asus b450-f strix, gskill 2x8gb 3000 tridentz rgb, ryzen 5 2600

Go to solution Solved by Detwolverine,

Hey guys,

Yeah Evanair, I was just showing my bios options compared to yours. Maybe they will release an updated bios since we are still stuck on the first release on the atx and no manual option there for SOC.

nick name: I did not try it in Ryzen Master when I realized through HWInfo that my soc voltage was actually fine in windows. I have my Corsair 4x8 kit (3000 15-17-17-35) running stable at 2933 16-17-17-35. At least ROG Realbench stable for a few hours anyways. 

I'm not a big fan of seeing the bios tell me my soc voltage is at 1.65 or my dram is running at 1.2. Hopefully they release a matured bios that gets rid of these few kinks, otherwise it seems to be stable for now. This is a work computer and I need things to be super stable before they get sent upstairs because I don't want to have to go back to them to update bios and settings or if they start crashing.

Thanks for the conversation guys.

10 minutes ago, Detwolverine said:

There is no manual soc voltage on the Strix b450 f. Auto or offset.

I just built a system on the B450 Strix ITX version and it was on there. I'd be really surprised if it was taken away on the full sized board.

12 minutes ago, Evanair said:

Jesus this thread went off the rails sounding like you could fry your PC at the drop of a hat.

I've built two Ryzen systems on Asus boards, a x370 and a b450.  This issue you're describing has everything to do with CPU SOC voltage.

Now first things first, just ignore the settings if they are on AUTO as they aren't always true readings for you to see. So that 1.6 or whatever SOC voltage it said probably wasnt accurate.

Set so to manual, and run at at 1.05 to start. Also go into your power options and set LLCs to level 1 or 2.

This should help fix your issue.

I applied a + 0.100 offset to soc voltage, hwinfo now reporting 1.019. What is crazy is bios shows the value now at 1.65. Disconcerting to say the least.

1 minute ago, Evanair said:

I just built a system on the B450 Strix ITX version and it was on there. I'd be really surprised if it was taken away on the full sized board.

Are you running bios 0901? I just looked at your itx support page, b450f atx only has 0504 (first release) bios available.

6 minutes ago, Detwolverine said:

Are you running bios 0901? I just looked at your itx support page, b450f atx only has 0504 (first release) bios available.

I ran the first release and the updated one, they both had it.

The customer hasn't picked up her system yet, so I got it booted to BIOS.

Also, I forgot I needed to remove that sticker, thanks for giving me a reason to open the system again.

IMG_20180828_054942.jpg

IMG_20180828_054823.jpg

IMG_20180828_054812.jpg

15354606469205975353795156550332.jpg

4 minutes ago, Evanair said:

I ran the first release and the updated one, they both had it.

The customer hasn't picked up her system yet, so I got it booted to BIOS.

Also, I forgot I needed to remove that sticker, thanks for giving me a reason to open the system again.

IMG_20180828_054942.jpg

IMG_20180828_054823.jpg

IMG_20180828_054812.jpg

20180828_085531.jpg

20180828_085619.jpg

Did you have anything to ask? You quoted me but didn't add any text

1 minute ago, Evanair said:

Did you have anything to ask? You quoted me but didn't add any text

I think he proved that there is no manual mode. Should I just run stock, till there is an updated bios, or what are my options. Lol this sounds so dramatic. (It might take a while till I react as I about to leave for the evening)

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

7 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

I think he proved that there is no manual mode. Should I just run stock, till there is an updated bios, or what are my options. Lol this sounds so dramatic. (It might take a while till I react as I about to leave for the evening)

Ah yeah, I didn't see the last photos. I just moved to my phone.

It looks like they really cut down the BIOS on the B450f compared to the B450i... I wonder if that's because they won't be releasing an itx version of the x470...

Very interesting. And crappy too, because it's necessary to get some ram speeds.

I think I see something in your BIOS that should help, the SOC load line option. Change that from Auto to level 2 or 3. 

@Detwolverine @TheThymo I am glad to learn that the SOC voltage doesn't persist in Windows. Have either you tried using Ryzen Master to set your SOC voltage?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Hey guys,

Yeah Evanair, I was just showing my bios options compared to yours. Maybe they will release an updated bios since we are still stuck on the first release on the atx and no manual option there for SOC.

nick name: I did not try it in Ryzen Master when I realized through HWInfo that my soc voltage was actually fine in windows. I have my Corsair 4x8 kit (3000 15-17-17-35) running stable at 2933 16-17-17-35. At least ROG Realbench stable for a few hours anyways. 

I'm not a big fan of seeing the bios tell me my soc voltage is at 1.65 or my dram is running at 1.2. Hopefully they release a matured bios that gets rid of these few kinks, otherwise it seems to be stable for now. This is a work computer and I need things to be super stable before they get sent upstairs because I don't want to have to go back to them to update bios and settings or if they start crashing.

Thanks for the conversation guys.

• 2 weeks later...