Screen vertical for programming?

Jeroen1322

Hi guys!

I was wondering if you use a second or third or even a forth screen that is standing vertical for programming?

I have a old screen and was wondering if i should mod the stand so it stands vertical.

What are the Pro's and Con's?

Thanks! 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

yes you can

i find a secondary monitor extremely useful for all kinds of stuff, and i can not imagine its less when programming

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

A 2nd monitor is a must, I had mine for quite some time until recently, Increased my workflow buy a ton. I don't know about vertical because I never tried but it would be good/not good depending on the situation. Well The choice is yours, honestly as long as you have a second monitor you will be happy vertical or not :)

There are mostly pros; If you do it on a decent monitor. Most monitors, even those with built in portrait mode, are built for landscape use, so that's how the pixels are set up. It can sometimes cause really weird colours or hard-to-read text if you flip it around. The problem becomes less apparent the better monitor you pick up, of course. My U2711's do quite well in portrait mode, for example.

Cheers,

Linus

I have got 2 vertial monitors next to my main screen, as a programmer.

It is very usefull:

Webbrowsing
Displaying lists

Mail, musik programms

4 Standard size aplications like: Skype, puty filezilla and Hardware monitoring

Not usefull for Gaming, Writing/reading code

i am not a native speaker of the english language

[spoiler=My Rig: ]CPU: i7-3770k@Stock | Ram: 3x4GB@1600Mhz | Graka: 660TI@Stock | Storage: 250GB 840Evo, 1x1TB,2x2TB,2x640GB,1x500GB (JBOD) + NAS: DLINK DNS-320 2x3TB Raid1

I've been running a second monitor in portrait mode for a little over half a year now. The biggest pros I notice is that I can look at something like 60 loc at once versus more like 30 on a standard monitor. And I can stretch that up toward 75 if I move some things out of the IDE. It is also amazing for reading articles and looking through lists or browsing large folders. The primary downsides I run into is if I want to run video and do something else then either I run video on my main monitor or it is running tiny on my second. Also I do get some of the color issue because I'm running an old dell monitor.

If you spend a lot of time either writing code or reading anything I would say it is worth it.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

i find it is a great to have another monitor in portrait, i use it for facebook and other websites/articles due to the them needing more vertical space than horizontal. great for word processing as with a 21.whatever inch screen [1080p] i can get a full a4 [uk/european sized standard] page and a bit on the screen, nearly 1:1 scale,  at once and can read it very clearly. programming yes and no, sometimes i like it there sometimes not, im just weird like that. i enjoy the portrait screen, try it out for all the tasks u want to do on it and if ya like it keep it if not just turn 90 degrees in the correct direction.

Just a guy with a beard