the NDA BS is all about.

Yes nvidia probably has the fastest card, but that's no reason to be an arse (again) and control too much. If it really is as good as they say, it should speak for itself which i doubt now...

The closer we get to launch, the less i like all this tbh.

Like, 8GB vram, wtf, NDA bs like this and it's all about RTX, like, that's nice, but first signs are that performance isn't great (just too taxing) and most games won't use it anyway.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

*cough* 3.5GB Vram

point being?

card performed exactly right in its price point by far

Just now, pas008 said:

point being?

You said they didnt manipulate the numbers. They have literally done just that.

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

If this is true, GN won't sign it (they already said f-you to AMD before), they will probably somehow get the card(s), do a proper review and figure out what the NDA BS is all about.

Yes nvidia probably has the fastest card, but that's no reason to be an arse (again) and control too much. If it really is as good as they say, it should speak for itself which i doubt now...

The closer we get to launch, the less i like all this tbh.

Like, 8GB vram, wtf, NDA bs like this and it's all about RTX, like, that's nice, but first signs are that performance isn't great (just too taxing) and most games won't use it anyway.

20% more cuda and faster memory its going to have the performance besides the new rt shit

and they are controlling their product reviews like intel, amd, apple, samsung, etc just not letting aibs do it

1 minute ago, KendoSapion said:

You said they didnt manipulate the numbers. They have literally done just that.

cards did have 4gb of ram on chip

and we have no clue if that was marketing error on the rest and etc but they did pay

actually me twice

Just now, pas008 said:

cards did have 4gb of ram on chip

and we have no clue if that was marketing error on the rest and etc but they did pay

actually me twice

So when they say the RTX will be 50% faster than the 1080 ti you believe them? Or have they manipulated then numbers by using extremely specific tests

33 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

So what you're saying is that Nvidia wants reviewers who talk about what Nvidia is happy to talk about, rather than addressing what their audience cares about. I get it.

I bet AMD would also love reviewers talking about HBM and mining efficiency rather than comparing Vega's FPS to the GTX lineup :D

You can spin it like you want to. Does not change the issue at hand.

Nvidia is doing something new and wants people to show all the stuff and not just the trivial boring stuff.

As i said: You can watch the boring biased reviews a week later, i will be looking forward to full reviews that don't flat out ignore what the product actually is.

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

point being?

Until you hit 3.5GB VRAM usage and it all goes to poop, which is perfectly possible with games of today.

There is no point in throwing GPU power at a VRAM problem.

And don't forget the whole GT1030 gddr5 vs ddr3 mess AND the fact a 1060 3GB doesn't have the same amount of cuda cores as a 1060 6GB.

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

20% more cuda and faster memory its going to have the performance besides the new rt shit

and they are controlling their product reviews like intel, amd, apple, samsung, etc just not letting aibs do it

Of course they are going to control it, but this is a step too far. I've never heard AMD, intel or even Nvidia themselves going so far with NDA's but for some reason even tho it all looks like they will have a superior product, they somehow want to control reviews even more? Like why? If it's a good product, there is no need to control so much and reviewers will give it the good reviews it deserves.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, KendoSapion said:

So when they say the RTX will be 50% faster than the 1080 ti you believe them? Or have they manipulated then numbers by using extremely specific tests

20 more cuda

faster memory

and added rt and tensor cores

yes I believe its faster by far

maxwell to pascal was 25% more cuda and faster memory roughly made 35% across the board

4 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Until you hit 3.5GB VRAM usage and it all goes to poop, which is perfectly possible with games of today.

There is no point in throwing GPU power at a VRAM problem.

And don't forget the whole GT1030 gddr5 vs ddr3 mess AND the fact a 1060 3GB doesn't have the same amount of cuda cores as a 1060 6GB.

Of course they are going to control it, but this is a step too far. I've never heard AMD, intel or even Nvidia themselves going so far with NDA's but for some reason even tho it all looks like they will have a superior product, they somehow want to control reviews even more? Like why? If it's a good product, there is no need to control so much and reviewers will give it the good reviews it deserves.

you forget they been doing this for yrs now its a problem

970 was new thing  but to get that card to poop like you are saying means you are doing things that card cant handle in the first place

as 970 owner 5760x1080 res tell me why I would think I could play maxed out settings on 970sli

980 is same situation poops pretty much that same

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

having read the article again, it doesn't make the insinuation that the reviewer has to publish what Nvidia tells them to and only able to use the specifial games and benchmarks where it has the biggest increase, it's just about who has access to the review samples and drivers and normal NDA.

If there was something telling them "we will moderate the content you publish before it's made public to remove anything negative about our product" then HardOCP would absolutely have said that, and if that is the case, then no self respecting reviewer or review site would sign the NDA and anyone that does is not likely going to be a respected reviewer currently anyway.

As a buyer, I always wait multiple weeks to months after a product release to make sure there are enough reviews saturating the market with a good mix of positive and negative things. Hell people have already pre-ordered it even without any reviews already. those people are idiots.

Rude D: . Maybe people who preordered are fine with the performance increase not being amazing or just like new tech or any host of reasons. 

I'm not surprised they're attempting this, I am however, surprised that it might be working.

From what I've seen here's my (un)educated guess:

2080 = 1080ti It's a slight bump in price and a slight bump in performance so for all intents and purposes, without the ray tracing limited in ray tracing titles it's basically almost a rebadge. Think 290x to 390x it's technically a "different" product, node is refined yields permit slight better performance and such but for 1080ti owners who are smart (a.k.a. the ones that realize that by the time ray tracing justifies a completely new product the 3080 will be out so another year at the very least) they can just disregard.

2080ti It's basically the only new product and again this is probably the performance they were sitting on from Pascal because even "big" Pascal on the 1080ti/Titan whatever wasn't fully maxed. Sure the slight refinement of their process affords them slight better temps and power usage but given water or a really beefy cooler you could have probably achieved this over a year ago with Nvidia would have released a truly maxed Pascal that was above the 1080ti level.

So basically Nvidia has very little to differentiate or justify any product outside of the 2080ti which they went ahead and priced 400 fucking bucks above the 2080 because of course they did, who's gonna compete at that level?

They know they're sitting on 2 products that are basically the same as the current ones (2080 = 1080ti and 2070 = 1080) and one that's well, basically priced as ridiculous as they feel they can get away with so obviously they don't want honest, accurate reviewers (which are a fucking rarity tbh) to come out and say "If you're rich, you don't watch reviews you already preordered the 2080ti and if you're a reasonable customer, just get a fucking 1080ti and it will be within 3 to 5% on every possible title you can imagine with the exception of the 2 games that might come out with Ray Tracing and even then it's going to tank your performance so who fucking cares?"

-------

Current Rig

-------

The only one final solution: stop buying nVidia GPU's.

This is getting really ridicolous.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

29 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I think they have already signed it. AFAIK this is and has always been about that short NDA document that got leaked some time ago. GN specifically did a video where they talked to their lawyer about it and they were mostly fine with that NDA.

Hardocp on the other hand was always strongly against this NDA so no wonder that when they reached to NVIDIA to be included in the RTX release they got told that first they need to sign that NDA. Since they did a poll and their users don't want them to sign, they will not be included.

I think it's safe to assume that GN and LTT will be a part of the release since both outlets spoke about that NDA and they were mostly fine with it.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

5 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

The only one final solution: stop buying nVidia GPU's.

This is getting really ridicolous.

Yes, it is getting ridiculous.

No, stop buying Nvidia products it's not a plausible solution when they're virtually the only name in town for high end GPUs or if you want to do something like play AAA titles at 4k

To be fair you would need to say "Stop playing games at 4k and most games that feature Nvidia only features, also all games sponsored by Nvidia" or in other words "Go play indie games from 2012 almost exclusively"

Which is fine if you're saying that (hint: I would) but on the other hand you know that it's just not possible for 2018 gamers interested in current games to avoid supporting Nvidia, they already won and are everywhere truth is you can't escape them you can just point out how shitty they are and wait until it backfires on them (which probably won't happen for 5 to 10 more years at least)

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, 79wjd said:

Nvidia could very easily (and should) place a signature in the driver -- this would allow Nvidia to determine who uploaded the driver and then ban that reviewer from future releases.

And they are going to make a unique identifier for every single reviewer that's going to get a driver? I don't think so. At most they would make a unique one for each AIB. I wouldn't worry about it.

Outside of the regular NDA for review samples that any product has, I find this whole thing ridiculous, frankly.

31 minutes ago, pas008 said:

20 more cuda

faster memory

and added rt and tensor cores

yes I believe its faster by far

maxwell to pascal was 25% more cuda and faster memory roughly made 35% across the board

Pascal also increased clocks to 2 ghz. That is a bug reason why it was so much better than Maxwell. 

12 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

I think they have already signed it. AFAIK this is and has always been about that short NDA document that got leaked some time ago. GN specifically did a video where they talked to their lawyer about it and they were mostly fine with that NDA.

Hardocp on the other hand was always strongly against this NDA so no wonder that when they reached to NVIDIA to be included in the RTX release they got told that first they need to sign that NDA. Since they did a poll and their users don't want them to sign, they will not be included.

I think it's safe to assume that GN and LTT will be a part of the release since both outlets spoke about that NDA and they were mostly fine with it.

Tech Jesus already came out against Tom's Hardware ridiculous piece so that gives him enough nerd capital to do another ridiculous version of 'This NDA it's just fine' like the bullshit he did before to justify it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Yes, it is getting ridiculous.

No, stop buying Nvidia products it's not a plausible solution when they're virtually the only name in town for high end GPUs or if you want to do something like play AAA titles at 4k

To be fair you would need to say "Stop playing games at 4k and most games that feature Nvidia only features, also all games sponsored by Nvidia" or in other words "Go play indie games from 2012 almost exclusively"

Which is fine if you're saying that (hint: I would) but on the other hand you know that it's just not possible for 2018 gamers interested in current games to avoid supporting Nvidia, they already won and are everywhere truth is you can't escape them you can just point out how shitty they are and wait until it backfires on them (which probably won't happen for 5 to 10 more years at least)

I'm very afraid you're right. I'm still using my GTX780 which is now 4 years and 4 months old and it's still rocking for my needs. I'd like to play games at 1440p or 4k but it seems it's not gonna happen. If only AMD would come with much better solutions but thanks to Intel their dirty tactics in P4 times, AMD missed a lot of incomes. Intel should really be fined billions if they do that again. Look at what happened, it's simply unacceptable! I think we all should be moving on to consoles to save us a lot of headaches and miss that 4k gameplay. One single fucking GPU that's €1399, that's literally my entire PC! i7-4770, GTX780, 16GB DDR3, 2TB, Fractal Design R4 AND with W7 purchased legit: €1473. i have no hopes for next years.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280