*UPDATED 9/5/2018* Tom's Hardware's Editor in Chief's Controversial RTX Article

-rascal-
Just now, Sauron said:

Yes, but angular resolution is completely unrelated to what we talk about referring to screens - mainly in that it depends on distance. It also doesn't work on a fixed grid, as you said your brain does a good job of piecing together a set of data over some time.

No it's not, angular resolution is totally related,  The angular resolution of the eye will determine the resolution required in a screen (for a set distance) where it can no longer see individual pixels.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, I mean he made a bunch of outlandish/illogical claims and disses his own employee while ranting.  So, uh...

Thus proving it's not hard to mis-represent science and facts when on a crusade to promote a personal opinion.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Hoo boy, can't wait to see how this plays out. I'm sure this new Editor in Chief will take this criticism humbly and make amends for the transgressions.

Oh wait, this is Tom's Hardware.

2f9.jpg

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

So can we now call them Tom'sShittyHW in honor of being the new Shittech?

This isn't Tom's first shitstorm and I highly suspect not their last. I kind of write them off for anything other than scraping specs or architecture information from reviews or their forum

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

So can we now call them Tom'sShittyHW in honor of being the new Shittech?

tomsccftechardware ?

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Funny thing is I actually own more ATi/AMD cards than Nvidia. xD

ATi/AMD I owned were ATi Rage XL, 128, HD 2900XT, and HD5850

Nvidia cards, GeForce FX5200 and 6600GT.

My brother from FX5200. Worst card I ever owned. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

If Condoms were sold like PC parts

Standard Edition - $6.99 for pack of 24
MTBF: 6 minutes

Pro Edition - $9.99 for pack of 12
MTBF: 8 hours

RGB Edition - $14.99 for pack of 12
MTBF: 13 seconds

Just don't preorder the Father's Edition.

It's a really bad value.

23 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

For me it wasn't, then again back then performance wasn't the reason i went with it. It support dx9 and it was cheap.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

This article really is bordering on insanity. o.O

Real-time raytracing in a video game is impressive for sure, and I'm excited to see it adopted and improved upon over time. But that's the kicker; even if performance with RTX enabled is impressive it's ultimately meaningless if developers don't implement support for it in their games. And in spite of NVIDIA's boisterous claims that it "just works" it definitely requires the not inconsiderable effort of the game's development team to implement. I think that even if we're thinking of an ideal scenario, the first-gen RTX release is never going to have instant and widespread adoption - it will take time for developers to gauge their interest in it, let alone test and implement it. By the time developer adoption becomes more widespread the first gen lineup will probably be borderline antiquated. I entirely agree with Linus' comments on last night's WAN show here.

The biggest concern for RTX in my view is the technology that'll go into the next-gen consoles. It's unlikely they'll feature an NVIDIA GPU and so far AMD haven't announced (or even been rumoured to have) a competing real-time raytracing implementation (Radeon Rays isn't the same thing). If all they have is support for software-implemented raytracing then it's very possible that developer adoption of RTX could suffer strongly as a result for the vast majority of multi-platform games.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Honestly this article could have done the argument but it approached it totally wrong. This is what I would do if I were to ask to buy it now.

1) You can resell it for higher price due to Shortages.

2) You can get a refund if you don't like it.

3) By the time you get the card performance numbers will be posted (assuming you were on the first back order), so effectively you can cancel the order if you don't like the performance numbers. It's much easier method of getting a refund.

This is basically a no risk and high reward method. But the article went totally a different way in forcing it's opinion about a product before it's launched. 

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

No it's not, angular resolution is totally related,  The angular resolution of the eye will determine the resolution required in a screen (for a set distance) where it can no longer see individual pixels.

What resolution you stop noticing individual pixels does not mean having even higher doesn't make any difference. In fact, you can notice. Image still becomes sharper after you stop noticing individual pixels.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

For me it wasn't, then again back then performance wasn't the reason i went with it. It support dx9 and it was cheap.

Same reason old CGN cards are awsome today.

This is about the quality of article I have come to expect from Tomshardware. They're not much better than CNET, if at all. 

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Got an FX5500 and a FX5800, the 5500 overclocks like a BEAST! :D

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

TH look to be pretty desperate since nobody uses them anymore.

Sad!

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

This guy has lost his freaking mind.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

2 hours ago, Mihle said:

What resolution you stop noticing individual pixels does not mean having even higher doesn't make any difference. In fact, you can notice. Image still becomes sharper after you stop noticing individual pixels.

Remember this is the maximum:

6/6 vision is defined as the ability to resolve two points of light separated by a visual angle of one minute of arc, or about 320–386 pixels per inch for a display on a device held 25 to 30 cm from the eye

So if you cannot resolve the difference between two points of light at said density and distance, then it doesn't matter how many more pixels you put in between because your eyes can't see them.  It just becomes a blur.

Why are people getting so cut up about an opinion piece? It's the opinion of an individual, not a review.

17 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Why are people getting so cut up about an opinion piece? It's the opinion of an individual, not a review.

Because literally telling people to just buy the cards, before actual release and reviews, is insane. You can do a positive opinion piece on Nvidia, RTX and Ray Tracing without telling people to just buy the cards with only Nvidia marketing hype to inform you of the product.

LOL every1 is getting trolled so hard.

Its a troll article, or if u like, a sarcastic one.

There is no way a person could write that with a straight face or even mean it. Seriously ..... I dont get why people are discussing it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

There is no way a person could write that with a straight face or even mean it. Seriously ..... I dont get why people are discussing it.

Watch some Alex Jones, CNN, David Hogg, and tell us that you still think that there is no way someone could write this article as a serious piece.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.