Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moorbs

Do I need to do a fresh Windows 10 install going from intel 4690k to 8700k?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Will it make much of a difference if I just install the new drivers?
I don't want to lose all my installed programs and games.

If I do do a fresh install is there an easy way to transfer them?

CPU swaps don't need a reinstall, just take the old cpu drivers out and get the new ones.

Edit: As other forum members have kindly made me noticed, I completely missed the Motherboard swap that was involved and didn't think about it, skip this comment and read on. As well as a typo in the message, I meant chipset drivers either way (Yes, I know, chipset drivers are motherboard-orientated, not CPU), not cpu drivers.

Edited by O-T

I like hanging out and conversing about tech and stuff, commuting from forums to discord every so often.

It's best to do a re installation so you don't face any driver conflicts and issues surrounding that. 

|| ℍ𝕚 𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕪𝕒 || 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: GTX 1080 || Memory: 16GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Noctua D15 || PSU: 750W EVGA G2 || Case: Define C

you can do a "soft" reset that'll keep your settings + documents but reinstall system stuff that could cause issues

If you judge a fish based on its ability to climb trees it will go its whole life thinking its a failure.

4 minutes ago, O-T said:

CPU swaps don't need a reinstall, just take the old cpu drivers out and get the new ones.

4790K to 8700K most definitely requires more than a CPU swap :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Matty2048 said:

you can do a "soft" reset that'll keep your settings + documents but reinstall system stuff that could cause issues

Any idea how I go about doing that?

1 minute ago, Moorbs said:

Any idea how I go about doing that?

One thing you could do is run sysprep.exe which will clear out your drivers to avoid conflicts when doing something like this.

9 minutes ago, O-T said:

1) There are no "cpu drivers"

2) He is also changing the motherboard since those CPUs don't use the same socket.

3) You should always clean install when changing motherboards.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

its in the recovery part of the settings 

settings->update+security->recovery

If you judge a fish based on its ability to climb trees it will go its whole life thinking its a failure.

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

4790K to 8700K most definitely requires more than a CPU swap :P

Nah dude. Just download a new CPU. Simple as that!

Always remember the 80/80 rule of project management. That is, the first 80% of the project takes 80% of the time, and the last 20% of the project takes the other 80% of the time.

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

Nah dude. Just download a new CPU. Simple as that!

yeah 

Gonna save this thread for later. I'm upgrading to 8086k from 4790k so this has lots of useful info.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

12 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Gonna save this thread for later. I'm upgrading to 8086k from 4790k so this has lots of useful info.

I'm gonna try a sysprep later today so I'll let you know how it goes. If that fails I have an M.2 SSD coming which I can hopefully use as a boot drive to do a fresh install while keeping the data on my current SSD.

I ran sysprep and I've lost all my files that were in my 'user' folder on my c drive but my SSD (C drive) is still full. Would have been better off just trying out the new mobo as it was. Now I'm gonna have to do a fresh Windows install and I hadn't backed up my files. 

22 hours ago, Matty2048 said:

It will remove 3rd party apps. 

3 hours ago, Moorbs said:

I ran sysprep and I've lost all my files that were in my 'user' folder on my c drive but my SSD (C drive) is still full. Would have been better off just trying out the new mobo as it was. Now I'm gonna have to do a fresh Windows install and I hadn't backed up my files. 

Damn, sad that you didn't try just boot instead of listening bad advices here.

Gretat help, guys. And next time try to not giving advices if you have no experience.

BTW. I switched from 3470 to 8700k. Without any problem and without losing any data.