Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eagle01

Leaving MBP for PC

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys,

Looking at a new laptop. After many years with mac, i'm heading back to pc. New laptop needs to handle light to moderate gaming

as well as some 3D software and I watch a lot of movies. I'm from the US and strictly buying from Bestbuy because i'm trading in my MBP so I'll have a credit.

Weight and battery doesn't matter much because I'll be mostly plugged in. I was looking at these 3 laptops. I want to stay under $1500

• ASUS GU501GM-BI7N8
  • MSI S63 STEALTH-010
  • ASUS Q535UD-BI7T11

Well are you using this for school or just a home machine? If its for home, why not build a Desktop? If it is for School, I would priorities battery life over performance. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

Right off the bat, unless 4k is important to you I'd cross the Q535 off the list. I'm not sure that a U series processor will handle 3D software very well, although that depends on what actual software, but it definitely strikes me as a different sort of laptop than the other two.

As far as the GU501 and the S63, personally I'd pick the GU501. The two extra cores will likely help a lot in any sort of 3D software and having a 120hz screen on a laptop sounds pretty fuckin sweet.

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well are you using this for school or just a home machine? If its for home, why not build a Desktop? If it is for School, I would priorities battery life over performance. 

He probably want it for the compact of having everything. 

I'd say to op its not worth it as I know a friend that tried that and he hated it and got a super high end pc in the end but if you want,  if I was buying what you listed, I'd want this:

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS65-Stealth15-6-i7-8750H-Chassis/dp/B07BBJKCYG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1535337688&sr=1-3&keywords=msi+1070+laptop

34 minutes ago, eagle01 said:

Just buy the one with the fattest cooling and that has an i7 + GTX 1050ti

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Yes i'm looking for portability so don't really want the desktop. 4k isn't a priority at all. Just thought the q535 had some good specs for a 2in1. I was leaning towards the MSI but i waited to long and the price went back up to $1599