Itnernet Connection Issues

Butterchicken2

Hello everyone, I have a quick question regarding wifi amplifiers and routers. My current situation is I am living downstairs of a two story house where the modem and router are both on the second story (main level). There currently is an Apple Wifi extender in my room where I have a CAT 7 ethernet cable running from that to my computer/ps4. However, I do not feel as though the wifi extender is doing an adequate job of supplying my systems with better internet. Is there anything you guys would recommend me do to improve my internet stability while living downstairs? I have considered purchasing a new wifi extender, or even a router and putting that down here for my personal use. I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money on both items considering my work and schooling is all done online. Thanks! 

Ubiquiti AP will cover a bunch of space and do a damn good job at it too

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I can also recommend Ubiquiti, however they can be a bit difficult to set up at first. You could also buy a router and set it up as an access point, disabling all the routing functionality. It also doubles as a switch so if you want to run ethernet from there to your PC, you can do that.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Ubiquiti AP will cover a bunch of space and do a damn good job at it too

I just read a little bit into it, I noticed it comes with some sort of hub to enable ethernet connection to it. Is that something that is just plug and go? I also read that it requires a driver/software of some sort that I can just install onto my PC?

6 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

I can also recommend Ubiquiti, however they can be a bit difficult to set up at first. You could also buy a router and set it up as an access point, disabling all the routing functionality. It also doubles as a switch so if you want to run ethernet from there to your PC, you can do that.

Would this be a more viable option compared to just purchasing an extender? This was my first consideration for dealing with this problem.

1 minute ago, Butterchicken2 said:

I just read a little bit into it, I noticed it comes with some sort of hub to enable ethernet connection to it. Is that something that is just plug and go? I also read that it requires a driver/software of some sort that I can just install onto my PC?

Program to install and it takes you through setup, took me about an hour total.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Butterchicken2 said:

Would this be a more viable option compared to just purchasing an extender? This was my first consideration for dealing with this problem.

Well, depends if you need ethernet. If you don't, a Ubiquiti access point is a much cleaner solution and you can either wall or ceiling mount it. If you need ethernet, what I'd suggest to do is buy an AC Wireless router with gigabit ethernet, such as the TP-Link Archer C1200.

7 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Program to install and it takes you through setup, took me about an hour total.

Okay, awesome thanks for the recommendation, will continue to look into this product.

Well, depends if you need ethernet. If you don't, a Ubiquiti access point is a much cleaner solution and you can either wall or ceiling mount it. If you need ethernet, what I'd suggest to do is buy an AC Wireless router with gigabit ethernet, such as the TP-Link Archer C1200.

Ethernet is technically not a requirement, however I do prefer it over wireless connection. I'm also not educated on router setup, in other words, would setting up a router as an access point, like you stated earlier, cause me some trouble? I have no problem with setting a router up considering I have to learn some day, when I do it, I just want to be doing the best setup I can, reducing the chance of me having to ultimately restart and figure out a new format to use for stronger connection.  

Just now, Butterchicken2 said:

Ethernet is technically not a requirement, however I do prefer it over wireless connection. I'm also not educated on router setup, in other words, would setting up a router as an access point, like you stated earlier, cause me some trouble? I have no problem with setting a router up considering I have to learn some day, when I do it, I just want to be doing the best setup I can, reducing the chance of me having to ultimately restart and figure out a new format to use for stronger connection.  

Router setup isn't that complicated, you'd have to disable the DHCP server on the router and plug in the incoming ethernet to the LAN port. (not WAN). The ethernet ports are good for up to 1 Gigabit, and the WiFi can do 1167 mb/s theoretically, and if you have a wifi adapter that supports it.

I can also guarantee from personal experience that you can get up to 100 Mb/s on Wifi if your hardware supports it. Then again, my hardware only had a theoretical maximum speed of 450 mb/s.

Router setup isn't that complicated, you'd have to disable the DHCP server on the router and plug in the incoming ethernet to the LAN port. (not WAN). The ethernet ports are good for up to 1 Gigabit, and the WiFi can do 1167 mb/s theoretically, and if you have a wifi adapter that supports it.

I can also guarantee from personal experience that you can get up to 100 Mb/s on Wifi if your hardware supports it. Then again, my hardware only had a theoretical maximum speed of 450 mb/s.

Ahh I see, and that's relieving. My only concern would be that will the current router that is upstairs now limit the new router I purchase and put down here?

1 hour ago, Butterchicken2 said:

Ahh I see, and that's relieving. My only concern would be that will the current router that is upstairs now limit the new router I purchase and put down here?

It won't. Again if your connection is below 100/100 it'll handle just fine, even on WiFi. Over that it will handle too, but I suggest using ethernet. Ethernet can do up to 1 Gigabit, and no home router has higher bandwidth ethernet available right now.

The access point solution seems a bit overkill to me. Depending on your in house electrical lines you could try a DLAN solution to begin with. I'd recommend devolo for this they might be a bit more expensive but I can only recommend them. Devolo DLAN Adapter

They use your in house electrical lines to transfer the network signal. Might be worth checking out.

43 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

It won't. Again if your connection is below 100/100 it'll handle just fine, even on WiFi. Over that it will handle too, but I suggest using ethernet. Ethernet can do up to 1 Gigabit, and no home router has higher bandwidth ethernet available right now.

Okay, awesome thanks, I really appreciate your help!

12 minutes ago, M-Wolf said:

The access point solution seems a bit overkill to me. Depending on your in house electrical lines you could try a DLAN solution to begin with. I'd recommend devolo for this they might be a bit more expensive but I can only recommend them. Devolo DLAN Adapter

They use your in house electrical lines to transfer the network signal. Might be worth checking out.

That is very interesting, ill look more into this and see if my local tech stores carry it, I can always return it if it doesn't provide the sufficient stability needed.