Facebook owned VPN pulled from App Store due to privacy concerns (im shocked)

ItsMitch

S: The Verge

Facebook' owned VPN service Onavo Protect has been pulled from the app store after Apple expressed grave concerns over it's users privacy. The app itself is known to "monitor smartphone users behaviour outside of it's core application, in which helps facebook collect data from users". Apple and Facebook have met up to discuss the issue and it came to a conclusion that it'll pull the app from the store as it was found to violate Apple's DA (developer agreement) and App Store guidelines 

Facebook has insisted that "We've always been clear when people downloaded Onavo about the information it collects and how it's used" in a statement to The Verge, following it up by "As a developer on the Apple platform, we follow the rules they've put in place"

Onavo, which began as an Israeli analytics startup focused on helping users monitor their data usage, was acquired by Facebook in 2013. Its VPN provider then became a data collection tool for Facebook to monitor smartphone users’ behavior outside its core apps, helping inform Facebook’s live video strategy, competition from other social apps, and its decision to acquire companies including WhatsApp.

Onavo Protect also allegedly violated a part of the iOS developer agreement that regulates how app makers make use of data outside the core function of the software. Onavo Protect is a VPN service, and yet Facebook has been using the traffic routed through its private servers for broad analytic purposes. Apple was not immediately available for comment

I'm really stunned by this new news... I'm literally shocked, never would of thought this would ever happen. 

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah, I'd be concerned too if a big ass company known for privacy issues owned a VPN.

But... Facebook have never caused harm to anyone at all! 

take this with sarcasm, cheers

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

34 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Ah tits. 

Happens to the best of us. Worse is when 2-3 news outlets are a week behind and THEN you find it's a repost

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

15 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

is it bad that i kinda want this thread to keep running to see how the comments turn out ,_,

back on topic: Doesn't android forces users to accept all privacy allowances to download the app (before they could change it afterwards)? o_o or has that changed since?

You accept it when you download it but allow or deny when the app runs. 

21 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

is it bad that i kinda want this thread to keep running to see how the comments turn out ,_,

back on topic: Doesn't android forces users to accept all privacy allowances to download the app (before they could change it afterwards)? o_o or has that changed since?

You can block the app from very specific permission but it's not the best 

Screenshot_20180823-173821.thumb.png.195241ec976df1cf029a4056516d115d.png