Out of the loop for entry level mirrorless what's what?

So I believe Sony is still selling the a6000 but I'm not sure what's exactly replaced it, or if there's something better for a similar price in the range of $500 to $600 and the best glass to get for it.

I was thinking probably a fast 50mm lens and then a faster but cost effective 50mm to something lens and maybe just for versatility something a little longer

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

IMG_0008.thumb.JPG.e77e884d50921fa48eaed8f41639c73f.JPG

Is good :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The a6000 is pretty good still. The replacement a6300 and a6500 are of course better but they increased the price quite a bit with these with the a6300 going new for 800$ now when the prices have dropped a bit. The a6500 goes for over 1000$ new. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

1 minute ago, xQubeZx said:

The a6000 is pretty good still. The replacement a6300 and a6500 are of course better but they increased the price quite a bit with these with the a6300 going new for 800$ now when the prices have dropped a bit. The a6500 goes for over 1000$ new. 

Geez alright, I wasn't exactly sure where the a6300 and a6500 slotted in, I knew they were more expensive but I didn't know if they were direct replacements or not.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

4 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

So I believe Sony is still selling the a6000 but I'm not sure what's exactly replaced it, or if there's something better for a similar price in the range of $500 to $600 and the best glass to get for it.

I was thinking probably a fast 50mm lens and then a faster but cost effective 50mm to something lens and maybe just for versatility something a little longer

Instead of looking at camera body alone you should look at system as whole.

For example do you want bulk and weight to stay at reasonable when having multiple lenses?

Every single lens is always compromise, so it's pretty easy to start collecting more of them when wanting to photograph more.

And Sony doesn't have that many compact lenses. (that 16-50mm is very seriously underdesigned optically)

No matter how good camera is, it doesn't do any good if you keep it sitting at shelf because carrying it would be too much hassle/work.

That's why cellphones have pretty much killed compact cameras.

Also for APS-C format/sensor that 50mm focal length isn't best for general use.

It's basically toward portrait field of view lens.

Different formats have always needed different focal lengths for same field of view.

And it's that certain field of view and what you want to photograph, which decides what focal length lenses you need.

So start listing what things you want to photograph.

Only problem with Sony APS-C cameras right now is a lack of lenses. For stills, I'd be more inclined to check out Fuji, like an X-T100 or a used X-T20. Olympus and Panasonic do good work, but I'm not a fan of the MFT sensor size, but that's more of a personal thing. So far I think Fuji is offering the best balance right now.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy