*UPDATED 9/5/2018* Tom's Hardware's Editor in Chief's Controversial RTX Article

-rascal-

That's why, this week, so many users, including our own Derek Forrest, are advising shoppers to hold off on buying one of Nvidia's new RTX graphics cards.

However, what these price-panicked pundits don't understand is that there's value in being an early adopter.

wow throwing one of your employees under the bus

It's funny how one split moment can define your career just like that.

Like, 5 minutes before he clicked "Send" he was the Editor in Chief of a reputable reviewing site and everything was OK and 5 minutes after he did so, his reputation and credibility in the industry is totally annihilated.

As a funny side note: a lot of that article would've made sense if 2080ti was literally the last GPU NVIDIA released. Then you can talk about the opportunity cost because whether you buy it now or 5 years later, nothing will change and the faster you get it the longer you get to enjoy the benefits.

But arguing that you need to buy it now because in future years more titles will have RT when we can predict with virtually 100% probabilty that there will be newer and more powerful cards make this argument hilariously out of touch.  

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I tried but no matter how much I brought I wasn't saving any money. Is it because I'm buying AMD GPUs? Must be that.

I mean the statement is stupid and sounds like something a used car salesman would say but I imagine there is some reasoning behind it if we play devil's advocate. Like the more cards you buy the more productive you'll be (making more money, getting things done, less waiting time or something) or buying 10 Turing cards gives you more compute at a lower total price than the amount of Pascal (or AMD) cards you'd have to buy to match it.  Or something... I simply have to believe there is some thought process behind it other than sleazy salesman.

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

I mean the statement is stupid and sounds like something a used car salesman would say but I imagine there is some reasoning behind it if we play devil's advocate. Like the more cards you buy the more productive you'll be (making more money, getting things done, less waiting time or something) or buying 10 Turing cards gives you more compute at a lower total price than the amount of Pascal (or AMD) cards you'd have to buy to match it.  Or something... I simply have to believe there is some thought process behind it other than sleazy salesman.

No matter how much truth behind it there is it's still 100% sleazy salesman, the product being good or having a great value doesn't really change that. When you're pushing a product on to people insisting they buy it without actually evaluating the need or requirements is one easy way to be sleazy salesman.

5 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

So.....the article is not satire?

Nope, not satire. Tom's Hardware aims to be a trusted and reputable publisher and reviewer.
It's just a really stupid and heavily opinionated piece that doesn't make a lot of sense, probably pushed out quickly without much thought or effort put in to it due to the number of clicks an article based around "Should I buy RTX2080" would generate with current search trends.

Here's a satirical article for comparison. (not specifically about RTX2080, but you get the idea)

Nvidia and AMD come clean: “We make one graphics card and then just paint it red or green”

PC gamers have reacted angrily to a joint admission by Nvidia and AMD that both companies have been working together to make identical graphics cards, then simply paint them red or green and ship them off.

“We can’t live a lie any longer,” confirmed Nvidia’s CEO Jen-Hsun Huang as he stood side-by-side with AMD CEO Lisa Su at a joint press conference organised earlier today. “This has gone on too long. It’s time that we set things right.”

The press conference included a walkthrough of the joint graphics card factory, which showed a highly advanced production process that finished up with sheepish-looking workers carefully painting the cards red and green and coughing in an embarrassed fashion.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/nvidia-amd-difference

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Nope, not satire. Tom's Hardware aims to be a trusted and reputable publisher and reviewer.
It's just a really stupid and heavily opinionated piece that doesn't make a lot of sense, probably pushed out quickly without much thought or effort put in to it due to the number of clicks an article based around "Should I buy RTX2080" would generate with current search trends.

Here's a satirical article for comparison. (not specifically about RTX2080, but you get the idea)

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/nvidia-amd-difference

Well, not sure what to say really... this is looney tunes territory at this point....what is happening to the world? 

I think people are misunderstanding the situation a little. It looks like Tom's Hardware were doing an article against the 20 series and an article in favor of it, with neither being the site's official opinion on whether to buy.

The article in favor just got way too tongue in cheek and ended up as hardcore shilling. I might cut them some slack if it was some newly hired writer, but this was written by their editor in chief...

6 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

I think people are misunderstanding the situation a little. It looks like Tom's Hardware were doing an article against the 20 series and an article in favor of it, with neither being the site's official opinion on whether to buy.

The article in favor just got way too tongue in cheek and ended up as hardcore shilling. I might cut them some slack if it was some newly hired writer, but this was written by their editor in chief...

Feels like all tongue and no cheek to me though. I go with "If it feels like or sounds like a sales pitch then it is one", it's one thing to cover a product and it's technological and feature merits but to actually advocate purchasing it crosses over that line. Even with actual reviews of products, which doesn't exist yet for these products, they only advocate it's value if you were to buy one not tell you to buy one.

55 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No matter how much truth behind it there is it's still 100% sleazy salesman, the product being good or having a great value doesn't really change that. When you're pushing a product on to people insisting they buy it without actually evaluating the need or requirements is one easy way to be sleazy salesman.

And it smells...

Really really bad....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Thaldor said:

Also it seems Avram Piltch made the normal "Throw s*i* in and run away"-maneuver. No replies, no comments, just the article and off to spend a weekend without brownstorm.

sounds like adoredtv, basically another "reputable" journalist I can add to the "doesn't deserve the click" list.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Holy balls!

Even being one of those "crazy" preorder guys (yeah, I said I won't... but it being sold out everywhere changed my mind. I just want it ;-) ).

Seriously, what a craptastic article.

You should never recommend buying anything without a benchmark.

Hell, I want condom benchmarks before buying them!

I don't even want others to preorder. Just don't do it if you would notice the money leaving your pocket (not everyone cares about 1k here or there, that does not make those people "bad" tho).

Glad i removed TomsHadware from my "watch daily" list like a year ago. Their articles just got worse and worse. This is a new low tho.

Just now, Rattenmann said:

Hell, I want condom benchmarks before buying them!

"Hold on baby, they don't sell my regular brand, so I just have to pull up some reviews and benchmarks first"
*5 minutes later*
"Hmm, the reviews say this one gets 6/10 for comfort but 9/10 for protection from STDs, while this one has 8/10 for comfort but is only rated 7/10 for STD protection... Hmm..."
*10 minutes later*
"Okay... I've decided. I'm going to get this one, baby.... Baby? Hey, where'd you go?"

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

16 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Definitely need a MTBF rating on your condom benchmarks.

If Condoms were sold like PC parts

Standard Edition - $6.99 for pack of 24
MTBF: 6 minutes

Pro Edition - $9.99 for pack of 12
MTBF: 8 hours

RGB Edition - $14.99 for pack of 12
MTBF: 13 seconds

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If Condoms were sold like PC parts

Standard Edition - $6.99 for pack of 24
MTBF: 6 minutes

Pro Edition - $9.99 for pack of 12
MTBF: 8 hours

RGB Edition - $14.99 for pack of 12
MTBF: 13 seconds

TEMPERED GLASS CONDOMS: JUST BUY IT

3 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

TEMPERED GLASS CONDOMS: JUST BUY IT

Life is short. How many months or years do you want to wait to enjoy a new experience? You can sit around twiddling your thumbs and hoping that tempered glass condoms gets cheaper, or you can enter the world of stylish TG sex today and never look back. When you die and your whole life flashes before your eyes, how much of it do you want to not have tempered glass condoms?

Imo what thg article is trying to say is, if your getting a new card anyway, might as well take the plunge, and just go with the rtx 2080, instead of the gtx 1080. You're already spending a great amount on the 1080, why not just spend $200 dollars more and go with the 2080. Benchmarks only shows how good a card performs, but you also have to factor in the features it has. So instead of worrying about performance and complaining about price, just get the newest card, and enjoy the games that takes advantage of the features the new card has to offer. 

Now this all depends how each of us thinks and which side we lean more towards on, performance or features. Let's say 2080 performs slightly worse than 1080, would you 

A) Get 1080 and miss out on realtime raytracing

or 

B) Get the 2080 for realtime raytracing, and who cares, if the card performs slightly worse than 1080. 20fps difference isn't going to bother me that much.

The article does seem to tap into psychology of reasoning. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology_of_reasoning

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

All you need to do is take a look at the comments section of that Tom's Hardware article to realize the majority of their userbase wasn't enthused by the article either.

This is one of the most fun articles I have read, probably ever. This is the epithome of what I can write since my IQ dropped that much just by reading it. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

18 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

This is one of the most fun articles I have read, probably ever. This is the epithome of what I can write since my IQ dropped that much just by reading it. 

Mine has increase. :P

Wait does that mean, i get smarter by making stupid decisions. :oxD

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list