*UPDATED 9/5/2018* Tom's Hardware's Editor in Chief's Controversial RTX Article

-rascal-
1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Why are people getting so cut up about an opinion piece? It's the opinion of an individual, not a review.

An opinion piece from the highest ranking member of a well known tech review site. If Linus did something similar everyone would be losing their minds too

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

LOL every1 is getting trolled so hard.

Its a troll article, or if u like, a sarcastic one.

There is no way a person could write that with a straight face or even mean it. Seriously ..... I dont get why people are discussing it.

Poe's Law HYPE

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Because literally telling people to just buy the cards, before actual release and reviews, is insane. You can do a positive opinion piece on Nvidia, RTX and Ray Tracing without telling people to just buy the cards with only Nvidia marketing hype to inform you of the product.

Well everyone is entitled to think what they want. They probably get paid for stuff like this. 

30 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

An opinion piece from the highest ranking member of a well known tech review site. If Linus did something similar everyone would be losing their minds too

Everyone has a price and Nvidia isn't doing so well. There probably isn't too much harm, being that Tom's Hardware isn't exactly the place for marketing rather than reviews and specs. 

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Well everyone is entitled to think what they want. They probably get paid for stuff like this. 

That's kind of the issue, people go to Tom's Hardware and other places for hopefully unbiased not paid for reviews aka advertising.

8 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Everyone has a price and Nvidia isn't doing so well. There probably isn't too much harm, being that Tom's Hardware isn't exactly the place for marketing rather than reviews and specs. 

U wot? Nvidia's doing just fiiiine. The slight dip they took because investors just woke up about crypto being dead is effectively nothing to NVDA.

gvhydbg.png

Linus himself seems to be under the impression Nvidia didn't even pay for this but I guess only Tom's really knows

2 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

U wot? Nvidia's doing just fiiiine. The slight dip they took because investors just woke up about crypto being dead is effectively nothing to NVDA.

Linus himself seems to be under the impression Nvidia didn't even pay for this but I guess only Tom's really knows

I got the impression people were a bit unimpressed with Nvidia's new offering? Maybe. I think we'll probably get a statement or something soon anyway.

13 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I got the impression people were a bit unimpressed with Nvidia's new offering? Maybe. I think we'll probably get a statement or something soon anyway.

Well yea people are triggered because they don't realize how big of a deal ray tracing is. Whether RTX fails or not, raytracing is 100% as big of a deal as Jensen made it seem. Eventually we're gonna cap out resolution (8k per eye VR is the current estimate of human visual acuity) and texture sizes.

Longer draw distances and higher quality, more granular LoDs might be cool (think about a super super high resolution texture loading in when you walk up to a wall to see the grain structure in the cement), but in order to really make games look photorealistic you need ray/path tracing.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

That's kind of the issue, people go to Tom's Hardware and other places for hopefully unbiased not paid for reviews aka advertising.

I don't know what would be worse... if they're not being paid and it's not satire, the guy legitimately sounds insane.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

It's funny how one split moment can define your career just like that.

Like, 5 minutes before he clicked "Send" he was the Editor in Chief of a reputable reviewing site and everything was OK and 5 minutes after he did so, his reputation and credibility in the industry is totally annihilated.

As a funny side note: a lot of that article would've made sense if 2080ti was literally the last GPU NVIDIA released. Then you can talk about the opportunity cost because whether you buy it now or 5 years later, nothing will change and the faster you get it the longer you get to enjoy the benefits.

But arguing that you need to buy it now because in future years more titles will have RT when we can predict with virtually 100% probabilty that there will be newer and more powerful cards make this argument hilariously out of touch.  

Yeah honestly it doesn't make much sense to me tbh. I mean I do have the 2080ti reserved and have no clue if it's any good or not yet but I like new tech and just want to play with raytracing. It's more of an enthusiast thing than thinking the technology is going to be amazing and game changing on release. I think the way Jayz2cents put it in his video talking about pricing sums it up very well. That being said I am very aware that buying it on release isn't the greatest idea but that won't change my mind. Advocating others to follow suit is another thing. I mean if you don't have a love for hardware and are buying it expecting a huge performance uplift then you really shouldn't. I bought the r7 1700 on release and there were alot of issues and no guarantee that it would be a good processor. I was fully aware of this and was ready to deal with such risks. I can say that with all the early issues with the 1700 i wouldn't have recommended buying it on release unless you were prepared for all the issues it had. You would have been far better off waiting a couple months for most if those issues to be fixed and to figure out what memory to buy and what motherboards were good rather than going in blind. But that is the price one pays for being an early adopter. People who are early adopters don't need convincing so articles like this are just dumb. Recommending being an early adopter is just stupid. 

The price is a bit high but it's new tech. AMD Rays won't be around till 2020.

Tomshardware.png.4cbb897d109838fba1d14e1656138e80.png

Was just thinking about what could have been the potential corporate logic...I think it might have gone something like this.

Intel: HAHA we're awesome and have no competition!

AMD: Oh yeah? :: slaps Zen architecture ::

Intel: Oh crap! :: panics and has an almost pointless new architecture launch ::

AMD: Aaaand here we go! :: Shows Ryzen, then ThreadRipper...then Epyc, then Gen 2 stuff ::

Intel: :: takes a Xanax and calms down :: Ok, here we go.  :: starts honestly trying again since it has competition ::

AMD: :: takes it in stride, keeps focusing on CPU deals ::

nVidia: :: whispering in its board meetings :: Quick, while AMD's focused on CPU stuff, let's try to grab even more of their GPU share ::

nVidia: :: bombastic new card series announcement ::

AMD: Oh.

Fanboys and reviewers: :: shrug :: We don't have samples yet.  Sounds nice?

Tom's Hardware: JUST BUY IT!

Fanboys and reviewers: Lol wut?

7 hours ago, SolarNova said:

There is no way a person could write that with a straight face or even mean it. Seriously ..... I dont get why people are discussing it.

Opinion pieces should be clearly labeled "OPINION" if the journalist has any integrity.  They do in most mainstream media.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Opinion pieces should be clearly labeled "OPINION" if the journalist has any integrity.  They do in most mainstream media.

it's clearly marked "opinion"

top of the page, left corner. It's actually the very 1st thing on the page if you ignore the menus.

4 minutes ago, asus killer said:

As far as I know it wasn't flagged as an opinion piece when it was originally published. I believe it was originally in the "News" section alongside the earlier article from Tom's Hardware "Why you shouldn't buy Nvidia's RTX series graphics cards (yet)" https://www.tomshardware.com/news/wait-to-buy-nvidia-geforce-rtx-gpus,37673.html

The writer/editor is starting to back track on the article and has edited the article slightly and changed it to an "opinion" piece due to the community backlash surrounding it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

18 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

I like how the guy claims we see in resolutions.  Hey guys, I'm going to set my eyes to 8k today.  But, I might be a bit slower today.

I don't know about resolution, but I generally see things in 24fps.

I blink a lot.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

19 minutes ago, asus killer said:

top of the page, left corner. It's actually the very 1st thing on the page if you ignore the menus.

I can only assume they added that,  I couldn't find it before (not that it wasn't there) but I am sure I wasn't the only one looking for explanations for the claims.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

14 minutes ago, Spotty said:

As far as I know it wasn't flagged as an opinion piece when it was originally published. I believe it was originally in the "News" section alongside the earlier article from Tom's Hardware "Why you shouldn't buy Nvidia's RTX series graphics cards (yet)" https://www.tomshardware.com/news/wait-to-buy-nvidia-geforce-rtx-gpus,37673.html

The writer/editor is starting to back track on the article and has edited the article slightly and changed it to an "opinion" piece due to the community backlash surrounding it.

i have no idea about the editing the text, i am not going to read that crap again.

But as to the opinion in the top of the page it has been there from the very 1st time i seen it, you can check on tech jesus video, it's there.

I have no idea if they changed prior to tech jesus video, but at least it's been there since at least the 24th, considering that article is from the very same day i am skeptical of said change but i don't know either way

9 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Its been confirmed to be a genuine article and not one of Satire in nature. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

7 minutes ago, asus killer said:

But as to the opinion in the top of the page it has been there from the very 1st time i seen it, you can check on tech jesus video, it's there.

I have no idea if they changed prior to tech jesus video, but at least it's been there since at least the 24th, considering that article is from the very same day i am skeptical of said change but i don't know either way

Hmm, strange. I could have sworn it was listed in the News section when I saw it (shortly after GN posted his video), but if it is showing as Opinion in his article video then I must be mistaken.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Why are people getting so cut up about an opinion piece? It's the opinion of an individual, not a review.

He is the editor in chief of a respected review medium, and as such should have professional integrity. What he did here is threw all of that out of the window, and wrote a really bad consumer advice article which says to the consumers "You should have blind fate in a product, based on nothing". That is literally the opposite of what both he, and Tom's Hardware should stand for. 

Not even to mention calling his colleague names. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

just because it's an opinion clearly marked as an opinion it would be no less weird as a doctors writing an editorial defending smoking is good for you. And if it were satire it was stupid because you can't tell either way and people reading may end up believing it.

I could swear it's not published  as opinion at first. The 2nd time i read it, it's marked as opinion piece.

Edit: 1st time I read it before i know about any GN vid. 2nd after the vid.

Edited by Winnieid

On 25/08/2018 at 10:41 AM, leadeater said:

I tried but no matter how much I brought I wasn't saving any money. Is it because I'm buying AMD GPUs? Must be that.

Works fine for Titan V's and playing WoW! Sure the NVLink is disabled; but it saved me a fortune!

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q