Ransomware Protection Solutions

Ok, does anyone have any idea if an Enterprise type ransomware backup solutions that uses hardware not sofware exsists for personal/commercial use and does not require additional software.

I know it's sounds a bit stupid but I'm just wondering

Backup? Offsite Backup? File Versioning? Snapshots?

I don't know any hardware solution but personally using backup and ZFS filesystem with snapshot actually save my but a few time after fail vm updates or incorrect setting.

Magical Pineapples

3 minutes ago, EMC said:

Backup? Offsite Backup? File Versioning? Snapshots?

I don't know any hardware solution but personally using backup and ZFS filesystem with snapshot actually save my but a few time after fail vm updates or incorrect setting.

Well a local, full drive mirroring that has built in protections against ransomware.

A bit of a stretch I know

2 minutes ago, halfbloodedkiwi said:

Well a local, full drive mirroring that has built in protections against ransomware.

A bit of a stretch I know

I mean that is kinda overkill, I am pretty sure ransomware need phone home to work and if you have network setup probably and have IDS/IPS you can block majority of these attacks. It is much easier and cheaper to setup backup scripts to a main server which has versioning/snapshot support.

I mean windows has built ransomware protection and basically only allow write to certain users/application that is certificates and allow by user action. Software such as malwarebtyes also offer this protection but I don't know how the mechanism work.

Magical Pineapples

11 minutes ago, EMC said:

I mean that is kinda overkill, I am pretty sure ransomware need phone home to work and if you have network setup probably and have IDS/IPS you can block majority of these attacks. It is much easier and cheaper to setup backup scripts to a main server which has versioning/snapshot support.

I mean windows has built ransomware protection and basically only allow write to certain users/application that is certificates and allow by user action. Software such as malwarebtyes also offer this protection but I don't know how the mechanism work.

You do make a very good point of it being an overkill, which yes it is. Well the thing with hardware solutions, which you find in some Enterprise network infrastructures, they will rarely, if not ever fail when it comes to ransomware Protection because it works on a detection of file encryption unlike software solutions which sometimes can have a period of time between point a and b where the software cannot fully render new ransomware attacks as useless. Also some software solutions because of things like we saw with wanna cry, the ransomware can be forwarded by an established network connection. Hardware beats software in all cases.