Leaving MBP for PC

Hey guys,

Looking at a new laptop. After many years with mac, i'm heading back to pc. New laptop needs to handle light to moderate gaming

as well as some 3D software and I watch a lot of movies. I'm from the US and strictly buying from Bestbuy because i'm trading in my MBP so I'll have a credit.

Weight and battery doesn't matter much because I'll be mostly plugged in. I was looking at these 3 laptops. I want to stay under $1500

• ASUS GU501GM-BI7N8
  • MSI S63 STEALTH-010
  • ASUS Q535UD-BI7T11

Well are you using this for school or just a home machine? If its for home, why not build a Desktop? If it is for School, I would priorities battery life over performance. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Right off the bat, unless 4k is important to you I'd cross the Q535 off the list. I'm not sure that a U series processor will handle 3D software very well, although that depends on what actual software, but it definitely strikes me as a different sort of laptop than the other two.

As far as the GU501 and the S63, personally I'd pick the GU501. The two extra cores will likely help a lot in any sort of 3D software and having a 120hz screen on a laptop sounds pretty fuckin sweet.

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well are you using this for school or just a home machine? If its for home, why not build a Desktop? If it is for School, I would priorities battery life over performance. 

He probably want it for the compact of having everything. 

I'd say to op its not worth it as I know a friend that tried that and he hated it and got a super high end pc in the end but if you want,  if I was buying what you listed, I'd want this:

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS65-Stealth15-6-i7-8750H-Chassis/dp/B07BBJKCYG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1535337688&sr=1-3&keywords=msi+1070+laptop

34 minutes ago, eagle01 said:

Just buy the one with the fattest cooling and that has an i7 + GTX 1050ti

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Yes i'm looking for portability so don't really want the desktop. 4k isn't a priority at all. Just thought the q535 had some good specs for a 2in1. I was leaning towards the MSI but i waited to long and the price went back up to $1599